IGNORED

Harbor Freight lift won't lift

Midrsv

I've got one of the POS Harbor Freight air/hydraulic lifts. I used it a couple of weeks ago with no problems. Today I put the bike on it and went to lift it and it rose about an inch and wouldn't lift further. There is no sign of oil leakage anywhere. Does anyone know if there are any serviceable parts on it? Attached is a photo of the jack mechanism.

Dennis

They have 90 day warranty. Bring it back and see if they will sell you the extended warranty now, most HF stores will.

Unfortunately the lift is 5 or 6 years old. Sounding like it may become scrap metal.

Dennis

Try bleeding it before you scrap it. Also I have welded new hydraulic units on to similar set ups. Harbour Freight actually sells a lot of spare parts. if you can identify the model number call their 800 number on monday. They may have a replacement hydraulic unit for cheap.

scrap the hf hydraulic, go to a farm store and buy the biggest hydraulic jack that will fit that can be repaired. You will need to drill to fit but it's far cheaper than a new jack.

You can try a hydraulic oil for leaky jacks but it will leak again, it needs new seals.

I have the foot pump only version and had a similar problem. While it was still in warranty I wasn't really interested in dragging it back to the store. From the sound I could tell that something was stuck open and bleeding the pressure off.

Several very swift pumps of the pedal cleared the problem up.

Before that though it's a good idea to check the oil level, even if you don't see any leaks. Low oil will let it raise a bit then not go higher.

If in fact that pump has bit the dust I would certainly look at a new replacement pump. Just need to make sure it will work at that angle. Some will not work lying on side. I would give that one a bleed. I think near the ram there is a rubber plug. Pop it out and there should be fluid almost comming out of jack body if I'm not mistaken. If its not quite there you can use some ATF to top it off if you dont have any jack oil.

Dennis,

Im sure you may have thought of this but I don't think it would be that hard of a job to remove that non working hydo-pump and take it to a local hydraulic repair place

Maybe they could fix it / bleed it for you and you may be back in lift business for around 50 to 100 bucks v/s a new lift.

There are (4) hydraulic pump repair places just north of Lexington, all look like they are in the vicinity of each other on Georgetown rd (Hwy 25) out of Lexington.

Power Train appears to be a good place to try.

900 Nandino Boulevard

Lexington, KY 40511

Get directions

(800) 999-6529

or:

Applied Industrial Tech Inc

1111 Majaun Road

Lexington, KY 40511

Get directions

(859) 252-8426

Thanks Eck and everyone else. I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow. Was going to today but decided to ride instead. I plan to check the fluid and bleed it. I thought about taking the hydraulic unit off for repair at a shop. However, I'm not sure I want to invest any money in it since I don't like it that much anyway. It works but it's not too convenient to use. Even with the removable panel you can't drop the rear wheel out without jacking the rear of the bike quite high because of the cross bar at the rear. I'm more interested in a lift that is clear to the rear once the rear panel is removed. Something like this http://excel-equipment.com/motorcycle-lifts-equipment/motorcycle-atv-lifts/titan-1000d-motorcycle-lift.html

If I can get it working for just a few dollars I probably will. If not it will be replaced.

Dennis

If I can get it working for just a few dollars I probably will. If not it will be replaced.

Dang, and here I am in MS.. working...

If only I was off (like I was) and in Huntsville, you would have a visitor to take it off your hands if you decided to replace it.... :whistling:

If you do replace it you might consider THIS ONE. This is the daily work horse in my shop.

Instead of a removable panel down the center the whole tail section pulls off. That way you can grab the wheel from the side to raise and lower instead of working through a slot.

If you do replace it you might consider THIS ONE. This is the daily work horse in my shop.

Instead of a removable panel down the center the whole tail section pulls off. That way you can grab the wheel from the side to raise and lower instead of working through a slot.

Thanks, I was looking for a lift like that searched. I knew I had seen one with a removable tail section. Thanks for giving me the link. Hopefully I won't need it.

Dennis

(quote) you might consider THIS ONE.

Just my observation here, but this lift look "kind-a thin" and appears that it would need a balance brace so it would not tip over.

Maybe I am wrong, but it sure looks it to me.

HHmmmm, the specs state 24" wide. The HF site list theirs at 32" wide. You may be on to something there Eck.

Dennis

Yesterday I helped Sam work on his Silverwing (when he needed) and decided to see if I could figure out the motorcycle jack in the spare time. We also had my 5 grandsons over while the ladies went to a wedding shower (ages 2 to 10).

I undid the screw with the phillips head on it...nothing, empty. Removed the screw with the hex head and got a little bit of fluid. Put both back and decided to try it out.

Pumped it and it went up a little and nothing more. Waited a second in between pumps and it would go up each time. Soon the grandson wanted to pump and ride the jack up. Well, something must have been a little plugged inside because after all the boys had a ride and got the pump it up and down a few times, it worked just as it should.

Fun and work all at the same time. I feel a little like Tom Sawyer.:cool10:

Dave

For information,,, (if someone is looking to buy same lift new)

Today's Sunday, 3/31/13, paper has the Harbor Freight "Pittsburg" 1000 LB MC Lift coupon.

"Save $400, $299.99, Reg Price $699.99" good thru 6/2/13

Oh, and the coupon # is 47627909 .

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21230.jpg

1000 Lb. Capacity Motorcycle Lift

Pittsburgh Motorcycle

item#68892

Description: This motorcycle lift has a foot-operated pump that allows you to easily lift your motorcycles or small recreational

Edited by Mike G in SC

(quote)

Just my observation here, but this lift look "kind-a thin" and appears that it would need a balance brace so it would not tip over.

Maybe I am wrong, but it sure looks it to me.

It does. It's in the picture but because of the angle it looks like an extension of the away leg. In reality it's perpendicular to the leg and makes the footprint width about 4'. Not sure it's really necessary though, I think it's there for when the optional ATV wings are on the lift.