IGNORED

RSV 2007 Starts with choke on, but slowly loses power and dies

My 2007 RSV has been having starting issues.  When starting, I choke the bike and it usually starts right up.  However, within a minute or two it seems to act as if it is not getting fuel and slowly dies.  (Yes, I have fuel in the tank). It becomes increasingly difficulty to start to the point where it is just limping before it completely dies.  The other night when this happened, I twisted the knob (I believe it controls the idle) and I was able to get it to run.  Then rode the bike about two hours.  I am not sure the idle knob really has anything to do with it starting.  Now when I try to start it is giving me the same symptoms, starts on choke but is struggling to run and then eventually dies.  When attempting to give it throttle, it immediately dies.  Any suggestions?  

Also, when changing the left rear spark plug I noticed a metallic tube in the spark plug chamber.  Should this have a hose on it?  What is that for?  Is it in every spark plug chamber?

Al

• 1 month later...

I cant believe no one answered this. fist I have no idea what this metal tube is never seen this on any of my 3 ventures. as for the bike not running without the choke, it can be any number of fuel or air problems. air filters, vacuum leak, fuel filter, fuel pump, water and dirt in bottom of tank, plugged vacuum orifice on top of tank. it could even be the valves clearence is out of specs. 

• Like 1

Problem Solved.....Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter.  Fuel pump was definitely the issue.  It must have been weak for several months.  Now, she starts (most of the time without the choke) with the lightest of button touches.  My new fuel pump makes an engaging sound in the beginning and that lets me know the pressure is ON!  All is good.  Now to fix that pesky water hose leak on the radiator.  Hose clamp keeps coming loose.  I will replace.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from 740 mile ride to and through the Sierras this last weekend.  Bike is running like new.....I am revving it up higher, ran 100mph for over an hour through the desert on the way home to Vegas.  Several passing of slower car (trains) out on the road, and that was fun!  New Dunlops, New Fuel Pump, New Plugs and new filter seems to have made all of the difference.  I have not used my choke to start the bike since the fuel pump was added.  While the bike good (or so it seemed) before the new fuel pump, I can tell afterwards that the pump was weak.  Running at higher speeds was more taxing, whereas now, it is effortless.  I can run almost to 100 before I shift to 5th gear.  What a ride!  

• Like 1