IGNORED

Is this worth $350

Hi I'm new here ,but not new to motorcycles....I found this venture on Facebook market place...the guy says all it needs is 2 new tires,rear brakes bled,and of course the fairing and side covers...so my delima is do I buy it to restore or do I strip it down make it a lightweight and somewhat different cruiser?  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/777361863338677/

The problem with the ‘83 - mid ‘85 is that they eventually lose second gear.  That one is right about the mileage that it usually happens.  Great bikes but the second gear issue involves removing the engine and splitting the case.   It can be too expensive if you don’t want to do it yourself.   Personally, I would pass.   

You can ride those bikes skipping 2nd gear when it goes out.  But, that bike looks like a big project.  All depends if you want a big project.  If you decide to get it, there are lots of knowledgeable members here who could give you good repair advice.  

• Like 1

I would look around and see if you can find a better bike for a little bit more money as you might be better off with that.  The question is how mechanical are you and do you want to take on a big project. 

Good luck..

Rick F.

@Freebird mentioned 2nd gear, it’s a question of when not if, it’s gonna go. The missing body parts are fairly hard to find in good shape, they’re out there but the abs plastic gets brittle with age and get damaged. The 83’s also have a history of broken frames. If you’re looking for a Venture project I would go with the 86-93 in my opinion. 

• Like 1