IGNORED

Simple starter question

The 1st gen motorcycle wasn't made after 93. the 83 through 90 or 91 had a 2 brush starter that is too weak to spin the engine quickly when the engine gets warm. So a common mod is to install a later model 4 brush starter. All of the starters for the 1300 V4 engine will fit the early models. The second gen Venture was offered in 99 I believe. But, the bikes that were sold prior to 99 and after 91 with 1300cc V4s had the 4 brush starters. I bought a starter from Pinwall that came from a 96. I have not installed it yet though.

How's this for a definition:

If the oil fill is on top of the crankcase, behind the #3 cylinder, it is a 1st gen. Also no cooling fins. (86 - 93)

If the oil fill is at the top of the clutch cover it's a 2nd gen. Fake cooling fins all over it. (96 - '13)(I included the Royal Star)

The 1st gen motorcycle wasn't made after 93. the 83 through 90 or 91 had a 2 brush starter that is too weak to spin the engine quickly when the engine gets warm. So a common mod is to install a later model 4 brush starter. All of the starters for the 1300 V4 engine will fit the early models. The second gen Venture was offered in 99 I believe. But, the bikes that were sold prior to 99 and after 91 with 1300cc V4s had the 4 brush starters. I bought a starter from Pinwall that came from a 96. I have not installed it yet though.

So, if I'm looking for a 4 brush starter, I'll need to find a '91 - '99?

I just installed an '87 Venture Royale starter from ebay, unbelievable difference. The 4 brush starters don't have the phillips head screws through the sides of the case. At least the posting said it was from an '87.

Yeah, I was watching that particular auction and I noted that although the starter was described as coming from a 1987 (which from the factory had a two brush starter), that it was in fact a four brush starter. Got it cheap, too didn't you. $25 or so? The lack of the big Phillips screws was a give away and it also had SM13 cast into the end cap (another indicator of a four brush starter). The two brush starter end cap will have SM229xx cast into the end cap.

Yeah, I was watching that particular auction and I noted that although the starter was described as coming from a 1987 (which from the factory had a two brush starter), that it was in fact a four brush starter. Got it cheap, too didn't you. $25 or so? The lack of the big Phillips screws was a give away and it also had SM13 cast into the end cap (another indicator of a four brush starter). The two brush starter end cap will have SM229xx cast into the end cap.

I just looked at all starters and highlighted those without the Phillips screws. Yep, $25 plus shipping. The original was at the bottom of the waterfall the bike was parked under and basically turned to red dust when I opened it up. But I got one off an '84, paid for it, THEN found threads talking about 4-brush starters. Tried to get them to swap it for a 4-brush they had listed but they had already shipped the '84 starter. Thought it was fine till I tried to restart after stopping for gas. :sick: Reminded me of trying to start a hot '77 Cardinal RG, if any of y'all know about such things. Anyway, this baby whips it right over hot.