IGNORED

Cold Weather/Winter Gear

Beardyspice

Good Morning Everyone!

Lately I've seen a lot of posts where people talk about riding to work or taking rides with temps in the 40s. Apparently I'm a wimpy southerner, because once the temps drop below 60, I struggle. Granted I ride a RSTD without any kind of fairing and rarely use my windshield (which I know would help). Last night I went for a night ride and the temp was 54 degrees. Honestly, I live in atlanta and as such should be able to ride mostly year round. I want to get better at riding in the cool/cold.

My question: What is the best cold weather gear you use? :snow2::snow2::snow2::snow2: Any must have items that you can't live without in the cold? Any tricks or tips? Or am I just a wimp? Also, anyone in cold areas wear an open face helmet? I love my Bell Custom 500 and cant stand the steaming up of a full face.

Just curious what everyone's thought/feelings are.

Thanks,

Sean

When I was still working(Retired) I would ride my RSV to work 50 miles one way from spring till fall in north central MN. Sometimes temp would be in the high 20's. I wore an old one piece snowmobile suit, insulated gloves and I would have a flip shield on my open face helmet. On the really cold days I would add a really thin facemask. I would wear those knee high all rubber boots to try and keep my feet from freezing. Stay warm

Sean,

Between work and life I don't get the chance to ride as much as I would like.

So anytime I get the opportunity I take it and that means if the temps are on the low side I bundle up.

I have a 1st gen mkII 86, so it has a full fairing and windshield, but you still can feel the wind and cold.

Only time I don't ride is if there is extremely windy or there is a chance of ice and/or wet leaves all over the place.

Went for a 100+ mile ride last weekend. Temps were in the low 40's to 50's.

I have ridden when the temperature was in the 20's.

I wear a set of insulated brown duck coveralls, flannel shirt and insulated boots.

Add insulated under garments depending upon the expected temperatures.

Best recommendation is to have an outer layer that will break the wind and adjust inner layers as required.

I use a full face modular helmet that allows the face to flip up.

It has enough room that I can wear a knit head covering that covers everything but my eyes and nose.

It is long enough to cover my neck both front and back.

That along with keeping the coverall collar up and closed keeps the air off the back of my neck.

As to fogging up, an anti-fog spray can help, but I just crack the face shield up a notch and/or open the vents on the helmet.

The biggest problem that I personally have is with gloves.

I have relatively small hands and too much thick insulation makes it difficult to hold the grips comfortably.

Here again, gloves that break the wind help a lot.

I find that I mind the colder weather as I get older.

Never bothered me when I was younger.

Argo

I used to ride in the cold with a full face helmet and a ski jacket that was made with hollow fibers. It had a high collar. The cold did not penetrate that jacket at all. I still have that jacket but, alas, it must have shrunk over the years because I can't zip it up now.

Currently, I have a heavy coat that I wore when I worked in Wisconsin. that and a full face helmet will keep my upper body warm except for my hands. Leather chaps for the legs might work.

Edited by BlueSky

I live in Houston so the weather should be similar. I had the '06 Venture (had full fairing and lower deflectors), now I have the '18 SVTC but no lower deflectors. 55 - 65 I wear Leather Jacket, jeans and thin leather gloves. Around 50 I add a military neck gaiter given to me by my son. Under 50 I just add the liner to the leather jacket. I used to call it quits at 40 but with the SVTC, the heated seat and grips basically take that a lot lower. From just below the knee to the upper thigh would be cold. I've been debating chaps and I do need new gloves (I've worn holes in them). I need to add that I wear a half helmet with the muffs for a Cardo headset at all times, including over 100. My wife just picked up some faux leather from Hobby Lobby ans said she is going to make me a set of mini chaps. Should be interesting. As a kid in NE Ohio I wore long johns, Jeans, heavy leather coat, ski gloves and heavy boots and rode in everything except icy conditions. Even below 0 a couple of times which was awful but when you have nothing else you do what ya gotta do.

I wear a Tourmaster heated jacket under my Tourmaster mesh jacket with rain liner installed, Gerbings heated gloves, and a modular helmet. ( When I wore an open face helmet I also wore a balaclava.) On the bottom I wear thermal underwear, motorcycle denims, and rain pants. On my feet wool socks and very waterproof cycling boots. I have never had to turn the electric past the mid point settings. I do ride a full faired RSV. Two weeks ago I returned from a weeklong trip were the last day started at 26 degrees and ended at 45 degrees. I had an enjoyable last day. During 50 years of road riding I have cobbled together countless riding outfits attempting to stay warm and dry. And I have experienced many miserable days in the saddle being wet, cold, or wet and cold. I finally started researching quality gear, prioritizing my spending, and those miserable riding days came to an end. You can spend much more and get better gear than I but mine has been more than sufficient. I hope this helps.

I ride to the office - about 30 minutes (one way) of primarily 65MPH interstate highway almost every day. I wear a Tourmaster jacket with a liner that is about 10 years old, full face helmet, and gauntlet type gloves. Just jeans, casual shoes, and a long sleeve shirt otherwise. The lowest temperature when I leave home (before daylight) is 28 degrees with daytime highs in the 40's. If there is heavy frost or ice I don't ride. If am going for a longer ride in these temps I will wear leather chaps, leather boots, add a sweatshirt, glove liners, and a neck cover thing. I usually can ride, in central Illinois, until Thanksgiving or the first week of December.

Always a full face/modular helmet regardless the time of year but when the temps start dropping below 50 I add the pin lock screen to the visor. Best thing ever for no fogging.

Got a wicked Flashback decades back while stopped at an early Walmart on I-75 between Cinci and Atlanta.

Here's a young Kid on a naked 650-ish Yammy, so cold he's leaning over a coffee held with both hands, and couldn't stop shivering.

We didn't have much extra US cash left, but slipped him $20 and said: "Buy a rubberized rain jacket 'n pants."

Wasn't gonna help heat, BUT at least stop the wind. Can't remember destination, but it was a long way to go, and the poor Kid had to be at work the next day. By the time he got home, that bike's tank would have knee dents on both sides of the tank.~

Rgds, WRIDR

I'm in NE Ohio and ride as long as the roads are clear. I wear a set of cold weather gear from XElement bought from Leatherup.com. The set I have is about 10 years old so it may not be available anymore. I think I paid around $150 for the jacket and pants together. I wear a full face modular helmet and a full face gator when it's below 35 deg. or so. I did spend a good amount of $ on a pair of water proof Joe Rocket insulated gloves and and boots. I might consider going heated when I replace the gloves and boots.

Sean,

I just got back from a little 10 mile ride in 40 degree weather (sunny out). I wanted to see how light/moderate riding gear would do in the cold.

I just wore regular jeans socks and shoes, a long sleeved T under a long sleeved button down shirt under a non-lined leather jacket.

Leather gloves and a 3/4 helmet with a shield. I thought I'd be ok or only a little chilly as it was only 40 degrees out.

It was an eye opening ride. I froze my ass off.

I needed wool socks, boots, thermal underwear, (much)better gloves, a thicker motorcycle jacket, a scarf and a ski cap.

I'm planning on heading back out when it hits 50 degrees, wearing the same gear in order to better judge what cold weather gear I need and/or what temps to try to avoid.

Bill

Sean,

I just got back from a little 10 mile ride in 40 degree weather (sunny out). I wanted to see how light/moderate riding gear would do in the cold.

I just wore regular jeans socks and shoes, a long sleeved T under a long sleeved button down shirt under a non-lined leather jacket.

Leather gloves and a 3/4 helmet with a shield. I thought I'd be ok or only a little chilly as it was only 40 degrees out.

It was an eye opening ride. I froze my ass off.

I needed wool socks, boots, thermal underwear, (much)better gloves, a thicker motorcycle jacket, a scarf and a ski cap.

I'm planning on heading back out when it hits 50 degrees, wearing the same gear in order to better judge what cold weather gear I need and/or what temps to try to avoid.

Bill

I used to ride all year round, not so much these days mainly because of the new ice-melting crap they use on the roads now because it eats wiring and connectors like crazy. But a beautiful winter day ride can be very invigorating.I wear full face and a snowmobile suit. I even road my 1975 Canam 250 TNT 15 miles through one of the worst snow storms this area has seen back in the mid seventy's and was the only one to make it into work. The deep snow was no challenge to the bike, but coming home on fresh plowed hard packed snow was. first ride of 2014a.jpgfirst ride of 2014b.jpg

Saddlebum,

I bet it was invigorating and a whole lot of fun!

Mercifully I don't need to ride to work or out of necessity. I just know there will be some cold (for Atlanta anyway...lol ) days coming up when I'll still want to ride.

It was interesting to learn the leather gloves didn't hack it. I kind of knew just regular jeans with no long johns would be problematic.

Bill

...beautiful bike, btw.

Here's my winter weather gear..

Underrmour (the stuff runners wear - skin tight top and pants)

Leather trousers

Tshirt - Jumper - Fleece - Wax Jacket (oversized to fit the fleece under)

Full face helmet - Snood - Winter Gloves

Snug as a bug in a rug - it'll be about 3c (37f) tomorrow and I'll be nice and warm

Saddlebum,

I bet it was invigorating and a whole lot of fun!

Mercifully I don't need to ride to work or out of necessity. I just know there will be some cold (for Atlanta anyway...lol ) days coming up when I'll still want to ride.

It was interesting to learn the leather gloves didn't hack it. I kind of knew just regular jeans with no long johns would be problematic.

Bill

...beautiful bike, btw.

Ahh this particular day it was not out of necessity. It was just a for the pure love of riding on a beautiful winters day. The snow storm ride was because I knew I could get through with the faithful ol enduro and if need be leave the road to get around traffic, since I was use to doing winter enduro's. Were as the cage could get blocked behind other vehicles who have no idea how to drive in the snow. Edited by saddlebum

36 F when I left the house this morning in Houston. Gear listed above. The heated seat and grips on the SVTC help a lot but the wind over the top of the thighs was cold. Was I cold, yes. Was I uncomfortable, not really. Tomorrow should be a good test though as the low should be 30. As long as there is no reports of ice on the road it'll be another good day to ride. I still need new gloves though :rolleyes:. Will have to check if I have some of the old ski gloves, not sure after 14 years in Houston.