IGNORED

XVZ 12 83-85 rebuild??

JC103

My father passed away a few years back and this was his bike it probably has been parked almost 7 8 years... I would love to rebuild this just because it was his and he loved to ride and so do I ... I have lots of questions... But lets start slow... First I have never rebuilt a bike... And second I have no keys so once I get the key situation handled where should I start this long road project... I know it's not going to happen over night I don't have unlimited funds but I am willing to do the work

First thing I would do even before you get a key made is make sure the engine isn't locked up take the smal round cover on the left side of the bike and make sure the motor will turn with a socket on the bolt in the center.

The manual for the bike is on line at http://labs.trunkful.com/vrmanuals/index.cfm.

If it turns over you will need to change the fluids.

THe carbs will most likely need to be pulled and cleaned and check out the diaphrams for holes and look for rust in the gas tank.

Theres a good write up on problems on a 1 gen. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066

You will most likely have to tear into the brakes. The one I rebuilt had sat for about 5 years and the brake system was full of a white gellatain " that needed to be cleaned out of everything.

When you run into some thing you can first use the search function at the top then go to the bottom of that window and use the goggle search for the key words, don't forget to change the button at the bottom to search the venture riders site.

Then if you don't find an answer post a question and this group will respond, there is a wealth of knowledge and very helpful people.

Good luck with the project and welcome to the group.

Art,

Jerry's information is spot on, all the fluids will need changing once you insure the motor isn't locked up (it more than likely wont be) Carbs being removed is a must for a bike sitting that long. New tires also and a complete tune up, plugs, caps and wires.

If you run into problems, there are plenty here to guide you through just about every stage of repairing this bike. Good luck with your project.

Art, if the bike was running when parked a little work could get you running and you will find it's one of the nicest bikes you will ever ride. Not knowing how it was parked I would change the oil, filter, plugs. . . put a new battery in, unhook the gas tank and put some fresh gas in a small tank connected up and try turning her over. You may get lucky right there. If it will run you could always seafoam her, then hit the manual and do your maintenance and inspections. Even if the tires look good change them out, I would not trust old tires.

If you do have to refresh the carbs you can always find members who live close that can lend their experience to you. Great resources and folks here and it's the best $12.00 you will ever spend . . .

Good luck and keep us posted

well my bike sat that long. when i bought it was sitting outside. they had parked it and walked away. there is alot of info on here ya might as well spend 12.00 join get a memory chip go to tec down load everything. then you will have quite a bit of info. if you have a laptop info goes everywhere with you. when ya get stumped there are tons of people to help. and if you cant find parts just ask. someone has it and will sell it. save me plenty of times.:7_6_3[1]:

Van gave you good advice. I'd do one thing first though:

Remove the spark plugs and squirt some penetrating oil in there. Let it soak over night. Then try turning the engine (with plugs still out).

That way you won't be dragging the rings over a dry bore and if they are stuck the penetrating oil will help free them.

I don't think Wiredgeorge is very far from you.He is in Mico Texas and rebuilds japanese carbs for a living.Look for him in the members list.He is quite knowlegable.

I think you will find that all you will need is a fluid change,a battery,a key, tires and a carb cleaning. And fresh gas.

Actually it's on the back and very lightly scribed. It's an SOB to read without removing the switch...which is also a PITA.... :)

The one I read was on an 86. Was etched into the side of the housing quite clearly.:confused24:

Anyhow, it's on there. Getting the switch off so you can see it is the fun part!

If it were me,,,, I would remove all the plastic, it doesn't really take all that long and then you can see and get at everything a whole lot easier and you can check for missing pieces and cracks and so repair them as you go.

The go through the whole issue, bumper to bumper so to speak.

Brakes

Carbs

Valve covers

Forks Seals

Steering head

Swing arm check and total lube

Rear Wheel check and lube, pull it right apart.

Maybe 2nd gear

New fuel

Fuel filter

All Fluids

Tires

The one I read was on an 86. Was etched into the side of the housing quite clearly.:confused24:

Anyhow, it's on there. Getting the switch off so you can see it is the fun part!

When I had to make a key for the '90VR it was lightly etched on the back. Tried to read it with a mirror, but couldn't make it out. Maybe it was an option for the 'official stamper of the day'?? :)

When I lost the key to my 83 I put it on a trailer & left it with the locksmith for a week. He got the igniton key made but it didn't work on the luggage even though 1 key fits all. Another day or so & he had 1 key that fit everything (ign, gas, bags, trunk). $75 for 3 good keys. I've never been able to remove the bags but I think the locks are just stuck.

here are a few pics of the bike...as you can see grass is growing through the bike...lol

At least your getting it for free.

I have a lot of parts you are going to need on this adventure, and I need to clean out storage area.

Speaking of ebay finds, I thought I found Tweety for sale on ebay. Have to copy & paste it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330841579536?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Gary

Wow if this works posting a link for a 83 black on E bay for $ 800.00

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Motorcycles-/6024/i.html?Type Looks like it might have a lot of your missing pieces.

Well I checked link and went to all of the HD's just select touring,Yamaha,and engine over 1000cc to narrow your search

This may work better..... VENTURE It certainly is clean...