IGNORED

Engine noise

I researched a bit of this today, and oddly enough, the V-Twin 20w-50 synthetic (Mobil 1) isn't JASO MA rated, though the Racing 4T 10w-40 synthetic is (see attachment).http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112492

I thought this might be a trend, as Castrol says its 20w-50 "has been engineered and tested for performance in Harley-Davidson® motorcycles". But when you look at the specs, it IS JASO MA rated (MA-2, even): https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motorcycle-oil/motorcycle-engine-oil/4-stroke-engine-oil/power1-v-twin-4t.html

I found it very odd on Mobil-1's part that the 20w-50 V-Twin synthetic omitted this.

The manual does recommend at least Standard JASO MA (and API service SG type or higher).

Castrol is good stuff. Will probably have to use that due to Mobile lack of JASO MA rating since Yamaha specifically mentions that rating. I want to run a full synthetic since they are less susceptible to heat breakdown than petroleum types.

I researched a bit of this today, and oddly enough, the V-Twin 20w-50 synthetic (Mobil 1) isn't JASO MA rated, though the Racing 4T 10w-40 synthetic is

Harleys run a separate transmission/engine/clutch oil. None of them ever touch, You can run Brylcreem or genuine v-twin un-Jaso rated oil in your Harley engine. Not so on the Yamaha.

Castrol is good stuff. Will probably have to use that due to Mobile lack of JASO MA rating since Yamaha specifically mentions that rating. I want to run a full synthetic since they are less susceptible to heat breakdown than petroleum types.

It's just the 20w-50 that's suspect. The Mobil 1 10w-40 checks out fine, and is one of the ratings specified in the SVTC manual.

Thanks everyone for their info. It is definitely not pinging That sound I know makes sense it could be valve train noise.I only use premium but may switch stations also does not decrease performance. Had first service done at 1300 KMS and they used Yamalube and a Yamaha filter. Loving this new bike out handles my 2001 wing one or two up. On the highway in the wind not near as much blowing around it is so far best machine I have owned.

I love mine as well...but the Yama Mama paint job could be much better...not too impressed with that...but everything else about the bike...yessir!

OK I found a post over at the oil site (Bob's) and someone contacted Mobil about the JASO MA standard and here is Mobil's reply:

The only reason why Mobil1 V-TWIN 20W50 is not formally JASO-MA rated is because we were not willing to reduce the ZDDP levels.

-- Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.

If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

Apparently the new JASO standards require less ZDDP as they claim it damages the catalytic converters on vehicles, there is no conclusive evidence that higher levels of ZDDP in a properly running engine has any effect on the life span of a catalytic converter but the federal government makes manufactures warranty catalytic converters for many years past a vehicles normal warranty period so the manufactures decided less ZDDP was the way to go.

I like a lot of ZDDP in my oils and I have never had a catalytic converter go bad in my vehicles.

Edited by American

Just for information on the Yamalube oils:

10w-40 is conventional all purpose oil.

20w-50 is conventional all purpose oil.

10w-50 semi-synthetic.

20w-50 semi-synthetic.

15w-50 full synthetic.

So Yamalube comes in either semi-synthetic or conventional oil in 20w-50 so if you don't want conventional oil but want to run 20w-50 make sure you are getting the semi-synthetic version of Yamalube 20w-50.

If you want to run full synthetic you only have 15w-50 as your choice in Yamalube.

This is for those who only want to run Yamalube brand oil.

Redline synthetic oil meets Yamaha's SG or higher requirement and it meets the JASO MA standard, so Redline is another choice if you want to run full synthetic engine oil. I have run Redline synthetic oils in all my vehicles for years, I run Redline 0w-20 in my wife's 2016 Honda Civic Touring with a Turbo Charger, I run Redline 0w-40 in my 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 liter Hemi engine, I ran Redline 10w-40 in my old 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, I ran Redline 20w-50 in my 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low as well as Redline Primary oil and Redline Transmission oil as the Harley has three separate holes to fill.

But.... the owners manual does not state 15w-50, so Yamalube full synthetic is not recommended for this bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to assume the owners manual is a type-o because I did a search and can't find a 15w-40 Yamalube oil. I do find the 15w-50 yamalube.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/yamalube-products/engine-oils?taxo_productdepartment_ss_facet=30&taxo_productcategory_ss_facet=95&taxo_productcategory_ss_facet=93&dealernumber=&taxo_productcategory_ss_facet=94&nw=yamaha-motor-company

My dealer also lists a full synthetic oil change package, they actually offer three levels of oil changes, Conventional oil, semi-synthetic oil and full synthetic oil.

Edited by American

You guys might want to run a 10W-40 oil since it is a jap bike with finer clearances. Heck, according to the chart, if you use 10W-40 oil you are looking at a maximum ambient temp of 110 degrees. At 110 degrees yall won't be riding those things anyway.

3rdgenoil.jpg

The Harley boys love to swill their 60W when it gets to 90 degrees ambient just because they have 1/4 inch clearance on their pistons knocking around in the air-cooled barrels and only have oil to cushion them.

harleyoil.jpg

Yall might want to consider 5w-40 Rotella T6 Synthetic

Edited by Du-Rron

I did some more searching and all the 15w-40 oils are all diesel oils.

Pretty sure the manual and service manual are just a type-o and they meant to list 15w-50 which is the only 15w grade they make that would be for this bike, they also make a 15w-30 full synthetic but that is a race oil and normally race oils do not have all the additives a street oil has in them because race engines are serviced more often with shorter mileage intervals than a street engine.

You guys might want to run a 10W-40 oil since it is a jap bike with finer clearances. Heck, according to the chart, if you use 10W-40 oil you are looking at a maximum ambient temp of 110 degrees. At 110 degrees yall won't be riding those things anyway.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112494

The Harley boys love to swill their 60W when it gets to 90 degrees ambient just because they have 1/4 inch clearance on their pistons knocking around in the air-cooled barrels and only have oil to cushion them.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112495

Yall might want to consider 5w-40 Rotella T6 Synthetic

Problem with Yamalube 10w-40 is it is a conventional oil. I rather not use a conventional oil in an air cooled engine when synthetic is superior.

Problem with Yamalube 10w-40 is it is a conventional oil. I rather not use a conventional oil in an air cooled engine when synthetic is superior.

15w-50 Yamalube full synth is going in mine at the dealer today as I’m heading out to Phoenix in a month. I’ll ask about the omission in the manual.

15w-50 Yamalube full synth is going in mine at the dealer today as I’m heading out to Phoenix in a month. I’ll ask about the omission in the manual.

The Yamalube 15w-50 should be a good oil as it contains ester based synthetic in it. Redline oils are a full group V ester synthetic, but some group IV synthetics will add group V ester to them because of the benefits of ester being a positive charge and will cling to the metal parts better than a straight group IV PAO synthetic will.

I do not know if the 15w-50 is a PAO group IV synthetic with some group V ester added to it which is fine or if it is a full group V ester synthetic. Either way from the sounds of it the Yamalube 15w-50 full synthetic sounds like a good oil.

OK Yamalube is adding some ester group V to their PAO group IV full synthetic oil which is fine you still get the benefit of the polarity of the group V Ester.

Here is a video about Yamalube from Yamaha and you can see as the video plays some large V-Twin Yamaha's being rode in the video.

Edited by American