IGNORED

Drilling Stock Mufflers

attachment.php?attachmentid=44918&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1273520139

I did this to mine this week. I love the sound. I had RK pipes so my stock pipes were just sitting around collecting dust so I said "what the heck". One of the best mods I've made. I will keep the stock pipes with tips. They look and sound better.:thumbsup2:

I see that all of these are on RSV's....i have a '96 RS (4 pipes, 2 on each side).

Can this same mod be done on all 4 of my pipes? Has anyone done this? What does it sound like?

Thanks in advance.

ps here's a pic of my "new" girl. Quite a bit different thank my flyin' brick ....daddy likey!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/dbikers/2012-07-20_11-40-40_132.jpg

just need a comfy seat and stretch the boards fwd a bit.

John

Edited by dbikers

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Has anyone done this mod without the dremel extension? Looks like I can get in far enough with just the dremel by itself. I don't want to have to fork over $30-40 for the extension if I don't have to.

Sounds like a great mod, been wanting to do it for a while just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks and ride safe!

1/2crazed

Guest scarylarry

Find a set undrilled HD pipes, sounds much better..

Anytime I tried to alternate the OEM exhaust I always came out with a sound like mouse farting in a coffee can..

+1 on the HD pipes. I just switched over and at first I was gonna take them off and do a stage 1 mod, but after riding them for a while I've decided to leave them alone. A bit of a deep rumble at idle and plenty loud enough for me at speed.

I had V&H long shots on my Roadstar. Can't beleive anyone would ride behind me in those days. -lol

Anytime I tried to alternate the OEM exhaust I always came out with a sound like mouse farting in a coffee can..

Guest scarylarry
+1 on the HD pipes. I just switched over and at first I was gonna take them off and do a stage 1 mod, but after riding them for a while I've decided to leave them alone. A bit of a deep rumble at idle and plenty loud enough for me at speed.

I had V&H long shots on my Roadstar. Can't beleive anyone would ride behind me in those days. -lol

Only took me till the next red light to make my move when I got behind V&H..

My ears rang for 2 days....:rotf::rotf:

Hey guys,

Has anyone done this mod without the dremel extension? Looks like I can get in far enough with just the dremel by itself. I don't want to have to fork over $30-40 for the extension if I don't have to.

Sounds like a great mod, been wanting to do it for a while just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks and ride safe!

1/2crazed

The ones on my 06 were done with a torch by the previous owner. Still looks factory until you get down and look in the hole.

has anyone put 4 hd pipes on a royal star? does it need to be re-jetted? how does one of these sound with 4 hd pipes on it?

thanks in advance

Guest scarylarry
has anyone put 4 hd pipes on a royal star? does it need to be re-jetted? how does one of these sound with 4 hd pipes on it?

thanks in advance

Not to my knowledge

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello, everyone! I just joined so I'm sure I'm way behind on this. I've been adding accessories to my 2007 rsmv for the last year! Now it is time to give more sound! I'm glad I came to this forum cause I had only read that drilling out the back baffle was the only way to change the sound without rejetting. Tried cutting the weld on the back cone, no such luck. Hard weld used I think. I will try cutting the pipe instead! Thanks to all for this info!

• 5 years later...

Hate to bump and old thread to the top, but... None of the pics of this mod are available here on the thread. Anyone have a pic of this mod having been done so a new owner can take this on. Recently bought an 03 RSV with stock exhaust. I would like my scoot to be louder, but currently lack the funds to install aftermarket exhaust. I have drilled out baffles before (06 VTX 1300) but I am having a hard time deciphering what is being said needs done here.

Hate to bump and old thread to the top, but... None of the pics of this mod are available here on the thread. Anyone have a pic of this mod having been done so a new owner can take this on. Recently bought an 03 RSV with stock exhaust. I would like my scoot to be louder, but currently lack the funds to install aftermarket exhaust. I have drilled out baffles before (06 VTX 1300) but I am having a hard time deciphering what is being said needs done here.

And remember, you can get Harley take-offs in new condition for $50 and they sound great.

Freebird Thanks for adding the pics back into the thread. It is clear now what needs to be done. :D @Ratferd I will have to keep my eye out for some HD takeoffs. Trouble is here in Idaho I only have one local HD dealer and they believe anything they sell is worth its' weight in gold. :doh:

Freebird Thanks for adding the pics back into the thread. It is clear now what needs to be done. :D Ratferd I will have to keep my eye out for some HD takeoffs. Trouble is here in Idaho I only have one local HD dealer and they believe anything they sell is worth its' weight in gold. :doh:

Code word, EBay. Thank you very much.😂😂

Thanks for the ebay link. I will have to run this by the money keeper and see what she says. Fortunately for me she rides as well and firmly believes that part of being seen is being heard!

Dont forget Facebook Marketplace either. Just looked and there’s 7-8 sets close by me in Texas.

If you go the Harley take off route be cautious of any from model year 2010 and few years prior. Around that time frame Harley had the catalytic converter inside the right muffler. Their exhaust design flows primarily through the right pipe hence the cat in that side. We want our engines to exhaust equally left and right so you want to avoid those with the cat.

I acquired a free pair from a guy cleaning out his garage. He had them in his aftermarket pipe boxes and as I lifted them out I could feel the weight difference between the two. A visual check with a flashlight confirmed it. I tried to drill, beat, and anything else I could think off to try to remove it and ended up ruining the muffler. $25 later I bought another LEFT muffler on eBay. Two lefts on my bike and nobody knows the difference.

:D Ratferd I will have to keep my eye out for some HD takeoffs. Trouble is here in Idaho I only have one local HD dealer and they believe anything they sell is worth its' weight in gold. :doh:

Ask around about local "HD Indy's" ( Independent HD repair shops). I can put my finger on 4 of them within 20 minutes max from me in my rural town in NH. Don't waste your time with a HD Dealer.

I get HD take-off mufflers whenever I want for $0.00 from these Indy's since they have to dispose of them anyway. They are just glad to get them out of their shops.

Craigslist and Facebook are other alternative sources.

If you go the Harley take off route be cautious of any from model year 2010 and few years prior. Around that time frame Harley had the catalytic converter inside the right muffler. Their exhaust design flows primarily through the right pipe hence the cat in that side. We want our engines to exhaust equally left and right so you want to avoid those with the cat.

I acquired a free pair from a guy cleaning out his garage. He had them in his aftermarket pipe boxes and as I lifted them out I could feel the weight difference between the two. A visual check with a flashlight confirmed it. I tried to drill, beat, and anything else I could think off to try to remove it and ended up ruining the muffler. $25 later I bought another LEFT muffler on eBay. Two lefts on my bike and nobody knows the difference.

I forgot, you’re exactly right. I believe it’s 2008 and later.

Appreciate all the additional info regarding HD takeoffs. I will keep my eye out for a set and see what I can come up with. I am fortunate that the chirp on my bike isn't loud, so I am not trying to drown that out. I would just like some sound coming from the back of my bike. It's a big bike, I'd ideally like it to sound like a big bike. :missingtooth:

I put some Harley OEM mufflers on mine and they only cost me $50 from a guy that used to run a small shop. Here is a short clip of what they sound like. I think they are just standard equipment on touring models and they sound even better going down the road.