IGNORED

Basic beginner rider safer course

Kybronco

Just completed my beginner rider safety class held by Man of war Harley in Lexington Ky. It was challenging and on the last day it rained and the wind almost blew me over . Now I can put my motorcycle endorsement on my license and practice practice practice! Spring is here and like all of us I’m anxious to get out and about after a difficult year . I got my second COVID shot today! I know everyone wants to put this last year of this virus behind us and get back to some kind of normal so stay safe everyone and I’ll see you on the road!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Good for you!! You did a lot of learnin' now the training starts.

Just remember: The throttle is your friend. That's what I was taught some years ago.

What they drilled into me 20some years ago...”speed is safe”.  Yes and no that’s for sure.

Honestly I think what has me most timid getting used to my 87 at low speed is carbs over fuel injection.  It’s mental not mechanical.

Edited by Pasta Burner

Good for you and congratulations but keep in mind the course is only the foundation. The rest depends on how you build on that foundation. Eye's ear's and the grey matter between your ears and how you use them are the most important tools in your arsenal of safety equipment. Distraction, not paying attention and cockiness are your most dangerous pitfalls. Having said all that and not meaning to rain on your parade, enjoy your summer and rack up some miles of one of the greatest pleasures available to us all.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

Sometimes an hour or two of slow riding on parking lots or around traffic markers can do a lot for one driving ability .

At our Antique Motorcycle Club Rally we had a few driving skills testing events ..

Lay a 2 inch x 8 inch  x 24 foot long wood on the ground and try riding your bike along the wood without driving off it .

2 years ago my wife and I were returning home from 4 day outing at 120 ks an hour when I saw we were coming up to small car following a semi truck .

I first noticed part of a tire coming from the rear of the truck , hitting the small car coming over it in our direction then off to the left hand lane .

Then a second piece or the remainder of the wheel an tire came up from the truck hitting the small car and coming right at us .

I cut the my bike to a hard left and I noticed the shoulder right there in front of us , I then turned my bike to a sharp right now heading for the rear of the truck .

The first piece of the tire was on the pavement on my left and the remainder of the wheel and tire were coming right at us I turned the bike to a hard left and as the wheel landed it hit my right foot .

I was able to keep the bike up right as I tryed head away from traffic ..

My foot and leg turned numb , traffic was stopping from all directions , so slowed the bike to a stop on the right shoulder and waited to catch my breath ...

There were plenty of people stopping so we continued on our way ..

I have to say that the worst of all of this was my wife grabbing me from behind and screaming .

My leg and for did not hurt till and hour later , could not wait to get home , I had had enough for one day   

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:04 PM, saddlebum said:

Good for you and congratulations but keep in mind the course is only the foundation. The rest depends on how you build on that foundation. Eye's ear's and the grey matter between your ears and how you use them are the most important tools in your arsenal of safety equipment. Distraction, not paying attention and cockiness are your most dangerous pitfalls. Having said all that and not meaning to rain on your parade, enjoy your summer and rack up some miles of one of the greatest pleasures available to us all.

To add to above..... Pilots know the most dangerous time for newbies is after a few hundred hours of flight time. We become complacent. Feeling sure in our knowledge. The same is true for riding. We become relaxed and that can be dangerous.

Glad you took the course. Consider taking the next, advanced course after you have some hours behind you. And if you begin to feel complacent about your riding skills, re-evaluate! 

Stay safe. Enjoy the ride! Practice, practice, practice (thanks Cowpuc)!!

Welcome to the wind in your face club!

• Like 2