IGNORED

Just got an 1984 Venture Royale 1200 - She's in need of Carburator help and WAS starting on choke only before I cleaned it - old gas too.

I've also had to back my air mixture screws out like nearly to 5 turns -- which is what it was at when I got the bike. Does that sound... right?

And aren't these actually FUEL MIXTURE screws? 

Well guys, I’m as dumb as a peanut lol. I didn’t risk taking apart the body jets, two still won’t come out but daaaamn look at that, horrifyingly gross.

explains the idle issue, at least one of the jets was FULLY plugged.

D1811FB0-7794-40DF-8D9E-40DE998CB18D.jpeg

94AAD7F8-BAE9-46DB-8B37-D9AA7D091984.jpeg

A21A319E-8F13-41B0-A66D-9CB408EC9F09.jpeg

CE3461B9-0B1F-4FF5-8A9C-A0855C6B9927.jpeg

00A47F95-67E9-496C-BF46-C34F4E463215.jpeg

C263A7D3-59E7-493A-BC29-C90CA9B80161.jpeg

Two idle jets were 100% clogged. Ended up having a spare body assembly that was in near mint condition. I'll swap that into the bike and assume that the one pilot I can't get out is probably gummed up as well.

So I'm REALLY hoping she starts & idles like a gem. Things are soaking right now..

So? did it work?

Those jets were ROUGH. I just rebuilt the carbs on mine (still having a few similar issues) but mine were clean as a whistle compared to those. The pilot jets? not so much... 3 of 4 were clogged. 

• Like 1

I just finished putting them together and will install tomorrow morning. Will let ya know how it goes.

why don’t you start a thread on your situation and send a link, would love to dive in and help you in the efforts of learning more.

• Like 1

Good pics and also a good example of why I have said many times in the past, once you have the carb out due to suspect carb issues you may as well go whole hog and do a complete, thorough tear down and overhaul. It just seldom pays to cut corners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Solace said:

I just finished putting them together and will install tomorrow morning. Will let ya know how it goes.

why don’t you start a thread on your situation and send a link, would love to dive in and help you in the efforts of learning more.

Make sure to bench sync before installing. And double check the float levels.

ROAR! Holy smokes! She's alive.

Now I just can't get the idle to calm down and we got some pretty big back firing going on. 

She is bench sync'd and I do have the sync tool now but am taking a break for a bit before playing with that. 

HIGH IDLE, throttle is completely backed out, butterfly valves are completely closed, choke is off.

BACKFIRE is pretty loud.

CARB SYNC TOOL IS REQUIRED FOR THIS BIKE!  I ended up setting the air mixture screws to 1.5, a little popping, then down to 1.0 -- idle became very nice, no popping, throttle response was dope. 

I hooked up the carb sync tool and made some adjustments and I could hear it IMMEDIATELY in the engine! 

There was only one thing left to do: RIDE.

And ride I did. It's perfect. It's so smooth. 

THANK YOU to this community, I'll post some final videos of it soon. I hope this helps someone out there!

44 minutes ago, Solace said:

Fancy looking tool, nice case as well. Just be sure to match all gauges before you use them each time. When you sync the carbs it's important to have them all at the same vacuum, which is not the same as the highest possible vacuum, so they all have to be dead on with each other. You need to hook them all to the same cylinder at the same time somehow, or have another source of vacuum so they can be tested and calibrated.

Oh wow crazy. Yeah my gauges were all over the place so I kinda took an average. I took the bike out for a spin with the wife on the back. No problem. Started super easy after cooling, no choke needed. I just need to adjust throttle cable and idle settings and she will be happy. Seems to have a slow return to idle, but man, this bike for $600 CAD + $300 in parts, 3 weeks of time has been awesome .

Gonna paint her Royal Blue. 

10 minutes ago, Solace said:

Oh wow crazy. Yeah my gauges were all over the place so I kinda took an average. I took the bike out for a spin with the wife on the back. No problem. Started super easy after cooling, no choke needed. I just need to adjust throttle cable and idle settings and she will be happy. Seems to have a slow return to idle, but man, this bike for $600 CAD + $300 in parts, 3 weeks of time has been awesome .

Gonna paint her Royal Blue. 

Those gauges are adjustable but you will still need to make sure they read the same.

5 minutes ago, Solace said:

Here she is boys and girls. Nothing to do now but clean up, fairing, dressing, oil change, brakes, etc. :)

SHES A RUNNER!

You will need to put restrictors in the lines to get those gauges to settle down so that real time vacuum can be read.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 10:05 PM, Solace said:

You are right. I'll do it when I get back to it this weekend. 2 kids take up a lot of time! 

However, the summary is I just did a full carb rebuild (1st time ever, learnt a lot) and it idles beautifully but bogs when you crack the throttle. 

just changed the fuel filter and I am going to put a new fuel pump on it. 

need to order a sync tool and follow your lead! :)

On 5/13/2022 at 9:27 AM, Solace said:

VICTORY! Well sorta. 

Upon inspection it appears that only ONE of the MAIN NOZZLE had o-rings. So what I did was a hack, 2 smaller o-rings out of a generic kit to try to fill the gap. You can see in other photos I'm kinda learning what they do, I installed way too fat of a ring and it doesn't fit. So looks like the last guy working on these just didn't bother with them, perhaps. 

Next up is the coil pack was certainly defective, and I have now by passed it. Simply cut out the old one, steal the adapter and I'm going to home it under the radio, and I will probably just do ALL coil packs. 

She still only starts with quickstart. But I can get her a little more quiet. I need to adjust the air/mixture screws for sure, I have a feeling they're outa whack from the last guy. 

I put my hand behind the exhaust and both pipes were HOT, where as last time the left pipe was half as hot. So the ignition coil was for sure a problem - you think I should replace all coils? 

REALLY excited that I may have it figured out today.

IMG_1363.JPEG

IMG_1364.JPEG

IMG_1360.JPEG

IMG_1361.JPEG

IMG_1362.JPEG

Just a question for those who know more than me (and becuase it effects me also!) is this the right location for the rubber seal? The carb diagram I have would indicate it goes the other side (and the gasket appears to have a larger hole cut out for it?) = That is where I put them, so I may well be wrong?  

13 minutes ago, UK_in_NY said:

Just a question for those who know more than me (and becuase it effects me also!) is this the right location for the rubber seal? The carb diagram I have would indicate it goes the other side (and the gasket appears to have a larger hole cut out for it?) = That is where I put them, so I may well be wrong?  

My recollection is that I run into the same issue some years ago, and discovered at the time that it goes with the gasket as you indicate. It really doesn't do much good in the curved body of the carb throat in MHO. Not only that, but it looks weird.

Note: I bought 4 sets of spark plugs. I knew I was burning some up, the bike wouldn’t start on the plugs I gunked in experiments. If you’re doing the same: get plugs until you get it right.