IGNORED

Fuel, spark, air??? Who Knows?? HELP

I’ve owned this bike for a year and have never been able to enjoy it, it’s possessed. I’ve had the carbs worked on twice and now believe my issue is electrical   Rode Sunday and was running great for 50 miles, started up a hill and it started spitting, popping, and sputtering!  Pulled in for lunch and cranked up and all was good again.  Got home and it’s doing the same thing.   I would be thankful for any advice.  I haven’t looked at the plugs but it does have a tendency to foul a few.  Also notice some static coming through my radio and when I beep the horn I get some feedback in my radio.  Just at a loss.  

From what you are saying I am inclined to agree the issue could be electrical. I would go over all the wiring to the ignition system checking for loose, corroded wires and fretting terminals specially the ones going to the ignition module. Even if they look not bad clean them up with contact cleaner and then put some type of terminal corrosion protector on them. Some use dielectric grease, myself for electronics and low voltage circuits I prefer something lighter like ACF50 which cleans and protects as well as many other uses. You can get it from amazon and some auto bike parts stores carry it.

https://learchem.com/industry/motorcycle.html

https://learchem.com/products/acf-50.html

Edited by saddlebum

Gotta start from scratch and that would be the gas tank. Need to eliminate that you might have some water in the bottom of the tank, so chuck in a bottle of methyl hydrate, called gasline antifreeze. That will soak up the water to clarify that part of things.

Yep, check your plugs, although I doubt that to be the issue.

Just because you had work done on the carbs doesn't mean anything useful was accomplished.

Make sure that the enricher valves move all the way in when you push back the 'choke' button. Pull and push on the choke and watch that the valves actually move all the back to seating at home.

7 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

Gotta start from scratch and that would be the gas tank. Need to eliminate that you might have some water in the bottom of the tank, so chuck in a bottle of methyl hydrate, called gasline antifreeze. That will soak up the water to clarify that part of things.

Just because you had work done on the carbs doesn't mean anything useful was accomplished.

Make sure that the enricher valves move all the way in when you push back the 'choke' button. Pull and push on the choke and watch that the valves actually move all the back to seating at home.

The tank has been flushed.  

3 minutes ago, Flash105 said:

Where is the best place for parts??  Coils, wires. 

Before you jump too far ahead check thing s out first. I had a similar issue some years back and found #3 miss firing due to no spark. Was about to replace the ignition module when I noticed the corroded connectors as I started pulling it apart. I cleaned everything using thin strips of sand paper were I could spraying everything with contact cleaner as I worked away. Then sprayed everything with ACF50 as a final cleaning flushing well and reassembled everything. The bike has run like a charm ever since and that was 5 years ago.

42 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

Where can I find the enricher valves 

32 minutes ago, Flash105 said:

Where can I find the enricher valves 

That's better known as the choke. Sometimes the linkage isn't set right and can tend to keep the enriching circuit open and this will cause the bike to run rich. The actual mechanical portion of it is on the side of each carburetor.