IGNORED

New here Hello all!!!

Hello everybody!!! After troubleshooting and riding my '84 Yamaha Venture for almost a year and a half,I finally joined the Venture.org Family!!! I have always been a KZ  and Sportbike Guy,but after finding this Yamaha from a Guy I work with,(He sold it to me for 700 dollars,he was going to part it out),The Yamaha Venture always looked like an epic machine to me,so I grabbed it...It only has 37,000 miles on it,a Harley Guy used to own it and kept it going while it sat most of the time...The usual suspects have come up over that amount of riding time, such as--

needs the fusebox upgrade

Starter clutch

Also saw in a forum thread about a cable gauge upgrade for the battery?  Oh and by the way,if and when I do the starter clutch job,do you have to lube the starter clutch on assembly? With what and where? I hope this thread is in the right place and any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I will probably be the forever owner of this two-wheeled Cadillac of motorcycles!!!!

IMG_20221010_140441.jpg

IMG_20221010_140658.jpg

IMG_20221010_140759.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Jerald,

Welcome to the VentureRider.ORG Forum! Your bike appears to be an excellent example of an MKI Venture Royale. And at $700. I for one don't think you went wrong picking this bike up! Because of the limited amount of "Run Time" the Starter Clutch is exposed to, lubing that assembly is not a "must do" item. The weak link of that assembly is the 3 Sprag starter clutch. There is an upgrade where the upgraded assembly has 6 sprags, and this solves that issue nicely. Another upgrade is to install a 4 brush Starter Motor from a VMAX to solve the "Hot Start" lag issue. Check the "Member Vendor" section of this Forum to find solutions to all of the projects you have in mind. Here's a link:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/forum/103-member-vendors/

I noticed in your profile you mentioned that you are a mechanic, this will serve you well when bringing this wonderful machine back to riding condition. Keep the questions coming, Posting in the "Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk (1983 to 1993) Forum might get you better results because the First Gen. Owners browse this part of the Forum more than the Second Gen. owners. Here's a Link:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/forum/10-venture-and-venture-royale-tech-talk-83-93/

Don't forget to give yourself "The Gift That Keeps on Giving", and become a Subscribed Member! It will be the best $12. you have ever spent on your bike! I see that you don't have an issue posting pics of your scoot, I for one LOVE to see pics, as do many other Forum Members. It also helps when looking for parts or describing an issue on your bike as it takes all of the "Guess Work" out of trying to figure out what exactly you are working on. In your profile, it was a great idea to list the year of your bike, if you added that it is the "Royale" model, that would be helpful as well because in 1984 there was a ""Standard" model offered which is somewhat different. Just a thought.

I will say it again Jerald, WELCOME to the Forum! With your mechanical background, I'm sure you will be a valuable asset to the other First Gen. owners in no time at all!

Here's hoping that I see you out on the road sometime in the future,

Earl (skydoc_17)

Wow,Thank you guys for all the wonderful compliments and also Thank you Skydoc for the posted links!!! Can't wait to spend some more time reading threads and topics and what not and seeing what everybody has done to theirs or what was done to keep them on the road!!!! The main big ones for me right now is the fusebox upgrade,starter clutch and some other small stuff,this thing had some serious power before the start-up sounded like a drum cadence...It's always cool to take this to bike nights where it's primarily Harleys and Harley Riders still turn to look at it pull in...Again,thanks so much for the compliments and the help and definitely will be hearing from me soon!!!!