IGNORED

Riding Days may be nearing an end

Freebird

Things have not been good for riding this year. Last year either for that matter. I've kept it quiet because I thought it was something that would just pass but I'm having some serious dizzy spells. It started a couple of years ago but is progressively getting worse. There was a time when it was only an occasional thing but had gotten to the point of several days a week and this week it has been every day and all day and night. Even when I lay down, I am still dizzy. Not tot he point that I can't function but just have to be very careful. When I got up this morning I had to be careful because immediately when I got out of bed, I was unstable. Had to be especially careful going down the stairs. If I turn my head to fast, it gets even worse. A couple of years ago, they said that I had very slight high blood pressure and put me on a blood pressure medication. Very low dose, 10 mg, but it was too much and was driving my pressure down in the 85/55 range. That made me dizzy and I though it was the problem. I started taking half of what was prescribed and most days it was ok. Now it doesn't seem to be doing the trick and my blood pressure fluctuates a good bit between 85/55 and as high as 160/100.

So, I have been going to the doctor to try and get it figured out but no conclusions yet. I have another appointment and some tests today so we'll see.

If they don't find a cause for it pretty soon, I'll likely be selling may bike. It is just not getting used at all. I bought it last fall and it's still not even through the break in period yet. I think it has 850 miles on it and I just did the first oil change a few weeks ago. I would hate to give it up and won't until I know if they can get a grip on this or not but will have to make a decision in the near future.

Hopefully it is all something that can be easily resolved. They are looking at my adrenal glands now and I may have to have one of them removed but don't know that yet.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!! wish I could send out words of wisdom and comfort. Yeh, I can type them, but you will still have to deal with what has been tossed onto your plate. It's too bad that we humans managed to screw-up a perfect world that was made perfect, for us to enjoy, but on the same hand it's also a blessing to know that evil hasn't taken over completely and that His Spirit still has a presence here to keep that evil somewhat in check.

Best I can do is to present your life to the throne of the One who rules, maybe He will find compassion on you and provide what it takes to straighten things out for a while longer.

Sorry to hear this Don. Hopefully they can figure out what ails you and get it resolved.

Don, don't give up yet!! you will get this straightened out and be back in the saddle again, just a minor set back. Us old coots get that every now and then, but we always get back to business. Good Luck my friend!

Really sorry to read this but you are doing the right thing by waiting for more diagnosis. I started about a year ago with dizziness (not Cowpuc's fault), wound up with it being sinus infection. Seems my normal allergies became much more sensitive. Getting shots every week now.

Good luck Don, I will be praying for you.

:farmer:

Hopefully it is all something that can be easily resolved.

Have they checked for Meniere's disease yet?

What happens when you do Epley Maneuvers over the foot of your bed? Discuss the results with your doctor.

Just trying to help. Best wishes.

So sorry to hear this Freebird. Don't sell the bike yet. You are still a young man and this problem will be resolved I'm sure.

Has the doctor mentioned a MRI of the brain?

I heard a squeaking or whistling noise every time my heart beat back in 2008. An MRI was ordered and a peculiar mass was found in the lower left of my brain. Another MRI was performed with dye. The MRI provided very detailed photos of my brain. It turned out to be (they think) a mass of tiny arteries and veins connected together, sort of a bypass. I don't remember the medical term for this condition. Anyhow, the noise stopped mostly and I continued trucking. The doctors were amazed. They initially thought it was a tumor. There is more to the story but nobody would believe it if I told it.

Sorry to hear it.

I would hold off any selling decisions until you have more comprehensive information from the medical professionals.

I know it can be maddening having your bike just sit there. You want to ride it but can't. It is incredibly frustrating.

I had arthritis so bad last year I sold my bike. Then they put me on a heavy duty medication which has knocked the arthritis back 90%.

I never would have believed it was possible.

So don't lose hope.

I'm pulling for ya.

Bill

Out of curiousity brother, have you had your ears/hearing checked recently too? A small amount of wax on a drum or an inner ear infection can cause symptoms like you are experiencing BIG TIME!!

I know what your facing on making the decision to back off on the two wheeler travel my friend,, it is definitely NOT a fun decision to make,, especially when riding/working on em and owning em is such a passion that we share. My demise was due to overwhelming tiredness hitting out of no where and, as your situation, things could have gotten ugly fast - just not worth the risk. Tip and I switched over to 4 wheels, just got in from a 7k miler plus,, had a BLAST but did indeed experience the tiredness several times and she had to drive while I slept. On the way in from Sturgis it "hit me" in a construction zone, pulled over in a rest area, got out, pulled the bed forward while Tip moved behind the wheel, slid my shoes off and crawled in,, woke up an hour later all ready to roll again and discovered I had left my tenner shoes on the pavement LOL.. I then told Tip how happy I was that she was so supportive of my condition needs to make the switch and being good with sleeping in our little "mtr home" instead of tenting it as loosing a pair of tenner shoes is/was nothing compared to what could happen if I nodded out at the grips and we took a tumble into one of those Black Hills canyons..

Tweeks and Maggie are confined to local riding only and this works great! While neither of them get the CTFW time in they deserve, I cant imagine being bikeless even if I/we only ride a few times a year.. Maybe a sell off of the high $ steed and dropping back to something less valuable is in your future my friend.. I know when I left Olivia, my 42 HD, at home when we traveled I had night mares of getting broke into and having her gone.. Just to much cash sitting there not getting used.. I loved that bike but it was time..

Fingers getting tired here typing like you and I are sitting in the garage yappin... Will be praying for your health and decision making Don.. Listen to that internal still voice of the Lord and you will be fine brother...

Shoulda let me auction off the new Venture at MD LOL

Edited by cowpuc

Am in the waiting room now. I expect about 3 hours of tests today. The dizziness just got to the point of me needing to get it checked. Even driving the car is an issue at times. Things sometimes get real bright like I’m close to passing out. Have pulled to the side of the road a few times to let it pass. Strange because it seems like when I’m working, physical labor, I’m ok but then it comes back. They have already found a module on one of my adrenal glands that they think may be causing problems. It may be making me excrete to much adrenaline. My flight or fight may be out of whack. Today’s tests should help determine if that is an issue.

Am in the waiting room now. I expect about 3 hours of tests today. The dizziness just got to the point of me needing to get it checked. Even driving the car is an issue at times. Things sometimes get real bright like I’m close to passing out. Have pulled to the side of the road a few times to let it pass. Strange because it seems like when I’m working, physical labor, I’m ok but then it comes back. They have already found a module on one of my adrenal glands that they think may be causing problems. It may be making me excrete to much adrenaline. My flight or fight may be out of whack. Today’s tests should help determine if that is an issue.

GOOD ON YA FOR GETTIN IN THERE AND GETTIN IT FIGURED OUT MY FRIEND!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Prayers Up for your day of diagonstics Don and a good outcome therein!!

Things have not been good for riding this year. Last year either for that matter. I've kept it quiet because I thought it was something that would just pass but I'm having some serious dizzy spells. It started a couple of years ago but is progressively getting worse. There was a time when it was only an occasional thing but had gotten to the point of several days a week and this week it has been every day and all day and night. Even when I lay down, I am still dizzy. Not tot he point that I can't function but just have to be very careful. When I got up this morning I had to be careful because immediately when I got out of bed, I was unstable. Had to be especially careful going down the stairs. If I turn my head to fast, it gets even worse. A couple of years ago, they said that I had very slight high blood pressure and put me on a blood pressure medication. Very low dose, 10 mg, but it was too much and was driving my pressure down in the 85/55 range. That made me dizzy and I though it was the problem. I started taking half of what was prescribed and most days it was ok. Now it doesn't seem to be doing the trick and my blood pressure fluctuates a good bit between 85/55 and as high as 160/100.

So, I have been going to the doctor to try and get it figured out but no conclusions yet. I have another appointment and some tests today so we'll see.

If they don't find a cause for it pretty soon, I'll likely be selling may bike. It is just not getting used at all. I bought it last fall and it's still not even through the break in period yet. I think it has 850 miles on it and I just did the first oil change a few weeks ago. I would hate to give it up and won't until I know if they can get a grip on this or not but will have to make a decision in the near future.

Hopefully it is all something that can be easily resolved. They are looking at my adrenal glands now and I may have to have one of them removed but don't know that yet.

Welcome to my world Don. Before giving up on the scoot make sure there's nothing serious going on. Low blood pressure will cause the dizzy's. I had the same thing happen to be with too strong of a BP med. 120/80 is considered normal BP. I was running boarder line high, but now have settled at 134/70. With your BP history I wonder why they even put you on any med's. With the angioplasty I had they did find a blockage in one of the heart veins, but chose not to stint it due to capillaries growing past the blockage. So they put me on a Beta Blocker and things are looking good. I still have trouble with my balance and have built quite a cane collection.. :-) Thinking about riding on a two wheeler is scary. I know I should sell off my herd of Venture's, but there'd be nothing to hug or dream about. So again I'd hold on to your scoot for a while. It's it amazing that the older we get the less time we have to mess with all our 'hobbies'.... :-)

PS: You may already have one, but if not pick up one of those battery powdered BP monitor's. I have one and it's probably 20 years old and still works. When things start acting goofy I monitor BP daily...

Prayers up Freebird. Hopefully they get this sorted out easily. My dad had some issues similar to as you describe, he was darn near dehydrated, wasn't drinking enough water. I'm sure it will be a small imbalance of something that is easily corrected. :happy34:

Edited by SpencerPJ

Sorry to hear about your situation Don. Hopefully they find the root cause and find a solution for you. Chabicheka was/or is in the same boat. He was having vertigo attacks and this is why he switched from 2 wheels to 3 wheels. Apparently from my last conversation with him the meds he is on is helping. I know from personal experience vertigo is no fun. Lay down and stare at a stippled ceiling and it moves like waves on the water making you get sea sick, closing your eyes only makes it worse. I used gravol to get through it but they were just a couple of small short bouts nothing as bad as what you seem to be having. I seriously hope you get to the bottom of this and will be able to continue to ride at the end of this.

Stupid question, but I have to ask, did they change your bp medicine to another type? Seems to me that when I have an issue, it is usually one of the meds I'm taking and I figure out which one and stop taking it. I have tried 3 statin drugs and couldn't tolerate any of them. Lipitor made me dizzy by the way. I took tamulosin for a while because I have an enlarged prostate to help me relieve myself but after a few months, it started affecting my vision so I stopped taking it. Later I tried it one more time with the same result. So, think about the meds that you are taking and research them to see if dizziness is a possible side effect.

When I was in my early 50's, I was proud of the fact that I didn't need any medications. Boy, now that I'm 75 that situation surely has changed!