IGNORED

1986 VR Fairing

I am looking for a 1986 1300 VR front fairing, the bike was dropped on the left side and it broke a lot of the plastic and signal light. I tried to post this item into the parts required but for some reason it would not accept the post section.  Not sure if there is something wrong with that portion of the forum.

The bike is new to me and I have to get into the wiring since it looks like the guy before me had done a bit of a chop job on the electrical.  Have a constant warning light showing up so will get into that when I trace out all the wiring.

Unfortunately what you see is what I have, so no extra pieces to weld back together.  Trying to track down a replacement fairing.

Does anyone have a photo of the wiring around the battery box so I know what a real job should look like.  It looks like the guy has added a fuse block and then attempted to wire from that. 

Any opinions as to what I should be looking out for in the wiring? 

thanks

Chris

Hi Chris and welcome to the group.

Go to Ebay and look there and see if you can find what you are looking for in the fairing as they show up there a lot and you might be able to find the same color as you have now.   As for the wiring, that looks like a mess but I dont see the battery and wonder how much of that was connect to it.  I for one would replace all the glass fuses by replacing the fuse block. SkyDoc_17 is a member here and sell a fuse block upgrade that uses the mini fuses. It is well worth the time and money to do as it gives you a more positive connection with the fuses.

Above is a link to the forum where he talks about it and shows you the parts.

Next if you havent yet, go and download the service manual for the bike.  http://www.venturerider.org/manuals/1986-1993 Yamaha Venture Service Manual.pdf   

This will help you in all aspects of working on the Venture and includes wiring schematic and troubleshooting procedures also.

And dont be afraid to ask questions here and look thru the Venture Tech Library 83-93 for more information as there is a lot of knowledge in there from the past.

Good Luck...

Rick F.

Edited by cimmer
  • Thanks 1

Hey Chris,

WELCOME to the Forum! (and Thank You Rick, for the kind words about my Fuse Box Upgrade Kit!) Now Chris, I know this all looks like a nightmare at the moment, BUT I can assure you that many of the members of this forum started out with their First Gens, looking very much like yours, if not worse! LOL!! Rick posted an excellent suggestion, download the Manual for the First Gen. MKII motorcycle. What I would suggest would be to work on the mechanical/electrical items FIRST while searching Ebay and Facebook Market Place for a "Color Correct" Fairing Half. That's Right, the fairing on your bike is in two pieces, a left side and a right side. If the right side is undamaged, then you only need the left side fairing half. I personally have ALL of the pieces you need, (turn signal, dash cover, LS mirror, and the LS Fairing Half) BUT the LS fairing half is NOT color correct, it is from an 87'VR. (It is Light Blue) All of the other pieces I have would be color correct. I do not have a problem sending you any of these parts Chris, but the shipping might be the deal breaker here. If you get this bike running, while you are shopping for that fairing half, the progress you make will inspire you to spend the money for the color correct fairing half to "Finish Off" this project, in my opinion. If you spend a "boat load of money" on the fairing, and can't get this bike running, this project will SOUR very quickly, I assure you. If you happen to know someone in the lower 48 US states that I can ship to Chris, that would save you a bunch of cash on this project. 

I have attached pics of what a "Usual" Fuse Box looks like, what one would look like after you install the Fuse Box Upgrade Kit, and a diagram of the electrical connections to the fuse box.

If I can help you with parts Chris, let me know. If you are interested in the Fuse Box Upgrade Kit, let me know. If you need help collecting parts from US sellers that would need to be shipped to Canada, let me know. We are here to help YOU Chris, don't be afraid to ask for help. Also don't be afraid to shop around for just the right part. No matter where it is located, we will do all that we can to get your bike up and running again! That's what we do here, that's what any family member would do for another family member Chris! I hope all of this info inspires you to bring this wonderful machine back to life!

WELCOME to the VentureRider.ORG family Chris, you're HOME, brother!

Earl 

OLD FUSE BOX.jpg

NEW FUSE BOX COMPLETE.jpg

BEFORE.jpg

FUSE BOX SCHMATIC FINAL 03052018.jpg

• Like 1

Skydoc I have a constant warning but there is nothing showing up as to what the warning is.  The wiring is a mess and I am not going to worry to much about the warning until I get right into the wiring and make sure that everything is actually connected.

I have a feeling that the previous owner did quite the butcher job on the wiring under the center cover.  He has a toggle switch running the headlight so that's an indication that I don't think he knew what he was actually doing.

I like your idea of the fuse block and think I would like to incorporate that into the wiring system, looks like it might be a tad easier to maintain after the fact, if you could can you give me some more info and pricing on that please.

I have a mailing address in Washington state to receive product so that should help with getting parts and pieces,  I am not going to be in a hurry as I would like to get it running and looking good before I insure and drive it.  I am expecting that this year and winter will be a total project for this bike.  I seem to get somewhat carried away when I do restoration work...lol...  But there is nothing wrong with a great reconditioned bike, always good for a show.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to find another wiring harness and install that, might be a lot easier than trying to track down all the wires he messed up?  Your opinion is welcome thanks.  I can use all the help I can get.  This is the first Yamaha that I have got to work on.  All my other bikes have been Honda, everything from a Z50A up to a 1800 GL.  I really like to restore older bikes for a fun project.  I am 75 and like to tinker in my shop, so patience is one of my mini virtues lol. 

Could you send me some pictures  of what you have for fairing materials.  

My email address is     chrisraven4321@gmail.com       and my phone number is  604-302-0416    

Question:  has anyone put floorboards on the front of these bikes, passenger has them but I don't see any for the driver.  Is it a problem to put them on?

There were footboards available for the Ventures but you will have to find them on the used market as they long sense been discontinued by Yamaha and the after market crowd. They occasionally show up on Ebay or some of the sights that sell used bike parts. The issued would be to make sure you have all the parts needed to install them properly on the bike.

Your warning alarm could be that the battery is missing the cell sensor from the battery. The computer uses the small current the sensor detects to determine battery condition and if battery is lights up the battery indicator on the dash panel and lights the red alarm light.

Getting a different wiring harness might be the better way to go about repairing the old harness as if it is so chopped up that the PO had a toggle switched to turn on the headlight that would worry be a lot about what else he chopped up.

Good luck with this project.

Rick F.

• Like 1

Thanks Cimmer:  I was wondering if a replacement wiring harness might be a good idea, as I agree I have no idea what else he chopped up to get it to work.  As far as the battery sensor is it related to the battery? Do I have to buy a Yami battery or can I use an aftermarket one.

Thanks

most of us just use a resistor to  connect  the sensor lead to a power source and that tricks the computer to not post an alarm and also lets you use a seal battery. I prefer an AGM battery myself as I had one that lasted 9 years..

Check out this link..  

Hope this helps you..

Rick F.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cimmer:  I was wondering if a replacement wiring harness might be a good idea, as I agree I have no idea what else he chopped up to get it to work.  As far as the battery sensor is it related to the battery? Do I have to buy a Yami battery or can I use an aftermarket one.

Thanks

I got into the wiring and I think I have everything finally fixed up.  Now the warning lights are showing Low brake fluid, and a headlight indicator.    I have to yet check the fluid levels but I did look into the headlight and it is working high/low with the switch on the handlebars, but the warning is still there.  He had put in a toggle switch to turn the headlight on and off, and when the headlight is turned off with the toggle switch it is still on but not very bright.  He has used a 3 contact switch with a ground, plus voltage and connection, so not really to sure how he has configured the wiring.  I took 2 pictures of it and posted  it. If that might give some indication on what he did.   The plus and light are both connected with a white wire and the ground is connected with a black wire.

Warning Light.jpg

Switch 1.jpg

Switch 2.jpg

The headlight runs thru a reserve lighting unit that works in case a low beam or high beams burns out, it automatically switches to the other part of the bulb so you have a light. That would be when the reserve unit would turn on the dash warning.  Sound like he bypassed the reserve unit with the toggle switch. How he wired this is worry.  Does the high/low beam switch on the handlebar still function properly? There is a wiring troubleshooting section in the service manual and I would strongly suggest you download it from the tech library if you havent yet.

The wiring diagram does show the colors of the wires also so that will help you with connecting the wires to the correct connectors.

Good luck.

Rick F

Yes I have the manual.  The High/Low switch does still work, and I finally have the headlight working correctly with the warning sign off.  The other warning light was the brake fluid level.  It was up but was not working.  I was trying to take the cover off the handle bar reservoir, but it didn't want to release, so I used my impact on it and then the light went out, so I am thinking a bad connection or float reading.

What I have now is the red warning light is on but I don't have any faults showing up on the monitor.  Is that normal or am I missiong something?

Thanks

Chris  

Interesting, checked it again today and now there is no red warning light, and no indicators that there is something wrong.  Now when I start it the Tach doesn't work.  Is it electronic?   Did I hook up a wire that I should not have??

Any input, so far all your ideas have been good.

Thanks

Chris

The tach is driven by the Gray wire connected from the TCI unit to what appears to be spark plug #2 coil. The tach is also power by a brown wire that supplies power to the tach and is fuse protected so you would want to check the fuse also to make sure it is ok.  The Brown wire also supplies power to the brake switches.

I hope this helps..

Rick F

13 hours ago, chrisraven4321 said:

Thanks Cimmer:  I will check that out.  I am just working on a 1981 Honda 900F, doing a complete restore.  It is now reassembly time so I am working on that and then I will put my full attention to the Venture.

Appreciate the input

Chris

You should share some pictures of your Honda project with us.  I have a '81 CB750C that I'm trying to get to run.  Many of us like all bikes.

It was a mess and covered in corrosion and rust, I had to strip it down completely to nothing and work all the rusted parts back to life.  Somebody had used a heavy sealer on the engine casing as you can see on the picture but there is a good picture of why it is a good idea to have an oil filter screen in the bottom of the engine.

I just received the decal pack finally so after I polish the clear on the black I will get the decals on and then put another 3 coats of clear on and then wet sand and polish paint.  Should look quite good when it is finished.

Am hoping that by the end of June I should have it fired up for the first time in 30 plus years.....  Everything inside is new so it will be like breaking in a new bike all over again.

I Cerakoted the cylinders and the head which should give me 1800 degrees of protection on the finish.

Thanks

Chris