IGNORED

FJR vs Venture Has anyone owned both?

IronMike

Got a lot going on and thinking of Dropping both the 08 Venture Royale and the Roadstar Midnight. Or at least the Venture for a FJR 1300 2013 ES. It just seems it would fit me better the way I ride and where I ride. I have hung out with the Concours Owners Group on some rides and I just like the Ability of that bike but not the few drawbacks it has. Considered a Triumph but ditched that Idea (1200 no go) So far as I look the FJR 1300 is near as perfect as I can get for single, two up and towing. So before I let my beloved beast 2008 go that I have spent so much time outfitting and buying everything Carbon one has for it (LOL) I thought I might ask if anyone has owned both a Venture and a FJR 1300 Keep in mind I am going for the ES model for sure. So any suspension woes you had, don't mention it, that is fixed on the ES. EVEN if you KNOW someone who had the FJR 1300 chime in.

I may be letting the Venture go, package deal, trailer and all. I have a crap load of spare parts! Even spare Bags and Wheels and Diff and Fenders, Hard to decide what goes between the Venture and the roadstar, but Think I like one water cooled and one air cooled so thinking of keeping the Midnight RoadStar.

If the dealer was open today and had one, I might have bought one today.

I know one drawback is going to be the seating position. Legs tuck under and pegs instead of boards. Ugh,

I ride both a Venture (2004) and a Triumph Trophy SE (a bit more expensive and more standard options than a FJR). Can't really compare the two. One is a luxury sport tourer several hundred pounds lighter than a heavy two-up cruiser. Like them both for different reasons. If I had to pick one over the other it would be the Triumph but the wife would be angry if I sold "her bike".

Yea I am planning on doing all three at once, Two up and with a trailer. AND thinking I MIGHT have more room when I don't have a trailer. I can put a larger trunk on I think.

Funny about the smile. I can tell I am going to have to contain myself on that bike.

Man oh man brother,, I walked right by past the PERFECT Sport/Touring bike today Mike and even snapped a pic!!! 2 up, 1 up, twisty carving - Bonneville Speedyway smokin machine I tell ya!!!

Never owned an FJR but they sure look worthy - THEY AREGORGEOUS!! I have also wondered about Kawi's Busa motored sport tourer,, looks down right fun!! On another hand,, I have DREAMS of tossing a set of saddle bags, small wind shield, set of longer bars (so I could lean back a little) on a new V-Max and head for the open desert country!!!

Best wishes on what ever you end up with!!:thumbsup:

DSCN5696.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

LOL that would be one fast Cruiser! A MC Sleeper. LOL

I was always looking at the GW and that's what I was going to buy before I landed on the Venture.

Since I bought the Venture though, my riding style has changed a lot. Just as I got the Venture dialed in! Blugh! Ya just loose so much money on a bike, I can't afford to be getting a new one every two years, I still think I will end up on a GW but I think maybe I need the FJR as a stepping stone.

Well Mike, I should share a bit here.

During our winter hiatus at Key West in 2007, I sat on an FJR at the Yamaha dealer and said to myself, "I want this, no, I need this." I was also looking at a brandy new 2005 Connie at another dealer where he was asking $200 off list for a then 3 year old piece that had sun faded from sitting in the wndow.

Needless to say, I continued riding my Honda Nighthawks until 2010 when I decided to go up to something more of a "touring model" that the lovely Barbie could ride with me. She has this beautiful Honda Ascot that is basically relegated to Key West grocery getter, so I thought this might be the answer. I bought a beautiful 1990 VR with 11K miles that has been absolutely bulletproof. However, after our first trip of 800 miles over 3 days, she decided the saddle wasn't to her liking, and hasn't ridden much with me since. I have enjoyed that big girl for over 20K miles since I have had her and still ride her when weather protection, riding with my girlfriend(granddaughter), or other situations require. The on board heat, cruise, stereo, and other amenities are really nice.

Along the way, I picked up a 2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S for a steal, and it meets my "hooligan" needs whenever the notion strikes. Many would call it a "Sport Tourer" much like the VFR and others. I have had it out on week long blasts through the mountains with soft luggage, and it is very capable.

Then.......

For some unexplained reasons, I was surfing along in Craigslist back in April, and there it was........2007 Yamaha FJR that was barely broken in. I don't know why, but I knew I had to have it. I drove to just south of Louisville 2 days later and picked it up. 7 years old and 7K miles. Yep, just enough to keep it limbered up. Now, this one is all farkled up to include a Rifle touring windscreen, an aftermarket top triple clamp that moves the bars up and back, a Pirate's Lair backrest for the pillion, and the creme de la creme Russell Day Long saddle. The cool thing about it is that the PO is exactly the same height and weight as me, so everything fits perfectly.

Now, to get to the comparison.

-The VR is definately a heavier bike, but it has the same basic riding position as the FJR. Both are comfy, but the Russell is so far beyond in comfort than anything else I have ever parked my buns on. I use an Airhawk if I am going to be on the VR for more than a couple of hours.

- I really like the ability to move the windscreen to different levels. With the Rifle all the way up, the ride is completely silent as to wind noise. It also is superb rain coverage. I have been in some pretty heavy rain and have been kept mostly dry all the way down to my legs.

- My VR is no handling or running pig. It has upgraded fork springs, a heavy fork brace, SS brake and clutch lines, upgraded brake pads, Dingy TCI, and Dingy battery cables. Of course, the driveline is fantastic in it's power delivery and flexibility. On a ride in KY a couple of years ago, MIDSRV(Dennis) pulled out of a stop on his late model GW and dropped the hammer on it. He didn't pull away from me and we run them up past 100 before lifting. The FJR?, it just rips! Power delivery is more immediate, much like the Bandit, but more refined. The pull when you roll it on is huge, and it doesn't seem to have a limit. Mine seems to like to cruise at 4000 RPM, which is 80 mph. At cruise, it delivers 45 - 46 mpg.

The FJR will out accelerate and out handle my VR, but, it is 200 pounds lighter. Touring vs SPORT touring. Last summer, I took a trip with a friend this summer on his SV650. We went from WVa through KY, TN, to NC all on back roads. We hit the top of the Dragon at 9 p.m. and tore through it as it was deserted. That trip was 2000 miles, and he was never able to shake me through any of the twisties we were on. It is a VERY capable bike.

I am planning a 6 week tour of the western US this summer, and have been debating which bike to take. I have decided to ride the FJR.

You've got me scratching that itch Dave. Thanks for taking the time to tap that out.

I was wondering about the rain coverage. I like that about the RSV compared to my Roadstar.

And I also find the Roadstar 1700 kind of laggy compared to my RSV the way your talking it's going to be the same jump then again.

Continue to follow your wants and dreams but please don't sleep on the wing. It's considered a sport bike with a trunk. It has a lower center and can keep do all the twisties and keep running like wind. The back seat may even appeal to the Mrs. The FJR is an awesome looking bike with many features. The wings are no slouch either. No matter what ya decide its a win-win. Keep us posted.

IronMike,

I think the FJR is a cool looking bike! And now that they have added cruise control to it, it makes it a viable "sport tourer". Still don't get why Kawi hasn't put a cruise control on the Concourse. However, I'm gonna throw a badoogle at ya. My cousin rode a Suzuki V-Strom for a number of years. What a wonderful bike. Heck, he and his wife rode that V-Strom 2 up all over the country. Anyway, a few years back he got the sport/tourer bug really bad. He test rode every sport tourer out there and the FJR was certainly in the mix until he test rode the BMW R1200RT. It was the game changer for him. It has been an unbelievable bike for he and his wife. They have ridden that thing 60K miles from California to Washington to Maine to Canada and tons of places in between. He loves the bike because he can unclip the trunk on it and it turns into a wonderful sport type bike that handles crazy good when he goes 1 up. A lot of the features that Yammy is just now putting on the FJR (cruise control, Electronic suspension, etc.) BMW has had them on the R1200RT for years. That means you can buy a used one that has these features and save some dough. It's just a suggestion, but I highly recommend you look at this bike. Or another real popular bike is the BMW K1200RT.

I have a 99 Venture and a 06 V-Strom. Riding with my wife two-up we will take a Venture, no question. We tried a V-Strom a couple of times and it was not the same, especially for her. Once you get "spoiled" with the back seat on the Venture it's hard to go "back" to something less comfy. I'm sure people ride two-up on a V-Strom every day and love it. Once she tried a Venture backseat that was it...

For solo riding, I will take my Vstrom almost every time - quick, nimble, easy to ride, great on twisties, excellent pickup,... It took me some adjustments to make it fit (6"3', 250lb) but now it fits like a glove. I love the combo of comfy riding position with an ability to attack the twisties almost as a sport bike. I'm too tall, too fat, and too old for a sport bike but Vstrom fits me just fine. After a couple of rides the leg position become normal, I wasn't looking for running boards any more. Somehow, it become a "new normal"....and could still go back to riding a Venture with no problem. Just different.

Now, we tried a Goldwing recently and I was very, very impressed - handling, acceleration, comfort,... Did I mention HANDLING?!? Oh man, it felt like my Vstrom, with all the features of a Venture. I believe that is the ONE bike that will be able to (one day) replace both of my bikes successfully.

And if I was to ride exclusively solo, I'm sure I would explore every sport touring option - to me, they are like a Vstrom on steroids. Comfort, but with an unbelievable acceleration and smoothness. But I'm sure my wife would stop riding with me and I don't want that AT ALL. So, I'm sure GW is in my (near) future...

Again - for solo ride I'm sure you are looking at the right bike(s). If you are planning a fair amount of a two-up, make sure you check with your passenger about the choice of the bike.

My neighbor picked up an FJR last summer. It's a great looking bike and runs like a scalded dog. When we ride the twisties together we have a deal: you go and I'll catch up with you later. I took a short ride on the bike and couldn't believe the acceleration of a bike that size.

My only concern would be the riding position. By the end of the summer, he was talking about a mod that would move the bars up one inch and back one inch. That tells me that the stock riding position could use some work. Other than that, we've done a couple of long (4 day) rides and I haven't heard a bit of whining from him.

Each post helps me think this out. Thanks a lot keep them coming if you have something to say. I wanted the BMW 1600 at one point but got on the BMW forums and a lot of pissed off people with that brand recently and I have even met a few. One guy had to buy a new bike to replace his new bike waiting for the recall to be done, the wait was 8 months to a year and it was not ride-able. If you Google their CS has a bad rap recently and leave the owners out of luck. Very slow and slow to admit problems. So I bailed on that brand, one I had admired for years. Even the Iron Butt people are pissed at them for bikes that broke on a Event run and they got passed by the Yamaha, and the Yamaha won it more than any other brand!

Each post helps me think this out. Thanks a lot keep them coming if you have something to say. I wanted the BMW 1600 at one point but got on the BMW forums and a lot of pissed off people with that brand recently and I have even met a few. One guy had to buy a new bike to replace his new bike waiting for the recall to be done, the wait was 8 months to a year and it was not ride-able. If you Google their CS has a bad rap recently and leave the owners out of luck. Very slow and slow to admit problems. So I bailed on that brand, one I had admired for years. Even the Iron Butt people are pissed at them for bikes that broke on a Event run and they got passed by the Yamaha, and the Yamaha won it more than any other brand!

Although many are VERY loyal bummer fans, I for one am not for this reason you mention and the following: who the heck can correctly fix that thing? There are far fewer dealers as well as QUALIFIED wrenchers,which I am not one of them or an electrical engineer. I would not want just anyone touching the BMW. I will say they are or at least appear to be the ultimate driving machine. About 8 years ago I had a BMW M3 convertible that was a screaming demon. But when, not if something goes, the BMW stand for Bring More Wompom....I like the electronic center stand and all the electronic windshield. A rider I know rides them everywhere and has good success. However, I can't afford to buy a bike then be stuck someplace forever waiting to get the bike fixed. Research also shows certain years and models like all others have their problems too. It's has the potential to be a deep pockets ride. Like I mentioned, they are a sweet bike...

Although many are VERY loyal bummer fans, I for one am not for this reason you mention and the following: who the heck can correctly fix that thing? There are far fewer dealers as well as QUALIFIED wrenchers,which I am not one of them or an electrical engineer. I would not want just anyone touching the BMW. I will say they are or at least appear to be the ultimate driving machine. About 8 years ago I had a BMW M3 convertible that was a screaming demon. But when, not if something goes, the BMW stand for Bring More Wompom....I like the electronic center stand and all the electronic windshield. A rider I know rides them everywhere and has good success. However, I can't afford to buy a bike then be stuck someplace forever waiting to get the bike fixed. Research also shows certain years and models like all others have their problems too. It's has the potential to be a deep pockets ride. Like I mentioned, they are a sweet bike...

Well put Mr. Cudaaaaa!! There is a Cycles Only campground up in Northern Mich called "Cycle-Moore".. Really really neat place to hang out and AWESOME riding area!!

Anyway,, every year they have a variety of Clubs come thru - NOT JUST A HARLEY PLACE!! Was up there a couple years ago and some kind of Beemer rally was happening.. I was shocked at the number of folks who I chatted with that didnt even wince while saying couple thou to fix my ABS, couple thou to straighten out some driveshaft issues... In all fairness, lots of em hanging around with over 200k miles on em, even a couple with 300k too,,, like you said,, sweet bike but not so sure about the riding on a budget side of things - price per mile can get out of hand real quickly!! And,, that having your bike sitting in a shop over the summer would NEVER fly!!!

If I had YELLOW WOLF's Recipe for GW suspension I would just do that! LOL I am really tipping on the teeter from FJR to GW. = Pros and Cons. Maybe ride the Venture another year?

if I'm not mistaken, yellow wolf has a traxxion suspension and perhaps a mod here or there. I remember reading somewhere about his bike on the GW forums. Try there to get an idea. The forward sitting after a long trip on a FJR would bother me, but that's what makes the world go round...

Let me say.............WOW! I stand corrected. After reading y'all's comments and looking at the two above vids I completely retract my BMW recommendation. I also now remember that very early on in my cousins ownership of his R1200RT the rear differential started leaking and it had to be repaired under warranty. To tell you the truth, it's really hard to beat the overall cost of owning a Japanese bike. The FJR is a gorgeous bike, but if i were you, I would buy the new one with cruise and ES. Oh, and get ya some handlebar risers. LOL. I have a feeling that bending over might get old.

Indeed Blue - some pretty interesting vids there - THANKS!!

Heyyyy,, just had a thought go ripping thru my bean,, lets encourage em to get one of those Honda F6b Wing things you guys,,, the sport bike version of a Wing!!! I dont think we have anyone on VR who owns one of them/have yet to see one on the road (dont have to add a bunch of bucks to make it "one of a kind") AND it has GOT to be worthy - being a Honda and all!!

Speaking of unique bikes,, anyone heard from Larry since he got his new ripper (probably aint shut it off since he got it home)?? Have been watching some short vids on the "tube" of people tearing it up on those babies - looks like FUN!!

I fit the profile.

I bought a new '09 FJR AE model 3 years ago and have really enjoyed it. I thought when I bought it I would sell the Venture but I still enjoy riding it and put about the same miles per year on both. 99% of my riding is 1 up and the FJR is so smooth and powerful it is just a fun bike to ride. My '09 is a 2nd Gen bike. It seems that most of the FJR riders concerns were addressed with the 3rd Gen such as cruise control, electronic suspension, ride by wire, traction control, etc. Very much unlike how Yamaha treated rider concerns on the Venture. I would definitely recommend the 3rd Gen

If I was looking to going to 1 bike and needed 2 up and trailering, a Wing would be the first thing on my mind.

Did I mention the FJR is a fun bike to ride? I agree totally with the smile on your face comment and would add that driving awards would be easy to collect. I need cruise control!!!

I bought a 2004 Kawasaki Concours several years ago which is the same type of bike as the FJR (Sport tourer). I was just getting back into riding (rusty skills) and I was 66 or so with less than normal balance. It was very top heavy and I dropped it twice. The second time I tried in vain to keep it up and pinned my right foot under it breaking my second metatarsal. Then being an old fart and sitting at a computer all day, I developed blood clots in that lower leg. I had to take blood thinners for about 4 months. Anyhow, my wife decreed that bike had to go. It took a while to sell it so I continued to ride it (when my wife wasn't around-I was working in FL) and I was liking it more and more all the time. The seat was comfy but the high position of my old legs wasn't the best for me and leaning forward wasn't that much to my liking. The 7 1/2 gallon gas tank gave it a long range and made it more top heavy. I installed a taller windshield and that combined with the rest of the fairing was great weather protection with no buffeting. I would have kept it but I had promised my wife I would sell it because she was too worried about me on that bike. An FJR is much better than the Concours but the same type. I probably would not buy one because of the sitting position, but I do like the way they look. If I was younger, I'm sure I would be interested.

Being totally honest, I would have bought a 2001 or later GW of that style when I went looking for a two up tourer but I am too cheap to pay the price. I then looked at the BMW K1200LT and the videos scared me off. I always liked the looks of the 1st gen Venture and that was what I bought. I hope to ride it many miles in the coming year! My little 85 ZN700 is a great bike for short distances and I ride it a lot around town.

As an Oh by the way, the guy who bought my 04 concours rode it a lot for a couple of months and traded it in on a new FJR!