IGNORED

Why woud there be a vacuum line on number 1 carb intake

So I picked up a New to me 87 Venture Royal Sunday afternoon for $400 its got the famous E4 Code. Also when I was looking over the carbs I noticed a hose coming off the Number 1 Intake port with a screw in the end of it. Is that where The vacuum actuator for the cruise control feeds from? I bought the bike not hearing it run the guy said it ran darn good before he said it got hot, Which leads to another question. Did the temp gauge work correctly on the 87's? He said it was a 90 degree day when it happened so he replaced the water pump and never finished putting it back together. I got it home and fired it up with some starting fluid then ran some gas from a gas jug later on to move it temporarily. I used my weedeater gas jug and filled the bowls first and found a float or two sticking, It don't seem to be sticking now and I have moved it outside to allow room in the garage to put the 83s up and change the tire on the 83 I just sold. Seems CB traffic is also very quiet these days! Only thing I don't have for the bike is the head sets and found some of those on Ebay. Also once I get the solders fixed on the Air ride does it only set in the accessory position or should I be able to do it with the bike running? I know the compressor works because it came on in Accessory position. I tried to look that up in the manual but it don't state that or maybe I missed it somewhere. Anyways here is some pictures of the bike.

87 royal 2.jpg87 royal 1.jpg87 royal.jpg

So I picked up a New to me 87 Venture Royal Sunday afternoon for $400 its got the famous E4 Code.

Also when I was looking over the carbs I noticed a hose coming off the Number 1 Intake port with a screw in the end of it. Vacuum advance for the ignition timing

Is that where The vacuum actuator for the cruise control feeds from? No that one is an electric pump

I bought the bike not hearing it run the guy said it ran darn good before he said it got hot, Which leads to another question.

Did the temp gauge work correctly on the 87's? Yep works good

He said it was a 90 degree day when it happened so he replaced the water pump and never finished putting it back together.

So I'd compression test it and by the sounds of it it likely suffered poor maintenance so a carb walk thru is a good idea

I got it home and fired it up with some starting fluid then ran some gas from a gas jug later on to move it temporarily. I used my weedeater gas jug and filled the bowls first and found a float or two sticking, It don't seem to be sticking now and I have moved it outside to allow room in the garage to put the 83s up and change the tire on the 83 I just sold. Seems CB traffic is also very quiet these days! Only thing I don't have for the bike is the head sets and found some of those on Ebay.

Also once I get the solders fixed on the Air ride does it only set in the accessory position Yes only

or should I be able to do it with the bike running? I know the compressor works because it came on in Accessory position. I tried to look that up in the manual but it don't state that or maybe I missed it somewhere. Anyways here is some pictures of the bike.

Nice project what the mileage?

So I picked up a New to me 87 Venture Royal Sunday afternoon for $400 its got the famous E4 Code.

Also when I was looking over the carbs I noticed a hose coming off the Number 1 Intake port with a screw in the end of it. Vacuum advance for the ignition timing

Is that where The vacuum actuator for the cruise control feeds from? No that one is an electric pump

I bought the bike not hearing it run the guy said it ran darn good before he said it got hot, Which leads to another question.

Did the temp gauge work correctly on the 87's? Yep works good

He said it was a 90 degree day when it happened so he replaced the water pump and never finished putting it back together.

So I'd compression test it and by the sounds of it it likely suffered poor maintenance so a carb walk thru is a good idea

I got it home and fired it up with some starting fluid then ran some gas from a gas jug later on to move it temporarily. I used my weedeater gas jug and filled the bowls first and found a float or two sticking, It don't seem to be sticking now and I have moved it outside to allow room in the garage to put the 83s up and change the tire on the 83 I just sold. Seems CB traffic is also very quiet these days! Only thing I don't have for the bike is the head sets and found some of those on Ebay.

Also once I get the solders fixed on the Air ride does it only set in the accessory position Yes only

or should I be able to do it with the bike running? I know the compressor works because it came on in Accessory position. I tried to look that up in the manual but it don't state that or maybe I missed it somewhere. Anyways here is some pictures of the bike.

Nice project what the mileage?

It's got 68,xxx One other things I am gonna assume number 4 cylinder is running about 180 temp the rest were in the 140 range. I don't want to run it much longer then that till I have the Radiator back on. First I need to replace the valve cover gasket in the front the rear has already been replaced. I do want to get the engine power washed, after sitting for a few years its quite dirty! But did plan on doing a compression check.

Well changing the gasket will put you in a prime position to check your coils and wiring connectors, and cam specs.

Ya that #4 eh, not like the jets are fatter, I wouldn't be surprised to see her around 190 ish and the other up and down. Still dude that mileage is a good buy for 400 even to us Canadians with exchange;)

Get a gallon of cheap oil and a couple of good filters, well you know the drill..

The vacuum advance is on carb intake #2 . Cyclinders 1 & 3 are in the back, 2 & 4 are the front ones. The vacuum line connects to the ignition control box under the battery.

The temp gauge on this box will show at the red line and then the fans kicks on is the normal way, so if the previous owner had that happen, it might not have over heated at all..

The air suspension is only adjustable in the accessory position on the key lock.

Hope that helps out.

Rick F.

The vacuum advance is on carb intake #2 . Cyclinders 1 & 3 are in the back, 2 & 4 are the front ones. The vacuum line connects to the ignition control box under the battery.

The temp gauge on this box will show at the red line and then the fans kicks on is the normal way, so if the previous owner had that happen, it might not have over heated at all..

The air suspension is only adjustable in the accessory position on the key lock.

Hope that helps out.

Rick F.

Thanks cimmer for the correction! I looked it up last night and will likely (: need reminding next week again. Seriously who puts #1 in the back;)

Ok so now here is a good one for you all to maybe ponder... Last night I pulled the carbs as I could not get them to do what I needed too. But I also had a spare set setting around. So I put them on the bike and fired her up and she runs beautifully on them. The only thing is there off my 83 only difference I see is part number, Jet size and the vacuum advance port on number 2 carburetor which I plugged that up and synced up the carbs. The 87 has 37.5 jet size where as the 83 has 42 then the main jet on the 87 is 125 and the 83 is the 117.5 I didn't go thru all the carburetor parts but that was my 2 main curiosity. Also the bike ran and idled for a good 30 minutes last night it don't seem to over heat but did bubble a little bit in the recovery tank. I also accidently filled it too much too tho. Then the two annoying tubes that go into the air box look like fun to get back on as the set up is just a little different then on the 83. I haven't fully installed the carbs either just put the choke cable and fuel hose on it. The other set of carbs I am betting has plugged idle jets as it will not run with out choke or idle screw being screwed to the max. Not to mention most of the mixture screws were better then 3 turns out. #4 was out 4.25 turns! Well I am gonna get back to it after a while.

Hey Snyper, only have a minute, thinking you are looking for some quick answers... I think if memory serves 37.5 is California jetting which is leanish

Now cause you mentioned running on the enricher well best to check compression... I know but.. talk later Buddy

Patch

Hey Snyper, only have a minute, thinking you are looking for some quick answers... I think if memory serves 37.5 is California jetting which is leanish

Now cause you mentioned running on the enricher well best to check compression... I know but.. talk later Buddy

Patch

The 87s carbs wouldn't run with out the choke. When I put on my spare set I rebuilt a while back everything was all good. Filled the bowls and gave it just a little choke and she fired right up after about 2 minutes she ran fine off of choke. 83 carbs are basically a unicorn 84-85 has a different part number also then 86 to 93 I believe is another part number. when I pull the carbs off I will do the compression check. I did let the bike run for a good 30-40 minutes last night for it to get to temp and such. I also suspect maybe the thermastat is stuck even if not I will probably replace it since it is right there. I also only have water in it at the moment to make sure there was no other issues

Will also add I have never heard a bike run like this one was it litterally sounded like it was missing and thought I was looking at a TCI Issue. The popping now I see what some are talking about when they mention it. Try to accelerate with the 87 carbs on it ran like pooh till it got above 4500 rpm then it smoothed way out.