IGNORED

Zero turn input

Dragonslayer

Here you go. Get something like this and then buy a used Bush Hog type cutter for around 5 or 6 hundred bucks and mow til your heart's content. :)

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/grd/d/ford-8n-tractor/6491946067.html

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/grd/d/1947-ford-9n-tractor/6502642502.html

Those both look " to purty to get durty" but possible worth a road trip to Ohio. Thanks Don

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you have decided on a tractor, I'm curious to know why you have so many acres to occasionally mow. Just mowing instead of cutting and bailing hay. How about some four footed mowers like sheep or cows? Might be a bit more work but there is an income in there.

Now that you have decided on a tractor, I'm curious to know why you have so many acres to occasionally mow. Just mowing instead of cutting and bailing hay. How about some four footed mowers like sheep or cows? Might be a bit more work but there is an income in there.

Good question and there is an answer.

First of all I'm kinda new at gentlemen farming. I never really believed that I would be able to swing the deal for my dream house on acreage. But as it turned out the cards fell in my favor and here I am. The big draw for me was my dream of being to hunt off my porch but this place turned out to be so much more than that for me. When I leased this place 3 years ago the my friend who was the owner had a tractor here that I used to maintain the property for the first year. But he took his tractor to his lake property and I've been maintaining with a riding lawn mower ever since. It has been a major pita.

I thought about raising farm animals such as cows, goats, horses pigs and chickens but that seemed more of a full time job then I wanted to sign up for.

So now I'm thinking about raising quail and rabbits and having a very private deer, rabbit, quail and turkey hunting preserve for my closest friends. The habitat is perfectly set up for that but will require equipment to maintain the land which brings me to my tractor search.

I tried garden crops the first year and invested about $500 for a $50 return in tomatoes and cucumbers. It didn't take me long to realize that I could bought a sh1t load of tomatoes and cucumbers for $500 with a lot less work. I feel the same way about chickens and eggs. A horse would be nice but I was raised on horseback and know how much work they can be. Not trying to create another unpaid full time job at this stage of life.

Being able to stay ahead of the 13 acres of grass is my mission at the moment.

Good question and there is an answer.

I thought about raising farm animals such as cows, goats, horses pigs and chickens but that seemed more of a full time job then I wanted to sign up for.

Not trying to create another unpaid full time job at this stage of life.

Being able to stay ahead of the 13 acres of grass is my mission at the moment.

I get it, makes sense. But, what about hay? It's kinda like grass and needs to be mowed at specific times. There might be someone in your area who does hay and might be encouraged to mow it for free or even for a cut of the produce.

I get it, makes sense. But, what about hay? It's kinda like grass and needs to be mowed at specific times. There might be someone in your area who does hay and might be encouraged to mow it for free or even for a cut of the produce.
There are hay cutters all around me. And I guess I should know about it. In fact the hay cutters meet for coffee at the local store every Saturday morning. I could go up there and start asking questions. My first three concerns would be:

1. If my grass is hay feed quality to be worth anything?

2. Would I get enough yield to make it worth the cost of cutting, bailing, stacking, moving and selling it?

3. And would turn out to be another low paid full time job?

At least tractor riding would be fun.

Edited by Dragonslayer

I've let hay cutters cut my field in the past. I didn't get paid in cash but I saved time, gas, and the headache of mowing it. Just look at it as time and gas not spent on the tractor can be spent on two or three wheels. Having said that I don't have 13 acres, that much hay may bring in even more $$$$ for bike gas. They do the work, take the hay, and you don't break a sweat.

I've let hay cutters cut my field in the past. I didn't get paid in cash but I saved time, gas, and the headache of mowing it. Just look at it as time and gas not spent on the tractor can be spent on two or three wheels. Having said that I don't have 13 acres, that much hay may bring in even more $$$$ for bike gas. They do the work, take the hay, and you don't break a sweat.
That's what I was thinking. You probably have enough land to come out ahead without having to mow or invest in a tractor. You want to ride something, get an ATV or two that you can write off on your taxes.

Dang that is right up my alley. I can wrench pretty Darn good when I want to or put my mind to it. Where can I come and get it. send on pics and details.

If it runs, you can't go wrong. Parts are available from "Just8N" and many other sites. Just Google Ford N series tractors.

:farmer:

What is a Swisher mower? I've heard of Swisher sweets.

Only if you get the Swisher brush cutter and that will run close two $2K. You can't leave the Swishers out in the elements since the decks will rot out. I have replaced two decks already on finish mowers @ $1100 ea.

That would be a lot of hay. How much is hay going for by the bale nowadays?

Around here about $40.00 per round bale. Now if you are going to harvest your own hay, you will need a baler, a hay rake, a hay mower (not a bush hog), and a lot larger tractor 60 HP would be a start. Don't forget the hay trailers, truck and forklift on tractor to load bales.

You may be getting in over your head on this deal. You'd probably need 80 acres to break even. Now if you feed your own cattle you might get by with less acres, maybe 60 acres. You'll need a couple donkeys to protect the newborn calves, the ability to go out in any weather to pull a calf from it's mother due to breach or other issue.

Have a good day!

Around here about $40.00 per round bale. Now if you are going to harvest your own hay, you will need a baler, a hay rake, a hay mower (not a bush hog), and a lot larger tractor 60 HP would be a start. Don't forget the hay trailers, truck and forklift on tractor to load bales.

You may be getting in over your head on this deal. You'd probably need 80 acres to break even. Now if you feed your own cattle you might get by with less acres, maybe 60 acres. You'll need a couple donkeys to protect the newborn calves, the ability to go out in any weather to pull a calf from it's mother due to breach or other issue.

Have a good day!

There you go again, turning this into a full time job. Back to plan A, just keep the grass cut.

There you go again, turning this into a full time job. Back to plan A, just keep the grass cut.

Very glad that I could be of assistance. Buy an old tractor and bush hog. That way all is good. :smile5:

PS: I have been through all this years back.

My Buddy Woody hooked me up with what I think was a deal. Not only did I get what I think will be almost perfect for what I need. (Kubota BX 2230 D, 4 wheel drive 60" belly mower and 3 point hitch with dual pto's , compact tractor) but I also got an antique fixer up project tractor a (1939 Ford 9N with a 4 foot bush hog) I think I got two for less then the price of one...... And he brung em to me all the way from Talladega.

What a guy.:thumbsup:

My Buddy Woody hooked me up with what I think was a deal. Not only did I get what I think will be almost perfect for what I need. (Kubota BX 2230 D, 4 wheel drive 60" belly mower and 3 point hitch with dual pto's , compact tractor) but I also got an antique fixer up project tractor a (1939 Ford 9N with a 4 foot bush hog) I think I got two for less then the price of one...... And he brung em to me all the way from Talladega.

What a guy.:thumbsup:

You did good, use the bush hog on the rear of the Kubota for your tri-annual mowing. DO NOT use the belly mower for the heavy work unless you are going to keep it mowed every two weeks at a minimum. :happy65: