IGNORED

Headlight Question for 2nd Gen

kantornado

Do any of you have this light in the 5 or 6k lighting range and if so how do you like it.

http://www.motorcyclehidxenonlights.com/Yamaha-XV1300-HID-Xenon-Lights/

My driving lights are L.E.D. and very bright and make my headlight dim and look yellow

I see better with the driving lights on. So I am looking at installing a new headlight. I like the Kuryakyn phase 7 L.E.D. a friend has it on his Harley, but I cannot find any info to mount it on a Yamaha Venture. Your knowledge would be appreciated.......Ron

Ron,

If your planning on using the stock headlight housing thats on the Venture, you'll need to make sure that you get an H4 bulb kit to fit into the stock housing. I know some folks have gone and swapped out the stock glass for a different look, like an Adjure Tri Bar. It's fairly labor intensive to do that.

The 6K on the light scale is a good choice, I personally wouldn't go higher than that as I believe you'll loose a bit of brightening along the road. The kit you have in your post looks pretty nice, plug and play from what I can see. You'll just have to find a place to hide the ballast for it. I have installed a couple of the HID kits on the G2's and RSTDs and it's not a terrible thing....:2cents:

PS Give me a call if you have any questions #'s in my profile :thumbsup2:

Ron if you get the by-xeon bulb in 6oook it will give you hi and low beam and it is very bright. I have it in my RSV and love it.You will have to extend the main wire to the batt as it is not long enough, other than that it is plug and play. I also have the Kury truck lights for my driving lights,and they are just as bright and only 35 watts. At night they will light up road signs a mile away.

The 6K will probably match the color of your LEDs the best. As for lighting up the road, either the 5K or 6k will be best. You loose some light with either a higher or lower temperature color.

You definatly want to get a BI-Xenon setup. You do not want to give up Hi beam.

You will want to add a relay and a switch to be able to have the light off for starting the bike. The HID has a protection circuit that will shut off the light if the voltage drops to 9V or lower while cranking. You then have to turn the light off to reset it.

I have the 6k installed. Son ordered auto kit and put one in each bike. cheaper that way.. think he got it on amazon with free shipping for prime members and paid $60 for the entire kit, in a suitcase might I add. I like the brightness but as stated before, it is low beam only, which is fine with proper adjustment. The install was very simple, hiding the ballast was little tougher. I put mine inside fairing just under the "cigarette lighter" haha. I do not think I would do it again, because of the "fear factor". I DO NOT trust drivers coming at me at night, and the bright lite seems to hypnotize them.:think:They will run off the road into their ditch to keep away from the light and I just know one day, some dumb teenager will stare long enough to take me out. It certainly lights up the night alright, you can see the drivers coming at you and even prob count their nose hairs, :yikes: which tends to make me nervous, as I dont like those stupid zingers with blue bright lites coming at me either. Gonna make someone mad some day....Doing maintenance now and prob going back to silverstars... Just sayin....:biker::biker:

If you are blinding people that bad then your light is adjusted to high. Most people that cheap out and not get the Bi-xenon, set the beam to high to compensate for not having a hi beam. You are then effectively running hi beam all the time and blinding oncoming traffic.

Just get the correct bulb so that you can keep a hi and lo beam both aimed correctly like the bike was designed for.

Ron,

Another option for you might be to just buy another type of H4 bulb that will fit right into the headlight housing.

I installed a Sylvania Xtravision in the '83 I am riding right now. It was relatively inexpensive, I paid $11 for it but I am pretty impressed at the brightness it gives off that 1st gen (the MKI headlight is marginal at best) You might want to try that before you shell out $100 for the HID unless your dead set on it...:2cents:

Ron, I orginaly installed a Sylvania BP bulb. I forget the number but its a 80/100 bulb. Excellent light, but the down side is the more I read and guys gave me info I was asking to much of the wires to power the bulb. So I opted for the HID Bi-xenon in the color range you have listed. Works great, only down side is I can not run my headlight modulator. If you dont run one it is an excellent mod. I would however run a seperat on/off switch for the reason mentioned. The HID has a low voltage protection that shuts it off when you start the bike. So essentialy the light it turning on 2 or 3 times everytime you start it, more wear and tear on ballest. As far as hiding the goods on the RSV I found it pretty easy. I used the included little flimsy metal brackets and the screws mounting the radio goods in center of fairing, tied wires over to side and of course the realay. If you do it and need a discription of the on/off switch the one I did with some help from a member here has a flashing LED to tell you its off. Looks like the warning lite set up is courtesy Flyinfool.

Edited by djh3
add pic

As an alternative to an On-Off switch, you might want to consider this relay. I hooked one up on my Wing for my HID's and it's great. Prevents the HID's from coming on for at least 10 seconds from the time I turn the key on which gives me time to start the bike.

http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_Time_Delay_Relay-pid602.html

Here's the wiring diagram.

[ATTACH]73291[/ATTACH]

FWIW and personally I don't care but just so y'all know, HID conversion kits are illegal when installed into headlight pods not specifically designed for them. But, like I said, I don't give a crap about legalities when it comes to that kind of lighting.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Edited by SilvrT

So was my 80/100 bulb. If they got time to mess with me for that kinda crap the law enforcment guys got to much time on thier hands. (my theroy) If your not being stupid probably not going to get a second look. I do carry a OEM bulb with me, incase the HID goes south though.

If you are blinding people that bad then your light is adjusted to high. Most people that cheap out and not get the Bi-xenon, set the beam to high to compensate for not having a hi beam. You are then effectively running hi beam all the time and blinding oncoming traffic.

Just get the correct bulb so that you can keep a hi and lo beam both aimed correctly like the bike was designed for.

I've seen it quite a few times. Cars will dirft to the center because they can't see and they don't want to go off the edge of the road.(specially here in WV as there are deep drop offs.)

My rule of thumb is: if their low beams with running /fog lights are brighter than their HI beams............................ I will turn my HI beams on and leave them on till they get past.

Hopefully they will get the point and either adust their lights properly or run legal

lighting. :backinmyday:

Thanks for the info and I got allot of reading material. I am informed now. I have learned allot so far. I am not going to put a toggle switch on. If it truly is not a plug and play as I was told it will go back to the company.

I was not aware of the legality of these lights and thank you Silvrt for the info.

I will be calling on you Brad for your expertise on installing the light when I get it.

I always make sure my lights are adjusted properly, I hate being blinded and do not want to impede other drivers. I just want the road in front of me lit up at least ½ mile down the road and the edges.

If I am outside the city in the desert I want it lite up like day light.

There are allot of open range areas and wild horses, donkeys and cattle roaming out here and I do not want to hit one (a deer was bad enough)

Thanks again & keep um coming…….Ron :stickinouttounge:

Squid installed the HID headlight on my Venture over 2 years ago. I purchased the complete unit from Canadian Cruiser Customizing at a really decent price.

I love the way it lights up ALL of the road...even the ditches on the side of the road as well. On High Beam it is a real killer for on-coming traffic! I run High Beam during the day to increase my visibility to other drivers...at night I use mostly Low Beam unless I have some clown coming at me with his High Beams on. Once I hit the High Beam I assure you the on-coming clown drops his lights to Low Beam QUICK.:cool10:

Boomer....who sez cruising through Lover's Lane with the High Beam on gets ya an eyeful of all sorts of "activity"....:whistling:

I purchased the complete unit from Canadian Cruiser Customizing at a really decent price.

That's where I got my HID kit; however, just a "word to the wise". The kits are advertised as "Plug-and-Play" but such is not necessarilly the case I found. This may only be applicable to a Wing though. The Wing (at least my model) uses an H4 Wiring to H7 bulb adapter. Some of these HID kits include the adapter for the HID bulb, others don't. The stock Wing adapter won't work with the HID's. CCC's kit does not include them and they weren't even aware of it. I had to fabricate my own adapter to adapt the H4 stock wiring plug to the H7 HID bulbs. I should mention that the adapter doubles as a spacer and this is really what was necessary for the HID's to fit properly.

I got my HID kit from HID Country and it is plug and play. I did have to extend the power wire to the batt but that was no problem. Just make sure that you get the ballast as far away from the radio as you can get it or you will pick up some static from it in your head sets.

I bought a "motorcycle" specific kit and the was plenty of power lead in mine also. Not sure but my recolection the only guys that have had to add wire were ones that bought an auto kit and split it with a friend. I could be mistaken.

As an alternative to an On-Off switch, you might want to consider this relay. I hooked one up on my Wing for my HID's and it's great. Prevents the HID's from coming on for at least 10 seconds from the time I turn the key on which gives me time to start the bike.

http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_Time_Delay_Relay-pid602.html

Here's the wiring diagram.

[ATTACH]73291[/ATTACH]

FWIW and personally I don't care but just so y'all know, HID conversion kits are illegal when installed into headlight pods not specifically designed for them. But, like I said, I don't give a crap about legalities when it comes to that kind of lighting.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Damn it! If I had found this 10 second delay relay before I bought my StarBurst & 80/110 H4, I would have gotten a HID kit instead.

Argh!

JohnnyB

Thanks for the info and I got allot of reading material. I am informed now. I have learned allot so far. I am not going to put a toggle switch on. If it truly is not a plug and play as I was told it will go back to the company.

I was not aware of the legality of these lights and thank you Silvrt for the info.

I will be calling on you Brad for your expertise on installing the light when I get it.

I always make sure my lights are adjusted properly, I hate being blinded and do not want to impede other drivers. I just want the road in front of me lit up at least ½ mile down the road and the edges.

If I am outside the city in the desert I want it lite up like day light.

There are allot of open range areas and wild horses, donkeys and cattle roaming out here and I do not want to hit one (a deer was bad enough)

Thanks again & keep um coming…….Ron :stickinouttounge:

I'm really glad you posted this. There is a big difference between lighting up the edges of the road and (firing your lazers at on comming traffic and burning their pupils out) LOL

Have been kind of jealous of those with the perfect setup (looks like the sun is shining on the area ahead of them without blinding oncomming traffic...)

If, you get that look, make sure you let us know, as I will be upgrading my lighting also.

So am I correct in my thinking that if you wired up your HID kit with a relay (as well you should have) you should be able to just plug this relay in its place? Provided you ensure the wireing is done to thier spec. Definatly sounds like an option. Pretty sure I could remove my on/off switch without much trouble.

So am I correct in my thinking that if you wired up your HID kit with a relay (as well you should have) you should be able to just plug this relay in its place? Provided you ensure the wireing is done to thier spec. Definatly sounds like an option. Pretty sure I could remove my on/off switch without much trouble.

The only difference (from what I can see) with the timed-delay relay and a regular 5-pin relay is that it has a 10 second delay before it transmits the power.

When I was hooking it up, I was first using 87a & 30 but 87a is live when power is supplied. It flips over to 87 after 10 seconds so that's why you connect to 87.

For the price of them (a few bucks more than a regular relay) I figured it worth it to get one and try it.

This is correct.

BUT, you must make sure of the polarity of the connections to the time delay relay.

The original relay does not care about polarity the time delay relay does. If they did not build in polarity protection it will be fried by reverse polarity. If they did build in polarity protection it simply will not work with reverse polarity.

From their description it sounds like they are NOT protected.