IGNORED

The future of VentureRider.org

Freebird

I won't deny that I have occasional thoughts about what the demise of the RSV would mean for our site. I don't dwell on it because I'm trying real hard now days to not stress over things that I can't change. We still get new members almost every day so VentureRider is in no danger of shutting down anytime soon. Still, I can see it dwindling over the years if the Venture is not brought back.

I got a message just this week from a member who commented that the posting seems to have slowed down a bit. I haven't looked at the webstats in a few weeks but at that time, we were still fairly consistent. I can certainly understand that it would slow down though. Even if the traffic remains about the same, there is so much information already posted that people who are good at searching can probably find answers to most issues without ever posting a message. I think we long ago reached a point to where a huge amount of the technical stuff has been resolved and posted and much of what we have now is the social aspect of the club. There are those who love the social aspect, I'm one of them, and those that would like to see nothing but tech information. The site is set up so that each member can hide forums that they aren't interested in so hopefully caters well to both groups. I think it is also the fact that summer is finally starting arrive, even though it was 42F here yesterday morning. Most folks would rather be our riding rather than sitting in front of their computer talking about riding. Again, I would have to look back at our history but I think that we always slow down a bit this time of the year.

So at what point do I pull the plug on VentureRider.org? Not for a LONG time my friends. I love this place and the members here. We are like a big dysfunctional family. We laugh together, cry together, have our little spats and then usually make up at the end of the day. I think that what we have here is very special. If there comes a day when it drops off to a point that I have too much server capacity and bandwidth allocation for our needs, I'll simply scale it back a bit. As long as there are people who come here on a regular basis to break bread together, I will keep this site going.

A new Venture would probably be a shot in the arm for us. Even if it's an air cooled VTwin, I hope that we welcome those new owners and make them comfortable here. New Venture or not though, I plan for VentureRider to be around for a long time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am counting on it my friend.

Where else can I have a laugh and enjoy the company of such a great bunch of people.

Yes that includes that snow maker/trouble maker in Wisconsin. We even like him too.

I recruit people to the site every time I meet someone that may be interested.

Until we actually meet, keep up right and may the wheels keep turning.

Bubber

Thank you Don, you've done a fine job with running this site and smoothing out all the rough roads. I for one hope that it sticks around for a while. Well worth the 12 bucks for all the technical info and others adventures. I'm here to the end.

I for one don't post too much on the site(never have really) but I do check in at least a couple of times during the day(every day) and it would be for me a huge tragedy to loose this site and the friends here. I, too, hope Yamaha will come out with a new Venture, whatever it will be. I'm like a junkie on drugs for it. Not having this site will have me going into dt's.

I first came to this site in 2006 looking for technical info. Asked a question and immediately got an answer from a few members here. Then I started poking around, reading threads, etc and finding more valuable info. The more questions I asked, the more folks here would respond with helpful info. I got to know many of the members and then we attended a Venture West rally in Los Osos. I've been hooked on this site and everyone here ever since. It's like an addiction. I can barely get through a day without coming here to interact with my friends. So tell me ... where is there an addiction treatment center for this addiction when the drug is no longer available? ... There isn't one so that simply means this drug must never stop!

Before I bought my Venture I did a lot of research. This site is one of the reasons I went ahead and bought a 20+ year old bike.

Now that the 2nd gens are also old obsolete models this site will get even more valuable over time. Who knows some day I might even get old enough to get a 30 year old 2nd gen.

The percentage of really good decent people on this site is like no other site of any type I have ever been on anywhere on the World Wide Web.

A lot of this has to due with the countless hours of babysitting that Freebird puts in to make us all happy. I used to admin a website many years ago, I have a clue what he must go through on a daily basis.

We all thank you for your time and diligence, and even sometimes refereeing that you do.

Even the instigators like @Bubber that are just begging for one more snowfall............

Edited by Flyinfool

........Damn straight, Don. I, for one, enjoy the site immensely! Even though I don't contribute often, you folks have guided me through many issues and problems in the past 3 years. PLEASE continue 'cause I find comfort in others that are as nuts as I am!!!! "Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!" - CS Lewis

Just today, I had another reason to keep the site going. In the shop manual it says to remove a lot of stuff to replace the clutch slave cylinder. Well, I found out from this site that it can be done by removing only the cover that is covering the slave cylinder. Today I did it!! It was a little tough but the job was completed successfully in about 2 hours. Where else am I going to get tips like this??????

I come here to check up on things.

I don't own a Yamaha venture or even a Yamaha.

but I do know if I need help with the Honda shadow.

that people here have a vast knowledge of bikes in general

there advice is very usefull. even if it is a joke like hey so it wont start did you check the gas? the kill switch ect ect.

and believe me that yes it can be just that simple.

then there are those who will walk you through it.

or offer to help if you can get it to them. or if they have time to stop and do it.

there are some who wont do it for you but will direct you while you do it by standing there and watching. and if you goof they will jump in and say here let me show you just this once.

I also come here to check up on the health of members as yes I do care.

like I say we maybe all be nuts but together we make one power full oak tree LOL

I have vr.org set up to launch as a tab when I start my browser so I check it daily, multiple times a day (even at work). I try to offer suggestions and tips based on what I've read in the past and my experiences with the second gen. I try to "pay forward" all the help and guidance I've received from the great members here.

With the nice weather I've been busy with yard work and riding.

I have noticed that some of the "old timers" don't seem to be as regular any more. Might be their age... they still have Ventures...but ones that used to post a lot don't seem to as much as they used to. Might be a "changing of the guard". And yes, some people have sold their Ventures and the majority have stayed as members.

Keep in mind that those that sell their Ventures sell them to people that buy them. Whole new "flock" of potential members. Any time I talk to a Venture owner the first thing I ask them is are they a member here. If they say they aren't, I tell them they should and tell them why - too many "why's" to list here.

Whether or not Yamaha introduces another version of the Venture (they keep improving with each generation)...there are a lot of Ventures out there. As long as membership stays level or increases and you make some profit, there is no reason to change anything.

As has been mentioned, membership has it's privileges, and friends become "family".

you all know its about our family, Its never been an issue what you showed up on. why should it matter now? I've stayed with this groups for 8 years, I found so many great and wonderful people here. Not even miles can keep me apart. every meet and greet, is like a mini family reunion. To hook up with riders that come to my state ( This house will always be open doors to you.) A Freebird, you can't close it down, I'd have to change all the lettering on my trailer again.

This site is home to many people from as far away as Australia and Iceland. I've dealt with both people who live in those countries. I've ridden roads and tried new places because of this site. I've learned some mechanical things and met people who put their own personal gains aside for the greater good of being a decent human being. This site has THE BEST PEOPLE BAR NONE, and I'm not just talking **** either. When I was announcing my iron butt run, several said to call on them if an issue. When I first joined the site, Don was instrumental in helping me find a good RSV. Patti and Don opened up their home to complete strangers every year, and made me and others feel welcome. Mike the diamond cut guy showed me how to replace my bulbs with LEDs and did this via telephone! When there was a major MC accident in my state, and it was my style and color bike, Yammer Dan called to see if I was alright. OTHER SITES do not go out of their way like we do here. I am not on much, life has temporarily side tracked me. I would tend to believe there is an ebb and flow to the amount of people posting.With the weather getting warmer, people are itching to get out and ride, to meet those people I've talked about. Life changes and sometimes there really isn't a whole heck of a lot to say. Bottom line, this world will of course continue to spin if the site went down, but I would be along side many many others that would say, it would SUCK if it did. So please, everyone. Stop panicking and relax and enjoy the site and the people on it. I mean, do we ALWAYS talk with out nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles etc who live elsewhere? Not always but when we do see them it feels great. That how I feel when I meet you VR members. I feel great and blessed to have the site.

This is a very special site for very special motorcycles. I participate or have participated in many other sites about motorcycles, cars, or trucks and there is no another site that compares with the knowledgeable friendly people on this site.

Thank You Freebird for your efforts and thanks to all the members for making this site a wonderful place to visit!

When I turn on my laptop, whether it is 9am or 3am, I quickly scan Comcast news, check emails and then open VentureRider. I check Watering Hole, then the joke section, then 1st gen tech and then General tech. I do this everyday and most days several times.

The down side for me right now is I have a bunch of stuff going on and have yet to get my bike out this year. I have a Miata (2nd one) on jack stands in the garage replacing the auto trans. I have a Maxima that I am giving to Linda's grandson that needs a rear fuel injector replaced and I also have a 04 Izuzu Rodeo that we originally bought for her grandson that I replaced the engine in and it appears to have a problem with the security system not allowing it to start. Then, on top of all this, Linda and I are getting her home ready to sell.

But, no matter what I have going on, I am still on here several times a day. It's like an addiction.

Randy

I bought my '84 late 2006 as a project bike only knowing a little about the Venture model. As I started going through the bike as a restore my research brought me to this site. Joined early '07, and I believe it was still a "Free" site back then and haven't left yet. The information here brought my bike back to a fully functional and road ready reliable daily rider. Not bad for a 31 year old machine. But the technical information wasn't the only thing that kept me here. It was the people that I've crossed paths with here that made VR the place to stay. Something happened a few years ago that showed me the type of people that linger here. It's been as said many times before, it's family and much more than that.

If VR shut down tomorrow it would be a sad event. To know it will be continue on in any form is comforting. The world of "social media" would not be the same without this site. Facebooks got nothing on this crowd.

So soldier on Don and stay the course. You've brought one heck of a group together over the years. As the old saying goes, you've done us proud.

Thanks to all of you.

Mike

Like others, I found this site while researching the Venture. I was trying to decide what touring bike would be my next "new to me" bike and read many of the tech threads. The information on this site is an excellent resource that helped me feel comfortable buying the 88 that I have almost ready for the road now. I also know what upgrades and mods I will be doing over the next year. The $12 spent is a real bargain for access to such an incredible library of information and helpful people.

Oh, and the people here are alright too. Bunch of characters they are, lol.

I enjoy the site and usually check it daily. I am really hoping that I can make it to Freebird's maintenance day as it sounds like fun and would be cool to meet some of the good people here.

Thanks to Don.

Thanks to all the other helpful folks.

Jeff

What we ride doesn't matter to me, what matters is I've met some great people here, and will meet some more, just would have liked to live closer to them, but when I do see my venturerider friends I cherish our time together. Freebird you've done a good thing getting us together and we're not leaving, and that's all there is to it. One thing to think about, could you think of a neighbor hood, with us all living in it, pretty scarcey thought if you ask me.