IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news !!! I found the breaks in the frame !! Exact same spots as yours were. I am freaking out right now!!! To me my best options will be to find a newer frame that Yamaha fixed ! I will just transfer everything to that frame. Wow!!! This is going to be challenging! What year frame do I look for? Please help , someone!!

The breaks/ cracks are quite profound. It's amazing she rolls. Here is a pic of right side break.

I am going to read Randy's thread.

YEEEOUCHY OUCH OUCH OUCH = that right there is ugly!! Definitely repairable (anything is) and I am sure you are finding that out by reading Randy's amazing repair story Maddy BUT,, thru all the smoke,, PLEASE remember this,,,,, my offer about a a parts bike with good frame stands and is yours = free of charge!! I have donated freebie parts a couple times to help club members at times of need (and have had others help me MANY times over) and consider it a way of life around here - just an FYI to let you know the offer is for real. All of my parts bikes are 83's (my 1st Venture was a 1984 but that one is longggg gone) and I am positive that one of them would make an awesome frame donor for your build. I am not sure on the later = MK2 1st Gen frames for a donor = never owned one but I do believe that they have a longer drive train assembly in them when compared to an 83,,, I have no clue whether or not that is indicitive of a change in frame design/change in subframe design or just swing arm/driveshaft assemble differences.. It might not be a bad idea to ask here in the Water Hole section (kind of a club hang out) and also over on the clubs Face Book page as I think some of the guru's that use to hang out here now hang out on our Face Book page. Any of that make sense?

Hook your trailer back up and head to Michigan!! :thumbsup:

YEEEOUCHY OUCH OUCH OUCH = that right there is ugly!! Definitely repairable (anything is) and I am sure you are finding that out by reading Randy's amazing repair story Maddy BUT,, thru all the smoke,, PLEASE remember this,,,,, my offer about a a parts bike with good frame stands and is yours = free of charge!! I have donated freebie parts a couple times to help club members at times of need (and have had others help me MANY times over) and consider it a way of life around here - just an FYI to let you know the offer is for real. All of my parts bikes are 83's (my 1st Venture was a 1984 but that one is longggg gone) and I am positive that one of them would make an awesome frame donor for your build. I am not sure on the later = MK2 1st Gen frames for a donor = never owned one but I do believe that they have a longer drive train assembly in them when compared to an 83,,, I have no clue whether or not that is indicitive of a change in frame design/change in subframe design or just swing arm/driveshaft assemble differences.. It might not be a bad idea to ask here in the Water Hole section (kind of a club hang out) and also over on the clubs Face Book page as I think some of the guru's that use to hang out here now hang out on our Face Book page. Any of that make sense?

Hook your trailer back up and head to Michigan!! :thumbsup:

Although this is a very nice gesture , it's just not feasible for me , considering time off from work. I think I might try fix this frame. It won't know for sure until I get the bike flipped over. Again, very generous of you .

Although this is a very nice gesture , it's just not feasible for me , considering time off from work. I think I might try fix this frame. It won't know for sure until I get the bike flipped over. Again, very generous of you .

Offer stands Maddy, if you change your mind and decide to go for it just give me a quick heads up. The bikes are covered, have occasional parts robbed off em and are going no where that I know of. Our zip here is 49445, if you ever want to do a quick mileage/time to travel guess that should get you a fair estimate.. Your welcome and all the very best on the build no matter what you go!!

I know I am not in OK. But I have a running 88 and parts bike to boot I'm selling. I would not be doing so if the DW would let me keep 2 bikes around but Its harder to justify than Gunsl I just got my RSV a couple months ago.

made 2 care, Tim, I suggest you need to take a step back and put your priorities in some kind of order. Right now your #1 is fixing the frame either by replacing it or repairing it. I did respond to your PM and hope it helps.

Randy

Agree ! will begin tear down.

Oh, Man ! This sucks. The locks need to be sprayed with a good break free type oil. They may still work. It took me two days to get mine up and running, but they came through. Mostly. Soak them and let them sit for a day. Don't bust the key !

Now you need to step back for a second. ( Ahem )

Busted frame. High-ish mileage. Trailer hitch ( extra wear and tear on the entire drive train. This includes the busted second gear, the U-joint and final drive hub at the wheel and rear wheel bearings. ). Damaged inner fairing equipment. Evidence of extensive electrical modifications. ( Some of the mods are good. The electronic ignition has been relocated up to the air box. That's a good thing and shows someone was paying attention ). I'm going to add a few things to the stack. You will probably be needing an extensive carb rebuild and new air filter, a valve adjustment with gaskets, and a fairing full of electrical and vent equipment. If you're going for stock, the CLASS system and assorted parts. Possible entertainment system upgrades, new speakers, intercom repair/replacement or a bluetooth system. You're going to do brakes, calipers, pads and brake lines. Master and slave cylinder rebuilds. Front fork bushings and seals and possibly progressive springs, steering neck bearings and front wheel bearings. Don't forget a full exhaust system gasket set. Tires. Battery. Water pump rebuild is a probability if it hasn't been done. Fuel filter, I got a spare I'll donate. I can't tell about the windscreen but the turn signal lenses seem to be missing. If I were doing that big a tear down, I would be putting grease fittings on the rear shock linkage elements.

Upside. You have good plastic. You have good paint with the good plastic. If you are doing a restoration, that is priceless. It can't be faked. It just about can't be bought except in the luckiest of circumstances and at a high cost. The final presentation of a restoration is the outward appearance. As dumb as that is, it's the final element. I mean, face it. It's probably the biggest reason you bought this bike when you KNEW it had issues. The plastic and paint cannot be downplayed in importance ! Never say " yes-but " about this. Mechanical stuff can be redone, but not the original plastic and paint. It's as hard as finding NOS exhaust pipes.

Cowpuc is wise. ( and kind, did I mention kind ? ) He knows where your project is and I agree with him. He's also gentile. I am not. You've shown us a bike with a broken frame, a shaky electrical system, a heavily worn drive train and a heaping helping of deferred maintenance. It has great plastic which is HUGE. Mine was busted up like a jigsaw puzzle in comparison. This bike is a heartbeat away from being a donor bike rather than a restoration project.( i.e. park a better bike under the plastic you have. ) You need a frame. Getting yours welded up without twisting or otherwise distorting it is a 50/50 shot. I'm fairly good with my TIG, and I'd do it for myself but I'd also be aware that the results could get sketchy fast. Remember, this frame is now bent. How do you plan to align the broken parts when you don't know where they were originally ? If it's twisted and you weld it twisted, it will load one side of the suspension links over the other and horrid mischief will ensue. 1 1/2 degree angular misalignment in this area is a big discrepancy. Work with Cowpuc. There must be a way to ship it without you going to MI. Also:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-YAMAHA-XVZ12-T-VENTURE-MAIN-FRAME-CHASSIS-BODY-XVZ-1200-83/254013759559?hash=item3b24666047:g:-QIAAOSwYshUZ~dj

But it's probably a salvage title which has it's own issues. Cowpuc's would be a clear title without the insurance restrictions. If you're going that deep into this '83... Take kind ol' Cowpuc's offer. You will NOT get a better option or a better "price". The other option, actually, is to get another Venture, with a good frame and combine the two. It's not a bad idea. For the cost of a motor and a set of carbs off e-bay, you can have a whole bike for spare parts. Perhaps one with a lower mileage drive train, ( no trailer hitch ) a good frame and less plastic. It would be cheaper if it looks bad. You don't care, you have the pretty stuff already.

I know you are an experienced builder and this ain't you first rodeo. I know, that you already know what I'm saying. I am only offering you a second opinion and putting the stuff I see, on the plate, to poke around. I've seen your 'Wing and your sweet 160 so I know you have the skill set. You are a talented mechanic with an eye for detail. But even if you disregard my perspective, let me give you this : Cowpuc has been into "83 ventures for over 30 years and was a professional ( for a living ) bike mechanic. He knows his stuff and really really knows the Yamaha Venture. He has owned 5 or so and has ridden over 1 million miles on them. He rebuilds the Venture like you and I sharpen pencils. If he says, " you need a frame " then, by god, you NEED a frame. Perhaps even an '84 frame that doesn't have this issue. I'm just an old guy in North Carolina yappin' at ya, but I want to see you succeed and have an awesome Venture. As a matter of fact, all of us here do . Restoring an old bike is like a game of chess. You really have to think about your next move carefully sometimes. One of my friends once turned his Triumph into a mail box at the end of his driveway. It was his choice and "best" move, at the time. Whatever your move is, the only person it has to please is you. And thanks for the pics ! They're great !

Oh, Man ! This sucks. The locks need to be sprayed with a good break free type oil. They may still work. It took me two days to get mine up and running, but they came through. Mostly. Soak them and let them sit for a day. Don't bust the key !

Now you need to step back for a second. ( Ahem )

Busted frame. High-ish mileage. Trailer hitch ( extra wear and tear on the entire drive train. This includes the busted second gear, the U-joint and final drive hub at the wheel and rear wheel bearings. ). Damaged inner fairing equipment. Evidence of extensive electrical modifications. ( Some of the mods are good. The electronic ignition has been relocated up to the air box. That's a good thing and shows someone was paying attention ). I'm going to add a few things to the stack. You will probably be needing an extensive carb rebuild and new air filter, a valve adjustment with gaskets, and a fairing full of electrical and vent equipment. If you're going for stock, the CLASS system and assorted parts. Possible entertainment system upgrades, new speakers, intercom repair/replacement or a bluetooth system. You're going to do brakes, calipers, pads and brake lines. Master and slave cylinder rebuilds. Front fork bushings and seals and possibly progressive springs, steering neck bearings and front wheel bearings. Don't forget a full exhaust system gasket set. Tires. Battery. Water pump rebuild is a probability if it hasn't been done. Fuel filter, I got a spare I'll donate. I can't tell about the windscreen but the turn signal lenses seem to be missing. If I were doing that big a tear down, I would be putting grease fittings on the rear shock linkage elements.

Upside. You have good plastic. You have good paint with the good plastic. If you are doing a restoration, that is priceless. It can't be faked. It just about can't be bought except in the luckiest of circumstances and at a high cost. The final presentation of a restoration is the outward appearance. As dumb as that is, it's the final element. I mean, face it. It's probably the biggest reason you bought this bike when you KNEW it had issues. The plastic and paint cannot be downplayed in importance ! Never say " yes-but " about this. Mechanical stuff can be redone, but not the original plastic and paint. It's as hard as finding NOS exhaust pipes.

Cowpuc is wise. ( and kind, did I mention kind ? ) He knows where your project is and I agree with him. He's also gentile. I am not. You've shown us a bike with a broken frame, a shaky electrical system, a heavily worn drive train and a heaping helping of deferred maintenance. It has great plastic which is HUGE. Mine was busted up like a jigsaw puzzle in comparison. This bike is a heartbeat away from being a donor bike rather than a restoration project.( i.e. park a better bike under the plastic you have. ) You need a frame. Getting yours welded up without twisting or otherwise distorting it is a 50/50 shot. I'm fairly good with my TIG, and I'd do it for myself but I'd also be aware that the results could get sketchy fast. Remember, this frame is now bent. How do you plan to align the broken parts when you don't know where they were originally ? If it's twisted and you weld it twisted, it will load one side of the suspension links over the other and horrid mischief will ensue. 1 1/2 degree angular misalignment in this area is a big discrepancy. Work with Cowpuc. There must be a way to ship it without you going to MI. Also:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-YAMAHA-XVZ12-T-VENTURE-MAIN-FRAME-CHASSIS-BODY-XVZ-1200-83/254013759559?hash=item3b24666047:g:-QIAAOSwYshUZ~dj

But it's probably a salvage title which has it's own issues. Cowpuc's would be a clear title without the insurance restrictions. If you're going that deep into this '83... Take kind ol' Cowpuc's offer. You will NOT get a better option or a better "price". The other option, actually, is to get another Venture, with a good frame and combine the two. It's not a bad idea. For the cost of a motor and a set of carbs off e-bay, you can have a whole bike for spare parts. Perhaps one with a lower mileage drive train, ( no trailer hitch ) a good frame and less plastic. It would be cheaper if it looks bad. You don't care, you have the pretty stuff already.

I know you are an experienced builder and this ain't you first rodeo. I know, that you already know what I'm saying. I am only offering you a second opinion and putting the stuff I see, on the plate, to poke around. I've seen your 'Wing and your sweet 160 so I know you have the skill set. You are a talented mechanic with an eye for detail. But even if you disregard my perspective, let me give you this : Cowpuc has been into "83 ventures for over 30 years and was a professional ( for a living ) bike mechanic. He knows his stuff and really really knows the Yamaha Venture. He has owned 5 or so and has ridden over 1 million miles on them. He rebuilds the Venture like you and I sharpen pencils. If he says, " you need a frame " then, by god, you NEED a frame. Perhaps even an '84 frame that doesn't have this issue. I'm just an old guy in North Carolina yappin' at ya, but I want to see you succeed and have an awesome Venture. As a matter of fact, all of us here do . Restoring an old bike is like a game of chess. You really have to think about your next move carefully sometimes. One of my friends once turned his Triumph into a mail box at the end of his driveway. It was his choice and "best" move, at the time. Whatever your move is, the only person it has to please is you. And thanks for the pics ! They're great !

I really appreciate this information. One way or another, I am going to have a beautiful bike. I just have to get past this frame issue. The ad I just found could work , if I knew for sure that it really has 24,000 miles and if the frame is true.

Since you obviously have experience in restorations, this may be a needless warning.

Make very sure of your state's laws regarding titling "frankenbikes" In OH, it would literally be impossible to get a title for the end product of that untitled "parts bike" and your plastics put together. It would even be difficult, though not impossible to get the product of one of cowpucs titled frames and a non matching ser. no. engine titled.

Parts alone at $300???? Damn i wish i could get it... that's a steal! Hell check out the wheels and see if they're true @. 005".

I couldn't find anyone that could sell me a front wheel that wasn't SCREWED. I got one from ebay dang thing was worse than mine (it was over. 060" out...) so one good wheel alone is an easy $100!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Perhaps this one !

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/d/westmont-1983-yamaha-venture-royale/6843150013.html

Save yourself 900 hours of aggravation and you will have about the same $ in this Craigslist one, that you'll have in the one you have now... If you're trying to save money, the path you're on will not work out well. It's worth the long weekend just to ride up and get it. Just sayin'. I can think of $850 to $950 worth of parts you'll have to buy, right off the top of my head, ( and you'll buy more than I can think of ) even if you get this parts bike. Then your initial investment is already at $800. This Craigs bike is $500 more than the parts bike, your current bike, and the parts I can think of that you will buy anyway and now you have your original bike to cover most parts you'll need for years. Here's my numbers: Your bike $500. Parts bike $300, The parts you will have to buy $900 equals $1700. You will spend more than that probably. (I'm guessing about $250/450 but I'll leave it out of this number game.) Chicago bike $2200. Difference is $500. Hours not spent in your shop. Probably 200 to 400. Your $500 parts bike will be a goldmine of spare parts for a long time. You can recover some of your original $500, selling parts off it you figure you won't need. And !!! you would have about the best looking '83 I've seen in many years. And, you'll ride it THIS year, not next... The ONLY reason to do this restoration, is if you like the complexity, you want the challenge, and money be damned. That's EXACTLY why I got mine. I like wrenching as much as riding. Maybe a tiny bit more. Your move...

Nice project you have there, bummer on the broken frame, but certainly not a show stopper. There's a lot of good advice written already, and nothing I could add that hasn't already been said. For me it's about the wrenching, about taking something someone else would scrap or part out and making it like new, actually maybe a little better than new if possible. Riding is just icing on the cake, the real thrill is knowing you built it yourself with your own hands and sweat. The money well that's just the price of having fun. Either way, it's your decision on how to proceed, either keep grinding away on this one or start looking for a better one that needs less love and attention. If you decide to keep it this might be an option for a frame. Not saying go out and buy it but something to consider since you are limited on time for traveling. Hope this helps.......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/83-84-85-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ-1200-Main-Frame-Royale-Paperwork-Michigan/223041735760?epid=2282458749&hash=item33ee52cc50:g:hu0AAOSwjdpbOhFy

the only thing I see wrong with the one in KS is that there is no title. I don't know about your state, but for me in Cali, if I get a bike in-state without a title and it is less than $4000 then no biggie, bill of sale is fine and maybe a statement of fact. But if I get a "parts bike" from out of state it better have a title because there is no way to title it otherwise. And you need papers for the frame and or the motor. So, I would say check with the DMV where you are and go from there. On the other hand Puc has a frame he is willing to give you. maybe it would be worth the $300 or so and see what it would take to ship it? I dunno, just a thought...

Nice project you have there, bummer on the broken frame, but certainly not a show stopper. There's a lot of good advice written already, and nothing I could add that hasn't already been said. For me it's about the wrenching, about taking something someone else would scrap or part out and making it like new, actually maybe a little better than new if possible. Riding is just icing on the cake, the real thrill is knowing you built it yourself with your own hands and sweat. The money well that's just the price of having fun. Either way, it's your decision on how to proceed, either keep grinding away on this one or start looking for a better one that needs less love and attention. If you decide to keep it this might be an option for a frame. Not saying go out and buy it but something to consider since you are limited on time for traveling. Hope this helps.......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/83-84-85-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ-1200-Main-Frame-Royale-Paperwork-Michigan/223041735760?epid=2282458749&hash=item33ee52cc50:g:hu0AAOSwjdpbOhFy

This actually might work and a reasonable price too.

I went ahead and bought this.

Edited by made2care

the only thing I see wrong with the one in KS is that there is no title. I don't know about your state, but for me in Cali, if I get a bike in-state without a title and it is less than $4000 then no biggie, bill of sale is fine and maybe a statement of fact. But if I get a "parts bike" from out of state it better have a title because there is no way to title it otherwise. And you need papers for the frame and or the motor. So, I would say check with the DMV where you are and go from there. On the other hand Puc has a frame he is willing to give you. maybe it would be worth the $300 or so and see what it would take to ship it? I dunno, just a thought...

I believe Pucs is still a rolling chasis, so I would have to drive up there and I can't.

I don't think that is the part that is broke??????

This is the part that usually breaks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/83-85-YAMAHA-VENTURE-ROYALE-XVZ1200-XVZ-1200-FRAME-CHASSIS-CLN-EZ-REG/153221235757?hash=item23acb2842d:g:KoUAAOSwxG9bxihP

This one is from an 83 so it can still have the frame issue. When the frame breaks it is because it rusts out from the inside. A perfectly good looking frame can snap. If you do get another 83 frame just plan on welding in some reinforcements before you bolt anything to it.

Edited by Flyinfool

The link was to an 83 frame, straight, no issues with paperwork. And a great price $39.98 plus shipping.

What you see below is a recommendation from Ebay, and yes that would be the wrong part. You have to look at the item that has ended.

You DID AWESOME ON THAT Maddy!! Absolutely PERFECT if it's as stated!! OUTSTANDING $$ TOO IMHO!! Hats off to @Johnnycyclone for spotting and forwarding that deal = THANKS JOHNNYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!! $39 bucks for a stripped and ready to ship TITLED FRAME :scared: = totally AWESOME find Johnny = thanks again for jumpin in to help out a friend!! Stuff like THAT is what makes belonging to our awesome club so much fun!!:thumbsup:

Began teardown today. Also just bought a frame so hopefully it will work. Thanx again for everyone's help and suggestions. Also a big shoutout to puc on his offer but I just couldn't make the drive.

You are more than welcome Maddy, all the very best on your build brother!

This is the part that usually breaks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/83-85-YAMAHA-VENTURE-ROYALE-XVZ1200-XVZ-1200-FRAME-CHASSIS-CLN-EZ-REG/153221235757?hash=item23acb2842d:g:KoUAAOSwxG9bxihP

This one is from an 83 so it can still have the frame issue. When the frame breaks it is because it rusts out from the inside. A perfectly good looking frame can snap. If you do get another 83 frame just plan on welding in some reinforcements before you bolt anything to it.

I saw that too Jeff but noticed the "SOLD" on the small, recent icon picture of an actual frame and was :fingers-crossed-emo and had a gut feeling that it was Maddy who bought it!! HE DID!! How cool!!

The link was to an 83 frame, straight, no issues with paperwork. And a great price $39.98 plus shipping.

What you see below is a recommendation from Ebay, and yes that would be the wrong part. You have to look at the item that has ended.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that: