IGNORED

1st time rider - opinions on bikes

XV1100SE

My daughter (30 years old, 5'5") got her M1 license yesterday (graduated licensing - M1 is first level) and will be taking the training class in May (pass training and gets M2). She asked me about a 2018 Suzuki GSX250R and thought I'd get feedback from members on this bike.

She has ridden with me (on Virago and Venture) and has been passenger on a Ducati. She won't get a bike until after the training.

So....thoughts on :

- GSX250R - good bike? Other options like the Honda CBR300 ? Comparison?

- is a 250cc twin a good option or would she be needing something bigger as she gains experience?

Found this : https://www.cycleworld.com/which-small-sportbike-should-you-buy-in-2018

A lot has to do with her intended use of the bike.

If there will be highway driving, a 250 may be a bit small. It is just barely enough power to keep up with traffic and has nothing left in reserve to power away from a bad situation. The light weight will make it more prone to wind gusts coming off the front of big vehicles.

If all or most of her riding will just be putting around town then the 250 should be fine. Around here most of the places that do beginner MC training use 400s. A 400 will be a lot safer on the highways and still light enough for a small person to handle.

As far as which bike would be best make or model for her to start on, It has been way to long since I rode a non touring bike to even know what is out there.

If she was looking at a cruiser I would have suggested a VStar 650. I agree with your thinking that a small bike wouldn't be good on a highway and that is the same reason I would have suggested a VStar 650. I'm not familiar with riding a sport bike so I can't offer her a lot in the way of experience there. A 400 or 500 would be good I would think in a sport bike. I don't want her to get something so small that she wants to upgrade in a year when she could handle a slightly bigger bike that would last her for years.

Agree with a lot of what Flyinfool said.

I held a UK m/c license for years before coming to Canada, after coming here as I hadn't ridden for a number of years I took a training course in 2012 & took the full BC m/c licence road test.

The course used 250cc Yamaha cruiser style bikes. The owner said they used cruiser style bikes as they were "more difficult to ride well" than the off-road style bikes that most of the other schools used.

I just found the 250's felt way too small & insecure for me (6ft & 200lbs) The school also had VStar 650 & 1100 Yamaha cruisers that felt much better. But the 650 Yam felt a bit cramped for me.

Before taking my test & so that I could get some daily practice in I bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 900cc & was totally delighted with it. Heavier, felt more stable on the highway & in winds, also Ok for riding two up.

Years later I also bought my Royal Star Tour Deluxe. A much heavier bike (& TOp heavy too) Now that initially "heavy" Vulcan feels like a toy when I ride it, I guess my techniques have improved too. It's all about familiarity.

I have to say that when I was looking, many folks recommended a 650cc bike as an absolute minimum.

I was astounded, because when I was a young guy 650's were seen as absolute monsters! (eg Triumph, BSA etc) Shows how things have changed. I would add that 650cc cruiser style bikes have a completely different power delivery 650 sport type bikes. I would definitely go along with the recommendations I was given back in 2012 & would make similar ones for your daughter, but I think she's leaning more towards "sport bikes" from the models you quoted.

In our riding group there are a LOT of lady riders, many own 650's fewer have 900's &1100's but they all love what they have. There were a couple of young ladies riding Suzuki & Kawasaki 350 & 400cc sport bikes too. But completely different riding style to the cruisers.

Tell her to try some out, see what feels right for her. A bike that's good for one rider may not suit another.

Good luck to her! Hope my ramblings help.

Edited by Kretz

Well, if she is like the rest of us, the first bike will quickly become a second bike. So I would look for a good used bike to put a couple thousand miles on and then decide.

If she has already ridden bigger bikes, a 250 will be too small too soon. At 5'5", being able to flat foot the bike will be crucial to enjoying motorcycles for years.

So, I would look for a bike she can flat foot, and has abs brakes, and not worry too much about displacement. Belt or shaft final drive would be nice.

(I just did a search - "motorcycle 28 inch seat height, abs". There are a lot of great bikes in all styles with short seat height and abs brakes in a wide range of new prices. My favorites were the new Triumph Bobber and the Moto Guzzi V7 III. Even the Harley SuperLow 1200T might be just the thing unless she has a reason to prefer a sport bike. I'll leave to others to point to a sport bike style.)

Edited by tz89

Hi XV1100SE

I rode years ago street and dirt and at 50 I am currently going thru a graduated License in NB, I picked up a 500 virago to get back in the saddle so to speak, and now have a venture. I have friends with multiple bikes so I am able to take out other bikes to try and gain experience.

Not sure if your GL system in ONT is the same as NB but while on the GL you can drive any bike; there is no CC restrictions. I would go to every test ride event put on by your dealers and have her try different models.

I agree with Fyingfool 250 cc is quite small and light even for just City travelling. My 500 is small for me at 5'10".

The course provider will see how she does on the generic bikes (we had 125 Gromes) but had available some 350cc sportbikes and Honda rebels cant remember what cc. In the End the instructors are looking at safety first , then rider comfort this included alot of low speed maneuvering to promote balance and clutch/throttle control. Comfort in the means of leaning in corners panic stops etc.

At 30 years old she at least has driving experience with a car because the next issue is cost of insurance for a new rider. there are many Insurance companies that will not insure new riders or will not take into account total driving experience. I was quoted $1200 for PL/PD for the 84 virago 500 by an insurance agent like this, went to another Ins agent that did and got ins for $350.

Good luck and happy motoring

HermanK84VR

At 73 years of age and riding since 1959, I loved my early rides. Had two Cushmans, one a turtleback and the other an eagle from a Shriner. Then a 250 Honda and then another Honda 305 CL-77. Road that from Omaha to Denver and back, top speed 60 mph. But I was young and alive. She will go through multiple bikes before settling on the ONE.

:farmer:

Don, great advice from the others.

Ultimately she needs to sit on the different bikes to make sure she finds one that is comfortable and she feels confident with her footing.

Of course looks I'm sure will also be a big factor for her, like they are for most of us.

I would suggest as she narrows her choices down to call her insurance and see the price difference for the different bikes. I have heard from some new riders how much more expensive their insurance is for a sport bike. Always good to know before a purchase is made so that price can be budgeted for.

All the best to her. An exciting chapter about to open up to her.

At 73 years of age and riding since 1959, I loved my early rides. Had two Cushmans, one a turtleback and the other an eagle from a Shriner. Then a 250 Honda and then another Honda 305 CL-77. Road that from Omaha to Denver and back, top speed 60 mph. But I was young and alive. She will go through multiple bikes before settling on the ONE.

:farmer:

Don't want to hijack the thread but that CL-77 is one bike that I have never owned and have always wanted. It was one of my favorite bikes. I've had a couple of CL350s and a SL350 but always drooled over the 305 Scrambler. They have gotten very expensive now.

My feeling is she won't put many miles on a 250. Either she'll decide she doesn't want to ride or she'll upgrade it in short order. I see several problems with bikes under 650CC:

• They're so light you can manhandle them around. Can interfere with developing good technique.
  • They're so light they beat the rider up if traveling any distance.
  • They can't keep up.

You got good advice that she needs to have a bike that fits her. I'd suggest she try bikes 650cc and up. If she's interested in sport bikes I'd stay under 1000cc. If they aren't too big for her size I wouldn't cap the displacement on a cruiser. No tourers yer.

The way I think is that it can't be too small for a first bike, the smaller the better. But, buy a used bike, one that she won't lose a lot of money on when she decides to move up in size. My first bike was a CB350 Honda with a rated 36hp and weight of about 325lbs. The engine was actually a 325cc engine and at the rear wheels was probably about the same hp as the Suzuki. It was a great starter bike and I learned how to ride on it. Then I moved up to a CB750.

I would also say 650 would be about the smallest. if she plans on some longer rides (like over an hour). Of course the 400 now probably has the power a 650 back in the 70's. Sport type bikes are defiantly going to push rates up, especially a new rider. The bolt is a sharp bike as is the 900 vulcan. I can vouch for like a 2007 900 vulcan as I had one. By now the used market they should be decent priced for a first time bike. The bolt is fairly new.

An SV650 is a spectacular little machine. Very light and flick-able, should be great for a first rider if said rider has the strength and stature. You can buy nice ones from CL all day long for about $2000-3000. Not enough power to get into trouble, but enough that it wont be outgrown right away. Ample power for highway use. Also more fun and the handling is more intuitive than a cruiser style scoot.

Always my first instinct when reading about a new rider is to suggest the safety course that already has their own starter bikes.

Having dealt in the sales of bikes for many years and coming from a large family I was often asked to assist in a bike purchase for new riders in our family. My response was ALWAYS = "I would be glad to assist, get the good deal and all that BUT = if I am gonna be involved it has to be done my way, that being 1 year riding the woods with me and pass my version of having rider skill development before hand OR, just jump on this little Honda XR100 and show me you already have those skills = the skills that will give you a fighting chance on the crazy roadways bikers have to face everyday". For testing I look for fully accomplished balance, clutch, brake and throttle control,, skills that need to be fully developed and applied without having to think thru each step of shifting up/down, taking off from an intersection with no stalling and on and on. IMHO, roadways are no place to learn those skills and they should flow from the new rider by instinct so all their focus when riding can be on whats going on around them.

Don, if your daughter has not aquired those skills and she were my adult daughter, I would offer to pickup a used XR100 or something similar and offer to spend the time working with her in a vacant parking lot doing stop and goes, figure 8's, running thru the gears and all that. Being able to OWN (and I am referring to the riders ability to easily manhandle the bike when I refer to "own") a bike is a huge advantage to brand new rider when developing those skills so they are not fighting the weight factor too, plus this sets them up for a lesser failure/lower discouragement rate with learning to ride and tends to lay the platform for a lifetime of happiness in riding, all this IMHO of course.

If the skills I am speaking of already flow from her like a fountain of effortless delight and you are comfortable with her abilities I would suggest locating something that can get out of its own way (I REALLY like the +500cc idea) under throttle and that she can flat foot at a stop - at least for her first bike. The V-Star line is generally good for this but so are the Kaw Vulcan, Suzuki Intruder and Honda Shadow and even the Sporties. I have gone thru numerous sales of each and ridden with folks on those models too and can tell you that personally I have been impressed with the durability of them for both around town use and even some cross country touring.. I mention them all because the cruiser models tend to sit lower and be more comfortable/easier to "own" for the shorter legged rider than even the smallest of "crotch rockets"..

Thats my opinion brother,, consider the source :missingtooth:

What ever she decides, please pass on a wish on my part for her to FULLY ENJOY her new adventure!!!

Puc

Edited by cowpuc

My second bike was a '99 Virago 1100 SE (hence my handle of XV1100SE on here). First was a Kawasaki KZ305.

If my daughter was leaning towards a cruiser I would definitely recommend the VStar 650 or similar. I was more concerned about power to weight ratio on a sport bike and was thinking that because sports bikes are usually lighter she could go with lower cc's (sport bike around 500cc ?)

I agree with first bike being a used one. First bike is just that ....a first bike. She has lots of experience riding pillion and will be taking the motorcycle training course.

My criteria for her first bike would be :

- not too big/heavy/powerful for a first time rider

- feels comfortable for handling, seating position, flat footed

- recommendations/reviews comparing same style/size for handling, stopping, etc

Thoughts on whether a first bike should be a sports or cruiser style? I'm sure there are pros and cons to both ways. In my view, a cruiser would be a better starter bike.

Just make sure that you are with her when she goes looking at bikes, You really do not want her to fall into the trap that my next door neighbor did. The salesman convinced him that a Hayabusa was a great stater bike for someone that never rode before and had to much pride to take a riding course.:scared: The sales man pointed out that it has a throttle so you do not have to use all of that power. At least the sales man did also talk him into ATGATT. He dumped that bike many times.

Having gone through this with the EX, I'll say this start with your absolute minimum engine size for intended use. at 5.5 she's probably 125 or less in weight so anything from 250 cc up would be adequate across the board unless she plans on doing a lot of free way driving. While bigger bikes "feel" more stable they also have a larger cross section to pick up wind. For an inexperienced rider ( i don't care how many lessons in this miles on board is the key) even being passed by a big truck ( lorrie) can be a terrifying experience as the bike just moves away from the wind.

After you pick a reasonable engine size for a first bike, take the time and go to literally dozen of bit shop till she finds one she's is comfortable on without moving pegs or bar or anything. then find that bike that fits in the appropriate CC range. by the first one used and cheap!!! It will quickly become the old bike or the other bike or she may decide its not for her!

again she has to feel comfortable and in control everything else is secondary other first bike!!

IMHO if you go the route of the Yamaha Star series 650, take a look at the 1100 as well. It seems as a lot of riders outgrow the 650 after about a year or so, whereas the 1100 doesn't.

Choosing a bike is really a personal choice and a lot depends on just how the bike feels when you throw a leg over! When the right bike for you comes along, you just know!

A cruiser bike that hasn't been mentioned is the Suzuki Savage / S40. 650cc single cylinder, enough torque to get moving briskly and obtain decent highway speeds but a bit slower to rev as a big-thumper so it's not "twitchy" throttle control. I know quite a few women that started with them and held onto them for 3-4 years.

Edit: Also note that chassis dynamics of a H.D. Sportsters are not beginner bikes. While they are smaller displacement and lighter the rake & trail make it less stable than most other small displacement cruisers on the market.

My second bike was a '99 Virago 1100 SE (hence my handle of XV1100SE on here). First was a Kawasaki KZ305.

If my daughter was leaning towards a cruiser I would definitely recommend the VStar 650 or similar. I was more concerned about power to weight ratio on a sport bike and was thinking that because sports bikes are usually lighter she could go with lower cc's (sport bike around 500cc ?)

I agree with first bike being a used one. First bike is just that ....a first bike. She has lots of experience riding pillion and will be taking the motorcycle training course.

My criteria for her first bike would be :

- not too big/heavy/powerful for a first time rider

- feels comfortable for handling, seating position, flat footed

- recommendations/reviews comparing same style/size for handling, stopping, etc

Thoughts on whether a first bike should be a sports or cruiser style? I'm sure there are pros and cons to both ways. In my view, a cruiser would be a better starter bike.

Hi Don,

Vicki is 5'5" she has/had the exact same issues for legroom. She tried several bikes, first was the venerable GN250, she tried sitting on so many bikes and nealy always it was the lack of toes on ground that 'killed selection'. Even the Royal Enfield 500 singles were too high. The two cruisers that fit her best were the XV650, and the little 650 single (savage) suzuki.

There is ONE really good option for a sportbike IF you can find one, and it will last her, is the Yamaha SZR650. It is a little 'old' now, but I still see the odd one here for sale with low mileage. I've attached page links. I have ridden one of these over our local 'hoon hill' the Rimutaka's 900mtrs and twisty like the dragon's tail. Result was a SEVERE grin issue. We are talking the venerable 660single in a TZR250 (2T) frame.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_szr660%2095.htm