IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

Thanks very much for your compliments. Can't wait for march 20th. Will be asking you many questions on this "venture "

You betcha, you are welcome and THANK YOU for sharing the pics with us!!!:thumbsup:

Right with ya, can't wait for the 20th for you!! Will be patiently waiting for the ?'s to roll in - someone around this joint will have answers for ya Maddy,,, TONS of very astute gearheads around the club,,, and a few of us back yard types too:missingtooth:

Looking forward to your build!!!:thumbsup:

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH MY that 180 is SWEET. Anyway, for your VR, ebay is your friend. But be patient. "83/84/85 stuff is everywhere as long as your plastic parts are good. Not much in the way of excellent condition original big plastic sections, like a fairing half. You may have to wait a bit but the part you're looking for will show up. Just not on demand. Also, your best bet is doing your homework on this forum, rather than asking questions that have been asked before. This is a mature forum and the issues you will have, are not unique. If you search a bit, the answers are here.

OH MY that 180 is SWEET. Anyway, for your VR, ebay is your friend. But be patient. "83/84/85 stuff is everywhere as long as your plastic parts are good. Not much in the way of excellent condition original big plastic sections, like a fairing half. You may have to wait a bit but the part you're looking for will show up. Just not on demand. Also, your best bet is doing your homework on this forum, rather than asking questions that have been asked before. This is a mature forum and the issues you will have, are not unique. If you search a bit, the answers are here.

Will do. Thanks for all the tips. This is more than exciting because I know nothing about this make bike. I will start researching to become familiar and also familiarize myself with this forum. I still need to pay my 12 bucks too.

Where is the engine # located. Will there be a letter in the #'s. ie : 1N2245 . So the 2245 is what i'm going on? I must find one higher than 1413.

Thanx

The bike i have purchased and have not picked up yet has a failed 2nd gear, so i"m assuming the engine # will be lower than 1413.

Where is the engine # located. Will there be a letter in the #'s. ie : 1N2245 . So the 2245 is what i'm going on? I must find one higher than 1413.

Thanx

The bike i have purchased and have not picked up yet has a failed 2nd gear, so i"m assuming the engine # will be lower than 1413.

Yep,, it's just the last 4 digits of your VIN, as shown on your title, the neck of your scoot or the little white/black lettered sticker on the frame rail on the right hand side of the bike (right side when sitting on the bike/down by the rear brake pedal) just above the exhaust system. Easiest way to find it is just look at the Title. Keep in mind though Maddy that the "1413" reference when speaking of making sure you stay away from future 2nd gear failures on these V-4's ONLY applies to the 1985 Venture. If the bike is pre-85, it makes no difference what the VIN shows in those last 4 digits = 2nd gear will eventually fail. Make sense?

Another thought, I purchased an 86 Venture once during an ice storm,, poor thing was in a storage unit and had been for many years. Felt sorry for it, bike was dirt cheap,, had to have it.. Seller helped me load it, handed me the Title, went thru all the hassle of loading and hauling, got er fired up to see what I had before starting the build = ran GREAT for a bike with +15 years of storage under her belt. Thought best to double check the VIN with the SOS BEFORE continuing, side sticker VIN was missing, bent down on the right side of the bike to see VIN on neck = AHHH OHHH = WRONG VIN!! Title didnt match scoot!! Seller would not answer phone or email = ROTTEN LOW LIFE!! Did a stolen vehicle check with the Cops = clean.. Ended up selling as a parts bike.. Moral of the story = ALWAYS check the Title VIN against FRAME VIN (on the neck) before paying for scoot (I knew this going in, had been there before, just failed to live by my own rule one time to many).

Thanx

Rereading your question here Maddy I think I might have went down the wrong trail on that last answer, sorry bout that.. The engine number is stamped on top of the forward bevel gear housing at the rear of the engine. Yes, the last 4 digits of that number is what your concern is when looking for the 1414 and above. Not sure how to tell off the engine # exactly what year of bike the engine came out of if you are junk yardin just an engine with no access to title or title VIN.. Normally its the "10th" digit in a VIN that shows year of bike and not sure if that applies to engine numbers on these scoots. I do know that you can't go by the last 4 digit rule though if you dont know the year cause there were over 1400 of the 83's made so somewhere out there are a bunch of 83's with higher than 1414 stamped on the block as the last 4 digits.

Rereading your question here Maddy I think I might have went down the wrong trail on that last answer, sorry bout that.. The engine number is stamped on top of the forward bevel gear housing at the rear of the engine. Yes, the last 4 digits of that number is what your concern is when looking for the 1414 and above. Not sure how to tell off the engine # exactly what year of bike the engine came out of if you are junk yardin just an engine with no access to title or title VIN.. Normally its the "10th" digit in a VIN that shows year of bike and not sure if that applies to engine numbers on these scoots. I do know that you can't go by the last 4 digit rule though if you dont know the year cause there were over 1400 of the 83's made so somewhere out there are a bunch of 83's with higher than 1414 stamped on the block as the last 4 digits.

Thanks for the info. I really think I need to take a deep breath and calm down. Will check numbers when I see bike. I will do the usual when I get her home: fresh fluids, new battery, clean tank and so on, then fire her up and go from there. If I find an 85 engine with correct number, I will snatch it up.

i know a good bath will do her some good!

Edited by made2care

Okay, just got off the phone with the seller. Have more info on bike. The owner before him traveled all over the country on this bike, when he hit around 80,000 miles the 2nd gear went out at which time he parked it. The current owner acquired it and just placed it in a storage shed, did nothing to it. He did inform me that he removed the driving lights the day before i called him, other than that, the entire bike is there.

Sooooo, high mileage bike I guess. I'm still going to get it and maybe i can get a low mileage engine with no 2nd gear issue. So that's the latest.

Thoughts??

Edited by made2care

Ehh, with a Venture 80,000 miles is considered just about broken in!

These engines are pretty much bulletproof and it is nothing to get well in excess of 200,000 miles! I sort of remember someone having one that lasted to almost 350,000 miles!! There is some maintenance that needs to be done. With that mileage, you will want to do a valve adjustment, normally done around 40,000 miles. The real issue is as the shims wear they make the clearance tighter, not looser, so valve adjustment is very important! There are a couple of other minor issues you may want to look at, especially with an '83. Chances are your engine has already been fitted with one, but there is a mod to increase the oil sling onto the stator so they don't burn out as fast. Most Ventures had that mod done by the end of '84. There was also an issue with a bulging "O" ring but you have to split the case to fix that and like the oiler kit most Ventures were fixed for that. You want to replace the plastic impeller on your water pump with a metal one, something the factory changed at a later date, most likely with the MK2 updated version. There are a few other minor things to look at, such as the YCIS plastic chamber cracks at the seam and causes a vacuum leak, etc...

Ehh, with a Venture 80,000 miles is considered just about broken in!

These engines are pretty much bulletproof and it is nothing to get well in excess of 200,000 miles! I sort of remember someone having one that lasted to almost 350,000 miles!! There is some maintenance that needs to be done. With that mileage, you will want to do a valve adjustment, normally done around 40,000 miles. The real issue is as the shims wear they make the clearance tighter, not looser, so valve adjustment is very important! There are a couple of other minor issues you may want to look at, especially with an '83. Chances are your engine has already been fitted with one, but there is a mod to increase the oil sling onto the stator so they don't burn out as fast. Most Ventures had that mod done by the end of '84. There was also an issue with a bulging "O" ring but you have to split the case to fix that and like the oiler kit most Ventures were fixed for that. You want to replace the plastic impeller on your water pump with a metal one, something the factory changed at a later date, most likely with the MK2 updated version. There are a few other minor things to look at, such as the YCIS plastic chamber cracks at the seam and causes a vacuum leak, etc...

Okay, good to know all this. Thanx . Some members have given similar advice.

Cool, we are rooting for you.

See, as I warned you way back at the beginning of this thread, cowpuc would be around shortly.........:stirthepot::whistling::duck:

You weren't kidding. Seems very knowledgeable and a downright nice guy! Everyone here is very enlightening, I'm looking forward to this journey with everyone!

Hello everyone. New here and I have a unique opportunity. I can acquire a 1983 but the 2nd gear is out. also the owner says there is some damage to frame from battery leakage which I'm not concerned about. I have always wanted one of these bikes. It looks like its been stored inside and all parts are there. I can do a straight across trade as i have an old goldwing he wants.

what would you do. I dont want to fix the 2nd gear and can this bike ride okay without it.

thanx for your help

I would fix 2nd gear

where can I find oem float valves? My carb guy says that he cannot rebuild carbs if he doesn't have those.

Looks like this is what your looking for:

https://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/22u-14190-15-00/-needle-valve-assembly

You may be able to search other vendors and find it cheaper.. Wanna hear something nuts? I googled the part number and came up with at W ALLY WORLD of all places:scared:!!:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yamaha-22U-14190-15-00-Needle-Valve-Virago-535-Xvz12/714508614?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=17858&adid=22222222227272998262&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=327868822053&wl4=pla-618222792360&wl5=9017502&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125197119&wl11=online&wl12=714508614&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsZ3kBRCnARIsAIuAV_RyRy7RUsRr9VMFqCCdHjrfukVk1RJkoR3ZqU49lLQWQFOA8WBRfQsaAke5EALw_wcB

Sometimes I think the whole world has gone crrraazzzzzzzy!!:missingtooth:

Cool, we are rooting for you.

See, as I warned you way back at the beginning of this thread, cowpuc would be around shortly.........:stirthepot::whistling::duck:

:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

But only cause someone yanked my chain using that little "@" symbol thing!!:backinmyday:

Thanks, he is going to rebuild them now.

Thanks, he is going to rebuild them now.

You are more than welcome Maddy, glad to help! And thank you for the info on the Evap Rust:happy34:!! My Ebay order of it arrived today and setting here waiting for me to give it a shot! :banana: