IGNORED

Riders meeting: A message to all new members, maybe even for a few of us geezers LOL.

cowpuc

On occasion I hear (and have even spoke it many times myself) of the "good ol days in the club". Funny thing that living in the past stuff can be, all the great memories. Don't know about all the rest of you lop eared long term VR varmints who have been around the club for a while but, as for me, it's easy to miss the crowds of folks who used to party (using that term loosely) here. Watching each others "friends" lists grow was always fun, as was watching in amazement as the endless "thanks" and "likes" icon's appeared in posts made by V-4 guru's who helped us fix our bikes or by clubbers who just enjoyed a comment so much they just had to join the throngs and click on those icon's to join in on the HURRAH felt from the post. And of course, there was ALWAYS the WOWZY WOW WOW WOW factor of the feeling one got when pulling into a rally point of a VR Meet-n-Greet or other gathering of the minds in some land far away as your eyes feasted on the lines of mighty V-4 Ventures and their smiling owners. Be it on the West Coast, East Coast, wayy down yonder in the South or even wayyyyyy up thar in Kanuckian land,,, CTFW for hours on end was ALWAYS worth the trip.

If your still reading this, you are probably wondering what my point is.. Well, take a breath,, I am getting to it:hihi:..

I seriously just wanted to try and orientate some of our new members on how easy it can be to create a really cool online MC club experience (IN NO WAY DOWN PLAYING THE ENDLESS HOURS THAT Freebird AND OUR MODERATORS PUT INTO ACTUALLY CREATING, SUPPORTING, MAINTAINING A CLUB LIKE OURS = NOTHING EASY ABOUT THAT I AM SURE :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:).

Some things you, as a new member can do to make it work in your favor in keeping it all rollin (IMHO of course):

1. When you read something in a post, take a quick "click" on the little "thanks" and/or "likes" icon at the bottom of the post. This makes your friend who posted it feel more at home and will give you those same feelings when they do the same. Maybe get in the habit of clickin one or the other or both as you read.

2. Don't be shy. Your thoughts, opinions, ideas, ride stories w/ PICTURES :happy34:, are ALWAYS appreciated.

3. Don't be to thinned skinned, as in any family environment, an occasional hurt feeling will arise but 99% of the time the varmint who hurt your feelings did not mean anything personal by it.

4. The creator/owner of the site (Don) has spent many many hours masterfully creating, among other things, an "Awards" section for the club. A little research/reading in that section will show you that there is an award available for just about every kind of activity. Don't be afraid to recommend one of your brothers/sisters in the club for one of these awards. When you do, and after the recommendation has been approved, the person you nominated will have an "AWARD" appear in his signature. Award honoring is FUN and is encouraged, at least IMHO.

5. Please do not forget to request/claim your own, earned, "Badge of Honor" if you are one of the amazing individuals in our family who has served in the Military/LEO/EMT or Fire Department branches of public service.. WE LOVE AND HONOR YOU WHO SERVE!!

6. If you find time in your busy schedule to sneak off and attend one of the many club adventures to meet some of these lop eared varmints face to face (be it at a Rally, Meet n Greet or just for a cup of coffee) DO NOT PASS IT UP! Go to the top of a page, find the "Calendar" icon, run thru the months and find a gathering and sign up!! THEY ARE A HOOT!! Also watch the threads where rallies are posted,, lots of opportunities there. Also keep an eye out in The Water Hole for such opportunities - while many times, the meets found there are spur of the moment shin digs, many lop eared varmints have found these outings to be some of the most entertaining.

7. Don't be afraid to post needs in the "wanted" section or buy/sell area's of the site. Many people have been helped finding some pretty obscure items just by mentioning what they are looking for.

8. Take a moment and make sure your signature area has, at a minimum, the year/make/model of the bike(s) you own. This little tid bit is really helpful to those who are standing inline to answer questions that you may have about your scoot.

9. Being a new comer, many folks find making suggestions in answer to someones question intimidating. Try not to be one of those types, learning new tricks to solve old or new problems is always fun and welcome!! Indeed,, you can teach a lop eared geezer varmint new tricks!

10. If you click on a person's name you will be led to their profile. If you look right under their name in the profile, the first thing you will see is "Add As Friend", if you click on Add As Friend you will be given the opportunity to do so and send a request to the person you selected to accept you as "A Friend". You can also look down at the bottom of their profile and see how many friends they have. While it may sound corny, that little Add A Friend thing can get kind of addictive, especially if your a person who really enjoys and treasures friends in life.. Use "Add As Friend" a bunch,, you wont regret it!

11. If you just signed up and find yourself in the "New Members Thread", please dont stop your adventure in our club there,, after getting that message of "Welcome" in that thread,,, head to the Water Hole and make an introduction. "The Water Hole" seems to be the livelier of the two forum thread areas. The last thing you want to do is get missed on your first day on the site!

12. At the very top, upper right hand corner, of every thread is an often overlooked by very useful opportunity for you to rate the thread you are participating in. Clicking on that little icon will give you an opportunity to give little gold stars to a thread you have enjoyed and/or found useful. Just another way of showing appreciation and participating in club fun!!

13. If you start a thread to make an inquiry asking for assistance, please remember to include the final solution you used to solve the issue at the end of the thread no matter how trivial it may seem. THANK YOU Chaharly for bringing this up! If there are ANY more suggestions like this to add in here, be it from you - the new member or from a long standing member - PLEASE make the suggestion!

14. Completely backwards to ways of the road, here in your club house people really LOVE to be summoned. The problem is is that not everyone hears real well. The Bossman (Don/Freebird) solved some of our hard-of-hearing problems by implementing the usage of the "@" symbol. If you find the need to have a certain lop eared club member varmint respond to a post you are making, using the "@" symbol directly in front of the members screen name will get you the quickest response from the person you are looking for. Look at post 14 above. Notice that Chaharly's name is highlighted and underlined? If used properly, this is a good example of how the person's screen name will appear in your post after you post it.

Bottom line,, I have met and am personal friends now with some of the most fantastic, interesting and intelligent people on the planet due to VentureRider.org. Folks from all walks of life and from all over the world (and quite possibly even a couple Aliens from other worlds:cool10:) shave given me the privilage and honor of getting to call them my friend all because of our club. With just a little effort, perhaps you too will find this same opportunity by taking advantage of your 1 dollar a month investment.. I hope you do!

Puc

Edited by cowpuc
3/12/19 - added number #13, thanks Cha!

How did you know that I was from the planet Zoor? I was trying to hide out here.......:stirthepot:

I was actually born with (or I may have been abducted and have had some kind of ET sensor implanted) the innate ability to detect Alien presence. Besides,, everyone KNOWS that no human has the capability of controlling the weather Fool,,, that kind of activity DEFINITELY requires the skilled hands of someone from farrr off in outer space,,, a REAL spacey kind of lop eared ET varmint !!!:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

Very well spoken, Pucster!!!

I first joined this site in 2005 (I think) and immediately became addicted to it!! I was first a member of that "other" site but found this place to be a lot more casual and downright friendly!! Through the years I too have made many, many friends here and sincerely treasure each and every one of them. We have shared good times and laughed bad times and shed tears together. I have never seen such a generous and giving group of rag-tag misfits and varmints in one place! I have witnessed more than one motorcycle secretly restored and presented to individuals in time of need. I have seen and heard of people going out of their way just to help out someone that was stranded or broken down. There have been so many acts of kindness done here that are too numerous to list!!

What many of us have discovered is that this is not just a website, it is one big happy family!! I have enjoyed meeting many members in person either at gatherings or while on the road. I cherish the time we have spent together!!

Yes, sadly this place is not as active as it was in the past, but I do believe the spirit is still present and very strong! Hopefully, our newer members will discover for themselves the magic that makes this site what it is!!!

Very well spoken, Pucster!!!

I first joined this site in 2005 (I think) and immediately became addicted to it!! I was first a member of that "other" site but found this place to be a lot more casual and downright friendly!! Through the years I too have made many, many friends here and sincerely treasure each and every one of them. We have shared good times and laughed bad times and shed tears together. I have never seen such a generous and giving group of rag-tag misfits and varmints in one place! I have witnessed more than one motorcycle secretly restored and presented to individuals in time of need. I have seen and heard of people going out of their way just to help out someone that was stranded or broken down. There have been so many acts of kindness done here that are too numerous to list!!

What many of us have discovered is that this is not just a website, it is one big happy family!! I have enjoyed meeting many members in person either at gatherings or while on the road. I cherish the time we have spent together!!

Yes, sadly this place is not as active as it was in the past, but I do believe the spirit is still present and very strong! Hopefully, our newer members will discover for themselves the magic that makes this site what it is!!!

Thanks for the :happy34: Bongo!

You lop eared varmints want a GOOD READ? Go back up to BongoBob's post and click on one of the little blue/silver icon's under Bongo's name in his post (these are a good example of clubbers taking advantage of #4 on the new comers list of things to make it happen for them!!). A whole plethora of uplifting goodness right there I tell ya:guitarist 2:!! The kind of read that validates what Bongo is stating above. Varmints encouraging/helpin/lovin Varmints,, dont get no better than that....:stirthepot:

Puc, I think You just may have taken over the crown for the most long winded member badge, from our good brother Carl! He's not gonna be very happy with you [emoji856].

All very good points you made, even those who have been around a while need a reminder every so often.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I joined in 2006. Had just bought my Venture and at a Tim Hortons happened to meet another Venture owner. The conversation started in the normal fashion of "so how do you like the venture" which after a few friendly words ended with the other person recommending I check out venturerider.org. I did and I hid in the shadows for a while but bit by bit I became more involved.

The real truth about this site became apparent, when I was run off the road in 2007. The number of total strangers, that suddenly popped up like leprechauns in 4 leaf clover field, to offer help from the hands on to parts and tech info was just mind boggling. At the top of that list was Bongobobny who drove up to my home town of Burlington Ont from Arcade WNY just to Donate parts to my ailing 2 wheeled friend. A guy I did not know from a hole in the ground, Who Showed up at my work with a trunk full of parts and a grin to match. He almost could have passed for Santa Claus had he sported a white beard. He certianly was just as Jolly.

Then I get a phone call from Marcarl another somebody I really did not know,offering to come over and lend a hand. I did not take him up on it, on that occasion but since then we have helped each other out many times on various things. Not long after Wizard765 came out of the mist and became a real in the flesh person number three.

It was not long after, that I began to count them among the best of my friends. and since then as I met more and more members on and off line and through meet and greets, the list of friends grew, too numerous to name. Many surprisingly close by.

I also like the fact that although we are a motorcycle club the hardened biker mentality does not exist like it does in some other clubs that seem to feel they have to put on that hardened biker persona.

Last but not least looking forward to a summer of M&E's and hooking up with all the rest of the loonies in this club of lop ear'd varmits.

Edited by saddlebum

Puc, I think You just may have taken over the crown for the most long winded member badge, from our good brother Carl! He's not gonna be very happy with you [emoji856].

All very good points you made, even those who have been around a while need a reminder every so often.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nahhh,,, @Marcarl knows better than that!!:

Me: :Im not listening to:Im not listening to

@saddlebum: :Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to

MarCarl::Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to

then he takes bite of Hamburger, then he:

:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to

I have been on here probably going on about 10 years now, and I often find myself lurking instead of posting. Hell many time's i'll start writing a response out on my phone, and get frustrated or distracted and then not go back and finish what I'm saying! I'm probably partially to blame for the site slowing down. Well me and people like me :bang head:

Great Post for the new comers Puc, this place is the only MC Club that I'm part of and it truly feels like family!

One thing maybe to add to the list is, If you think about, write a follow up to the thread when you've finished your project so other people know how you fixed your issue:2cents:

I have been on here probably going on about 10 years now, and I often find myself lurking instead of posting. Hell many time's i'll start writing a response out on my phone, and get frustrated or distracted and then not go back and finish what I'm saying! I'm probably partially to blame for the site slowing down. Well me and people like me :bang head:

Great Post for the new comers Puc, this place is the only MC Club that I'm part of and it truly feels like family!

One thing maybe to add to the list is, If you think about, write a follow up to the thread when you've finished your project so other people know how you fixed your issue:2cents:

Thanks Cha!! :happy34:

and, your gonna have to remind me of which "issue" you speak? A lop eared geezer of a multi issued varmint like me has so many issues,, telling one from the other is getting hard to keep all those little issues organized :sign67:

Thanks Cha!! :happy34:

and, your gonna have to remind me of which "issue" you speak? A lop eared geezer of a multi issued varmint like me has so many issues,, telling one from the other is getting hard to keep all those little issues organized :sign67:

Oh No issue of yours Brother Puc. I mean we all know you've got issues :buttkick:, but I wasn't talking about any issue of yours! No I have hard time getting my point across. I'll use an example for what I was trying to say.

Say one of the new members(or old members for that matter) puts a post up saying. "Hey whats this sensor by my TCI?"

The conversation boils down to what the sensor is and how various people would test it.

Then I, I mean the person in the example, go out to the garage and test it, see its working fine and continue on with my life, never to think of that sensor again. Meanwhile everyone on the site is just ON THE EDGE OF THEIR SEATS (sarcasm) to hear about how they tested it and if it worked okay, and people who are working on the same thing would like to test it as well. They go to that post and read to the bottom and see that the topic was never finished. They ask themselves "Did he test it? How did he test it? What did his read? Is there anything I'm missing??" If the original poster of the thread posted a final post saying how they finished that project and how it all went down, it would put that reader at ease knowing someone else has done it successfully.

I hope that made sense. I really regret not taking creative writing classes in school. My brain is absolute mush anymore lol

Oh No issue of yours Brother Puc. I mean we all know you've got issues :buttkick:, but I wasn't talking about any issue of yours! No I have hard time getting my point across. I'll use an example for what I was trying to say.

Say one of the new members(or old members for that matter) puts a post up saying. "Hey whats this sensor by my TCI?"

The conversation boils down to what the sensor is and how various people would test it.

Then I, I mean the person in the example, go out to the garage and test it, see its working fine and continue on with my life, never to think of that sensor again. Meanwhile everyone on the site is just ON THE EDGE OF THEIR SEATS (sarcasm) to hear about how they tested it and if it worked okay, and people who are working on the same thing would like to test it as well. They go to that post and read to the bottom and see that the topic was never finished. They ask themselves "Did he test it? How did he test it? What did his read? Is there anything I'm missing??" If the original poster of the thread posted a final post saying how they finished that project and how it all went down, it would put that reader at ease knowing someone else has done it successfully.

I hope that made sense. I really regret not taking creative writing classes in school. My brain is absolute mush anymore lol

Got er done brother!! Check out number 13.. What do you think?

Thanks for the post Puc.... I think one of the things that qualifies a member as an original is if they suffered thru the great crash of 2006. Those were the "good ol' days"... I'd only been a member for about 6 months and still went thru withdrawals.... 1stGen bikes and owners are still out there, and you're right they need to get active and make some of their own memories.... My favorite expression is ...'it never hurts to ask'...... I wonder if they know we used to have great internationals once a year, and some awesome western and eastern rallys... Maybe some inspired soul will pick up the banner and run with it again.... :thumbsup2:

Thought of another one while in there implementing your suggestion Cha.. What do you think?:

14. Completely backwards to ways of the road, here in your club house people really LOVE to be summoned. The problem is is that not everyone hears real well. The Bossman (Don/Freebird) solved some of our hard-of-hearing problems by implementing the usage of the "@" symbol. If you find the need to have a certain lop eared club member varmint respond to a post you are making, using the "@" symbol directly in front of the members screen name will get you the quickest response from the person you are looking for. Look at post 14 above. Notice that Chaharly's name is highlighted and underlined? If used properly, this is a good example of how the person's screen name will appear in your post after you post it.

Nahhh,,, Marcarl knows better than that!!:

Me: :Im not listening to:Im not listening to

saddlebum: :Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to

MarCarl::Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to

then he takes bite of Hamburger, then he:

:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to:Im not listening to

I think it's only fair,, and I really mean that,,,,, well I think I do:::: when ever we go anywheres and there is a group of varmits along,,,, thens the question: OK who's going to lead this mess??,,, and invariably all fingers point in my direction,,, so I looks behind me to see who else might be there,,,, but NO they is pointing at me,,,,, so I end up leading and getting blamed for u-turns and getting lost and missing the pump station and getting caught in a traffic jamb and being late for lunch because the wrong turnoff was in the right place,,,,, soooooo seeing as I have to lead in that dept I might as well lead elsewhere,,,, not that I am necessarily any good at it for there are much better than me that do a fantastic job of lauding about this that and everything else, but just because it a hard job and somebody has to do it.

IT'S NOT SO EASY BEING ME.............

Thought of another one while in there implementing your suggestion Cha.. What do you think?:

There is a trick to using the "@" symbol. The persons screen name must follow the "@" symbol with no spaces between. The persons screen name must also be spelled correctly. And finally that person must also have that feature turned on in their personal preferences. If all of the conditions are correct then that person will receive an email notifying them of the thread, and they will also get notified on every page up in the top right corner under "Notifications"

ps

It is not in post 14 where Chas name is highlighted, it is in note 13 of post 1:stickpoke::moon::duck:

I think it's only fair,, and I really mean that,,,,, well I think I do:::: when ever we go anywheres and there is a group of varmits along,,,, thens the question: OK who's going to lead this mess??,,, and invariably all fingers point in my direction,,, so I looks behind me to see who else might be there,,,, but NO they is pointing at me,,,,, so I end up leading and getting blamed for u-turns and getting lost and missing the pump station and getting caught in a traffic jamb and being late for lunch because the wrong turnoff was in the right place,,,,, soooooo seeing as I have to lead in that dept I might as well lead elsewhere,,,, not that I am necessarily any good at it for there are much better than me that do a fantastic job of lauding about this that and everything else, but just because it a hard job and somebody has to do it.

And the BEST of the BEST leaders of man on bikes you are too my brother!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Plus,, you have another HUGE advantage over the rest of us lop eared VR varmints,,, you happen to be one of the easiest going, intelligent ,kindest,, (almost said best huggers but its been proven who that is), most helpful person's known to man! And VERY fun to pick on :big-grin-emoticon:

Even though it's not easy,,, PLEASE keep being you brother!!:fingers-crossed-emo

I think it's only fair,, and I really mean that,,,,, well I think I do:::: when ever we go anywheres and there is a group of varmits along,,,, thens the question: OK who's going to lead this mess??,,, and invariably all fingers point in my direction,,,

Hey, the alternative is being back in the group someplace. About once a month I ride with a local group and quickly decided that I needed to be near the front if I wanted to survive. Way too much random braking in the middle of corners had me dangerously close to smacking into someone. In the front, you are free to hit it and leave the confusion behind.

Just my 2 cents.

zag

Hey, You forgot the part about leaving some friends at the campground. LOL :) (But you did give great directions to catch up)

Hey, You forgot the part about leaving some friends at the campground. LOL :) (But you did give great directions to catch up)

Ya,,, I really couldn't include that one because I can only remember doing it once, and seeing as I like to get things right before I can claim it, I will have to have more practice at that most memorable task. Are you joining us again this year???

Ya,,, I really couldn't include that one because I can only remember doing it once, and seeing as I like to get things right before I can claim it, I will have to have more practice at that most memorable task. Are you joining us again this year???

Ol Carl probably got down wind of someone in the Campground grillin dogs and burgers Et and,,, he sniffed a burger and PFFTT he was gone..

There is a trick to using the "@" symbol. The persons screen name must follow the "@" symbol with no spaces between. The persons screen name must also be spelled correctly. And finally that person must also have that feature turned on in their personal preferences. If all of the conditions are correct then that person will receive an email notifying them of the thread, and they will also get notified on every page up in the top right corner under "Notifications"

ps

It is not in post 14 where Chas name is highlighted, it is in note 13 of post 1:stickpoke::moon::duck:

Hey Jeff,, here's a good one for you,,, or maybe even our faithful, hard to be him, Moderator Marcarl can give us the scoop on this one,,,, any idea exactly what club protocol is on using the @ symbol in conjunction with lop eared varmints who chose to put a space between their screen name names when they signed up? For instance,,, lets us my good friend Carbon One for an example.. If I use the @ in front of Carbon One it will not work..

Hey Jeff,, here's a good one for you,,, or maybe even our faithful, hard to be him, Moderator Marcarl can give us the scoop on this one,,,, any idea exactly what club protocol is on using the @ symbol in conjunction with lop eared varmints who chose to put a space between their screen name names when they signed up? For instance,,, lets us my good friend Carbon One for an example.. If I use the @ in front of Carbon One it will not work..

Umm, maybe because his proper screen name is Carbon_One???

Which of course goes back to one of my prerequisites -

The persons screen name must also be spelled correctly.
:rasberry: :stirthepot: :whistling: