IGNORED

Power does not turn off when I turn the key off

Has any one had an ignition switch fail so that power to the bike remains on even when the key is off? This is happening on my bike. I got off of work this morning and my battery was low and wouldn’t start the bike, I got a jump, and when I got home the power would not shut off. I have the battery disconnected now.

edit: I have the bypass relay installed, could the relay have failed closed?

Edited by RoTorKev

I suppose its possible. I think I have had maybe 2 or 3 relays go bad in the years I have made the harness. Its just a standard 5 pin Bosh type. I guess on the extremes outside, the switch could be compromised. But if the key turns not likely, usually what happens is the contacts arch and then dont make good contact to start/run the bike.

If the starter is spinning the starter relay is stuck or somehow getting power to close the relay. I’m my experience that relay has stuck open, but if the contacts arced and welded closed it could cause that. 

Thanks for the replies, I installed a new starter solenoid, did not fix the problem, looked at the start button and it looks ok, connected the battery with the start button disconnected and still gettin power on with the ignition in the off position. Any advice on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.