IGNORED

Drilling Stock Mufflers

Interesting discussion... I am new to the forum website. My 2001 RS Tour Deluxe has stock mufflers and I also would like to get a little more sound quality. footsie, I look forward to seeing your pictures posted. I 'm an old retired senior and may consider this idea. Just like the idea of a little more low end sound. Thanks for the help! JIM from Knoxville TN.:2132: If anyone is in the Knoxville,Tn area in the near future, I would like to hear a bike with this stock modification. I have a set of Roadhouse slip-ons off my V-Star 1100 silverado, but probably will not work on the tour deluxe.

Edited by jpbragwell1215

• 7 months later...

Hi all, I have a 2007 RSTD, I am in the UK and this is an import from the US, as they don't sell them in the UK, I am going to try the dremel drilling to cut the centre outlet pipe as described, but I wanted to check that this mod will work on my pipe for sure, before I start cutting, as spare parts are rare over here.

I understand the principle above, but I would like you to look at the photo of my end pipe to confirm it's the same mod. The end of my can looks sealed with a baffle plate around the full diameter, it has the centre pipe which is recessed inside the pipe (not sticking out the end) and there are two tiny holes top and bottom, and four large holes around the centre pipe.

The four large holes don't look modded or drilled out, but I wanted your opinions on whether this is a standard looking 2007 RSTD pipe suitable for the dremel mod above.

Cheers

Paulhttp://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/sconieroany/IMAG0142.jpg

sconie, it "looks" like your mufflers have already been modified. Those 4 holes do the same thing as the mod that has been described.

Edit: Here is a pic of the rear of my '07. Only one big exit hole. Those 4 in yours will actually add up to more that that one large one plus there is still some exhaust coming from the center hole.

http://www.daraq.com/images/RSVmufflers.jpg

Edited by BigBoyinMS
added pic

Thanks for your reply, I can't find many other photos of the rear of the stock pipes, but looking at yours it may well be the case they have been drilled by the previous owner, he never made mention of it though.

Only thing is the sound is a bit quiet for my liking, having had a vmax with a cobra 4-1 and a fatbob, I was looking for a bit more rumble. I better keep the dremel handy then :whistling:

With your bike idling take a rag over your thumb and stick it in that center hole. Feel for exhaust coming out the 4 small ones. I did this mod (the 4 holes) and simply did not hear much difference at all. I put road king pipes on and to be honest it still is quiet. I just think these bikes are not meant to make noise :rotf:

With your bike idling take a rag over your thumb and stick it in that center hole. Feel for exhaust coming out the 4 small ones. I did this mod (the 4 holes) and simply did not hear much difference at all. I put road king pipes on and to be honest it still is quiet. I just think these bikes are not meant to make noise :rotf:

HA!! ... put a set of competition Khromewerks on ... you'll hear some "noise".

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

• 1 month later...

I have a first gen 83 and the sewing machine exhaust was driving me insane so I followed someones tips and cut the tip off the end and the end baffle out with a hole saw and it made a world of difference to the overall sound and performance of the bike. Love it. Would definatly recommend it to anyone trying to get a better sound out of their bike

I am curious what the stock mufflers used for a clamp? I have some aftermarket (HD?) slash cuts on mine. Thinking about going back with a stickers cause I don't care for the look of these.

Thanks

Frank

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, I have a 2007 RSTD, I am in the UK and this is an import from the US, as they don't sell them in the UK, I am going to try the dremel drilling to cut the centre outlet pipe as described, but I wanted to check that this mod will work on my pipe for sure, before I start cutting, as spare parts are rare over here.

I understand the principle above, but I would like you to look at the photo of my end pipe to confirm it's the same mod. The end of my can looks sealed with a baffle plate around the full diameter, it has the centre pipe which is recessed inside the pipe (not sticking out the end) and there are two tiny holes top and bottom, and four large holes around the centre pipe.

The four large holes don't look modded or drilled out, but I wanted your opinions on whether this is a standard looking 2007 RSTD pipe suitable for the dremel mod above.

Cheers

Paulhttp://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/sconieroany/IMAG0142.jpg

My pipes are drilled this way also. I would like to make them louder. Hey

If I cut the center pipe and moved it to the side would I run into an issue with running the bike too lean? I dont have the cash right now to buy $500 slipons or rejet the carb at the dealer. I would like some more growl the cheap mans way if possible.

I just did the dremel trick of cutting the inner pipe to swing it out of the way and I gotta say the sound is great, not too loud or obnoxious but a nice throaty sound.

It took about 25 cutting discs. What I didn't gather from the other post is that there is an inner sleeve in the outlet pipe and that you actually cut through 2 pipes. Used a screwdriver to move the loose pipe up and out of the way and now it sounds great.

Thanks to all for the mod suggestion.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would push this post back to the top. There may be some new members or some who missed it. I did the Dremel modification yesterday and put 100 miles on the bike today. This is a fairly easy and inexpensive modification. And the bike sounds great. But not so loud as to get complaints from the neighbors. Thanks for the pictures of the muffler and the easy to follow instructions.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

First I didn't invent this mod. but I sure do thank whoever did. I used my dremel tool adapter with a cutter bit. I ended up using about 20 of the cutter wheels. first pic. Reach into the pipe about 2 inches with the adapter and cut the double pipe. Then push the pipe down. See pics. That is all there is to it.

A couple of notes. The pipe is double walled the first few inches. On my first muffler after cutting through the first wall of the pipe I took a chisel and pushed it back so cutting the second wall would be easier. While I was doing this the inner wall now a small sleeve suddenly released and slid all the way into the muffler. Not really a problem but It could rattle around later. On the second muffler I just cut through both walls and there was no issue. I am now using both mufflers and they sound great.

If you decide to fore go this procedure and drill holes in the ends of the mufflers just remember there are two baffles you must drill through. If you only go through one you will get little to no improvement in sound.

Mike

60356.jpg 60357.jpg 60358.jpg 60359.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Mike,

thanks for the pictures and instructions. What you showed me and told me is not what I was about to do to my exhaust. Now if I decide to accomplish this it will be much easier with your instructions and pictures. I don't even own a dremel so would have to buy that first. I also see an extension which I would guess will allow me to get further into the exhaust to make the cut. Again, thank you.

Elliott

Mike,

I bought a dremmel tool and 2 packages of the cut off wheels with 20 each in a package. I only used about 15 wheels so I think I did well. I took the bike out for a 100 mile ride and really enjoyed the new sound. Not too loud, just the right amount of sound. I could still play my I-pod over the speakers and enjoy the music. So glad I joined this forum. I am learning a lot about the bike. After about 6 bikes in the last 13 years, this is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I sit up straight, my feet are the right distance on the floor boards without my legs hurting and I have love the reach to the handlebars. My back has not bothered me at all. When I owned the 2006 Road King Classic I could only ride about 30 minutes and my back was killing me. I had to add the riders back rest in order to ride it. With my posture on this bike I have not had any back pain. So happy I made the investment.

Thanks again for the help.

Elliott

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

hmmmmmm... anyone know if this will work on my 86 1st Gen? My outlets have turn downs with a spring holding them in place... at least I think. I've never tried to remove the spring andf see if the turn downs slide off. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jay