IGNORED

LED tail light

hig4s

I'm thinking about replacing my tail light bulb with a red LED to make it brighter. Has anyone done this,, does it work with the stock red lens or do I need to change to a clear lens..

Eventually I also want to change the turn signals to a cluster with running lights, brake lights and turn signals but not willing to spend quite that much at this time.

I really don't think you'll be happy with just an LED replacement bulb. LED's are too directional to do a very good job unless you get something like this:

http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm

Look at the first item on the page. I've seen those in use and they are BRIGHT. More expensive than a bulb, but sometimes the old saying is true....you only get what you pay for. I will have one of these on my bike before long.

Guest Bud

When I bought my 01 rsv someone had converted the factory tail light bulb with a LED which made it very dim and only showed one red spot in the middle and no light what so ever on the license plate. Also the previous owner had done the job with silicone and it was a mess. Needless to say I have it back to factory lighting.

Bud

If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

:lightbulb:

Ive got the Clear lens and led light panel on mine VERY bright,Very pleased..I think I have a pic of the setup on my gallery pics. GaryN has seen mine and commented on how bright it is. Tom

This isn't a replacement light but an add-on. I mounted these where the helmet holders (were) on my 1st gen. They are "impressive".

See Item B, page 29 of the Trailer and Towing section of Princess Auto's on-line cataloge (downloadable in pdf format)

I have the Custom Dynamics LED brake light mentioned earlier. It is very bright in direct sun and a breeze to install. It definitely helps from a safety aspect as the RSV has so little lighting in the rear.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers,

John

The set up I was planning on for the turnsignals was the Custom Dynamics, dynamic clusters, but I hadn't thought about that for just the tail light,, I guess after reading this I need to go with their conversion or the 1.85 1157 cluster for the tail light too.

Thanks..

• 8 years later...