IGNORED

Build a Trailer to haul Motrocycles

larrydr

I plan to build a light trailer to load and haul / carry motorcycles ..I have a hitch for my 83 venture XVZ1200 and am planning to build a trailer I can hook to my 83  ..Mostly for work and sometimes a motorcycle .. I need input on how a trailer will affect the handling on my 83 ...I intend to build the trailer 24 inches wide and 48 inches with an extension kit that allow to carry a bike ...There has been number of guys asking to transport motorcycles here ...I know that length will affect the handling ..At $7.67 per gallon of gas , I will be parking my truck till the gas come back down ..Talked to some of the larger whole sale gas depots today ...Appears our government has added another 12% sales tax to our gasoline prices . This makes 36% of gas prices tax

You may get varying opinions about this but in my opinion, it has more to do with the weight that you plan to haul than the length.  What size motorcycles are you planning to haul?  The Ventures, depending on model, can weigh close to 1,000 lbs.  I certainly don't think that pulling that much weight with a motorcycle is wise.  Possibly a small dirt bike or something would be OK.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uncledj said:

At $7.67 per gallon of gas

WOW....and I've been bitc**ng about $3.19 a gallon.   

Our 2 vehicles are gas hogs, so we may want to start riding more as well.

Won't be taking the motorhome out much either.

Crypto Nft GIF by Digital Pratik

You need to remember to take into account the exchange rate.  Look at any book or magazine and you’ll notice the Canadian price is always almost double.

Sadly my Expy and F150 sit parked at home in favor of the Kia spectra and Saturn just because of gas prices.

Edited by Pasta Burner

3 hours ago, Freebird said:

You may get varying opinions about this but in my opinion, it has more to do with the weight that you plan to haul than the length.  What size motorcycles are you planning to haul?  The Ventures, depending on model, can weigh close to 1,000 lbs.  I certainly don't think that pulling that much weight with a motorcycle is wise.  Possibly a small dirt bike or something would be OK.  

I do agree with the weight issue ..Would axle position also affect the handling or maybe a multi axle trailer . And far as what size bike I would be loading , I am not sure ....I do know that the requests I to haul are in the 600 lb class

Edited by larrydr

• 4 weeks later...

Just went out and bought me a gas guzzler.  Old age, totaling the truck in Oct.,a heart attack last Dec, and cracking my head on something in Jan has pretty much put a kabotz to any running around.  So 7 bucks a gal isn't an issue.  Mostly running around to get a burrito, or KFC, and the post office..  Less than a 'hundred miles a week.  Doing a lot better lately...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Condor said:

Just went out and bought me a gas guzzler.  Old age, totaling the truck in Oct.,a heart attack last Dec, and cracking my head on something in Jan has pretty much put a kabotz to any running around.  So 7 bucks a gal isn't an issue.  Mostly running around to get a burrito, or KFC, and the post office..  Less than a 'hundred miles a week.  Doing a lot better lately...

OOuch!! That could make a feller old in a hurry. Time to adjust to the new environment!

On 2/18/2022 at 9:29 AM, larrydr said:

I do agree with the weight issue ..Would axle position also affect the handling or maybe a multi axle trailer . And far as what size bike I would be loading , I am not sure ....I do know that the requests I to haul are in the 600 lb class

Axle position definitely will effect handling, actually all components have an effect, some to a greater degree some maybe lesser. Best to do a lot of research, 1 inch can make a hug difference.  When that's all put together yo then have to learn how to load it properly as well.

• Like 1