IGNORED

Loaded tool chest

Pasta Burner

I remember growing up and walking through Sears with my dad and looking at what I remember now as a fully loaded mechanics tool chest.  Like a roll away with top chest not a couple hundred piece hand carry.  I can’t seem to find anything like that.  Maybe it was a dream I had back then.  Any ideas?

• Like 1

I remember them very well.  Can't remember the last time I saw one though.  Craftsman used to have some of the most complete sets that I've ever seen.  Of course, Sears sold the Craftsman brand a few years ago and I haven't seen anything like that since then or before then.  I just did a quick search and didn't come up with a lot.  I think of the big tool trucks like "Snap On" may have them but you would have to take out a second mortgage to buy it.  The only thing I found was "Teng Tools".  The reviews are really good but I've never heard of them.

https://tengtoolsusa.com/products/teng-tools-tcmonster02-1100-piece-monster-mega-master-tool-kit

• Thanks 1

https://www.grainger.com/search/tools/hand-tools/tools-kits/master-sets?attrs=Tool+Storage+Included|Yes&filters=attrs&searchQuery=tool+kit+with+rollaway&sst=4&ts_optout=true&ts_optout=true&sortKey=price&sortOrder=desc

Anyone heard of Porto?   I’m pretty sure We had torque drivers by Proto, but don’t know if they are one in the same.  Like @Freebird said about Teng, never heard of them.

I should mention money is not really a concern as this is for professional use not personal.  Also no need for any metric tools.

has anyone worked with the tool trucks like Snap-on or Matco?  Any advice? Do they make up custom kits?

1 hour ago, SpencerPJ said:

Harbor Freight actually has a great selection of the chests, I've debated doing it.  Wait for a sale, they take about 50% off the list.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization.html

@SpencerPJ I have a series 1 US general rollaway with top chest my wifey bought me for Christmas a few years back.  Absolutely love it.  With full ball bearing slides it’s a solid unit.

• Like 2

In 1980 I was employed  by  the Tupperware Company in Morden Manitoba ..The company bought a lot tools but they kept on getting lost ..I went to see the plant manager to ask for a tool allowance . for each of the repair crew ...I went to Winnipeg to the Sears , and bought 6 sets of( Craftsman Tools )  tools for $1300.00 and 6 tool boxes and 6 roll cabinets $2400.00 and this did solve the tool problem ...The manager called me to his office to tell me that this tool purchase was saving them money ..Each of the guys had to agree that any tools lost was their expense  ........I agree with the comment that craftsman tools are bulky ...I SERVICED GM CARS FROM 1965 --1968,,,CHRSYLER CARS FROM 1968 T0 1971 ,,,FORD CARS FROM 1971 TO LATE LATE 1974 ,,,i DID FIND THAT MAC & SNAP ON TOOLS ARE A MUCH BETTER GRADE OF TOOLS  ...OPS..SORRY MY CAPS LOCK IS ON 

Edited by larrydr
  • Like 2

well i have proto tools among others.   The problem i have with them is when its below zero.   You put a good pull on a socket and they split right in half.  So you drive your knuckles into something.   the chrome peals on the hand wrench jaws.

36 minutes ago, larrydr said:

In 1980 I was employed  by  the Tupperware Company in Morden Manitoba ..The company bought a lot tools but they kept on getting lost ..I went to see the plant manager to ask for a tool allowance . for each of the repair crew ...I went to Winnipeg to the Sears , and bought 6 sets of( Craftsman Tools )  tools for $1300.00 and 6 tool boxes and 6 roll cabinets $2400.00 and this did solve the tool problem ...The manager called me to his office to tell me that this tool purchase was saving them money ..Each of the guys had to agree that any tools lost was their expense

Lucky for me in this situation tools growing legs isn’t a concern either, we’re a 4 man field crew with a common mindset and goal.  When I worked back East years ago and was in charge of tool distribution for around 40 technicians most of which were subs I was advised buy three times what need.  One to disappear, one to break, and one to actually do the job.

buying a set and building myself is an option but I was hoping for an out the door kit.

7 minutes ago, rbig1 said:

well i have proto tools among others.   The problem i have with them is when its below zero.   You put a good pull on a socket and they split right in half.  So you drive your knuckles into something.   the chrome peals on the hand wrench jaws.

Climate won’t be an issue, we’re in a controlled environment, but FOD would be a deal breaker.  Did you have chrome issue under room temp conditions?

20 years ago I fell in love with the craftsman professional series sockets and ratchet.  Just got a 3/8 30ish piece set as a gift and that handle is so comfortable.

17 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

buying a set and building myself is an option but I was hoping for an out the door kit.

Problem with an out the door kit, you might end up with 75% crap you really don't need or will use.  Good luck.  Seems I saw some better stuff at a Northern Tool place as well.

My employer has provided us each with a set of Craftsman tools complete with metric wrenches  and nut drivers of common sizes. Trouble is, I have never touched half the wrenches in that tool cabinet. We use only SAE. My vote is to build your own set of what you use. It’s cheaper than buying a set you will only use half of, and you don’t have to drag the extra weight around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been servicing garage ,shop doors , air craft hanger door since1974 ...

I buy the USA made operators mostly and all bearings are in standard inch measurements .

Guess what ...the replacement shafts are imported and come in metric measurement and none of the bearings fit .

I have had to buy a metal lathe to cut the shaft down to fit the inch measurement bearings .

Our government is so bent on pleasing any out of of Canada company  

They put it own industry in second place ,

Cheaper always cost more in the long term

14 hours ago, rbig1 said:

I don't care for craftsman hand wrenches as there to bulky.  wont fit in tight areas

I agree plus I find them two soft and have worn out many of the the smaller sizes which resulted in rounding off nuts. I also do not like their sockets I have split about every craftsman socket I have owned. Split a lot of snapon ones as well. I find husky and gray to be much stronger as well as their ratchets. My husky ratchets are 55 years old and even though I have used pipes on the handles they are still as good today as when I got them as a teenager. Were as My Snapon ratchets are always stripping on me and just from normal use I don't dare use a pipe on them because I know they won't take it.. Granted they warranty them but a lot of good that does you when your out in the middle of no where  trying to repair some drivers rig broke down on the side of the road. I have had a few craftsman ratchets and other than being bulky they have stood up to some good abuse as well.

Unfortunately time is against me in building a chest full of only what I need, I’ll never think of it all before the contract runs out and the money is gone.  Use or loose situation. Our workload albeit relatively the same weapon system is always changing with one off situations so honestly we never know what we’ll need and figure a way to use what we have.  Or bring in tools from home to get the job done.  Interestingly I searched for this weeks ago on my laptop with no luck but when I tried again on my phone I found what I was looking for ish.  I’m pretty settled in on this set.  Set was the key word rather than kit.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/US-Set-6/Complete-US-Set-6-(Orange)/9600GSBO

At the college I work at we buy sets and special tools from a place tooltopia.com. Most stuff has good pricing and free freight over $75. I agree 80% of the time with kits you end up with stuff you dont need. And as far a pieces, they count the box, the little trays and separators etc. If you can get smaller sets of what you need socket wise, wrenches etc I think your better off.

21 hours ago, bpate4home said:

And . . . . Every one of these set will be missing the 10mm within a month .😂

I have magical tools I am constantly buying 5/8" wrenches and they keep changing into 11/16' wrenches. I now own seven 11/16" wrenches which I have never bought but am lucky if I have a 5/8" wrench in my box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2