IGNORED

Tires.. Whats still available for our bikes?

HI all, I am in need of a new front tire as my current Avon Cobra tire is just too old to keep riding on. It has held up well but must be 10 years old or older and I was wondering what everyone is now using for front tires. I have notice the section is getting smaller and smaller it seem. I have replaced my rear Avon Cobra due to the tread splitting with a Dunlap Elite 4 I believe but that was a number of years ago also and no longer available it appears. I do keep the bike parked inside when not being road so I hope that helps a bit with keeping in usable shape but I do keep them filed with the proper amount of air pressure and that is checked before each ride.

So let me know what you are running and how you like them.

Thanks

Rick F.

Edited by cimmer

• 3 weeks later...

What I am finding in my research is there isnt a lot of choices available for the front tire.  Less and less manufactures are making the 120/90-18s as a front tire.

I plan on going to my local motorcycle shop and seeing what they can get me next week when I am have some time.

Rick F.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting a Dunlop Elite 4 120/90-18 for my new front tire. I have a Dunlop E3 for the rear so they should go well together. I removed an Avon Cobra M41 with a build date of 2309 on it. Tire looked good but I sure was about to trust it any longer with all the riding I am going to get in now that I am retired and have the time to ride.

Rick F.

On 5/27/2023 at 7:45 PM, cimmer said:

I ended up getting a Dunlop Elite 4 120/90-18 for my new front tire. I have a Dunlop E3 for the rear so they should go well together. I removed an Avon Cobra M41 with a build date of 2309 on it. Tire looked good but I sure was about to trust it any longer with all the riding I am going to get in now that I am retired and have the time to ride.

Rick F.

Love to this!  I’m changing my tires on my sport bike for the first time in probably 15 years…they look good and feel good both riding and by touching them but something in me this year said to swap them out.  I didn’t ride for many years so she just sat stagnant.  When I picked up riding again two years ago I was like these seem brand new.  They gripped and held but it’s time.  

Mine was 13 years old and had lots of tread left on it but I just wasnt feeling comfortable with it being that old. The bike is stored inside when not being rode so there was no weather checking or splits in the tread or sidewalls. But I plan on a lot more riding and just wanted to be sure. One thing I do add to the tire is a product called Ride-0n.  https://www.ride-on.com/   

It helps to balance the tire and of course protect from nails and such. I do a lot of solo riding out in the middle of no where and just like the peace of mind it brings me.

Rick F.