IGNORED

Here is a question for everyone...

On my bike (96 Royal Star) I have the original exhaust and those 4 big old mufflers. Say I had a bunch of carbon deposit inside the mufflers...how would you go about cleaning or flushing them out? Could ya remove them from bike and get a few cans of carb cleaner and a air hose and go to sprayin and a blowin? Would that accomplish anything or not?

She runs pretty good to be 16 years old...I was wonderin if you could clean them out somehow. Tomorrow if the rain holds off I think I am going to remove the carbs and show them a little love...never removed them before and it is time for a good cleaning I am sure.

is it running?

is it working?

don't mess with it. close your eyes & pretend everything is wonderful.

If she "runs fine"....why are you removing the carbs????

Run some Seafoam through them and you'll be fine.

Don't go lookin' fer trouble that's not there.....you may create some new trouble in the process.:thumbsup2:

If she "runs fine"....why are you removing the carbs????

Run some Seafoam through them and you'll be fine.

Don't go lookin' fer trouble that's not there.....you may create some new trouble in the process.:thumbsup2:

If you want trouble just start doing things not needed. If you really need something to do you can take your car fuel system apart if that's not giving you any problems.

like the guy sead take it out and ride it like you stold it. if a bike is running well and is showing carbon you have to keep it burnt out. i try go out and play in the traffic at least once a week. how fast i go i am not telling .:fingers-crossed-emo

Putt-Putt I also have a 96 Royal Star, I bought mine new in 95, one of the first ones. Read my post on being frugal before you tear into those carbs, posted a couple of days ago. The guys are giving you good advice about not doing anything if it is not needed. If you do get into them, preorder all of the parts especially the float bowl O-rings. A word of warning, the 96 has the 28mm carbs and if you need diaphragms, unlike the ventures and later royals you can not replace only the rubber, the whole slide has to be replaced. The O-rings on the needle assemblies will also not be any good if you remove them for cleaning, and removing them is the only way to get to the screens on the bottom. BTW, replacing the float needle assemblies caused mine to run so much cleaner and dramatically increased MPG that I would recommend it if you are tearing into them anyway. Best of luck! :080402gudl_prv:

LOL not to hijack the post but I trailered the bike! Since I did not ride in those states, they get no color. Truth be told, I had it on the trailer to relocate once from Texas and once to and from California. no PFM, sorry. I'm pretty sure the cage with the bike in tow shouldn't count, should it? :think:

LOL not to hijack the post but I trailered the bike! Since I did not ride in those states, they get no color. Truth be told, I had it on the trailer to relocate once from Texas and once to and from California. no PFM, sorry. I'm pretty sure the cage with the bike in tow shouldn't count, should it? :think:

I'll end up with the same thing in 2013. Have to drive to NC due to the excess cargo. 3 whitewater boats and gear for 3 paddlers won't trailer well behind the bike. Plus "stuff" for a week or so.

But I am not going to NC again without my bike along. So it will go on the trailer.

I think you're right, trailering shouldn't count. LOL. BTW, what is PFM?

I did take them off the bike though. Took the carb boots off and plugged the holes and went to cleaning. Going to fix all the surface cacks in the boots, just to make them look better. Cleaning all linkage and oiling wires and springs. Doctors orders say I cant ride for 30 days untill I heal up. Now I have plenty of time to do all the nit picky stuff. Polished all the brass linkage...looks great! I cant stand to be bored...

PuttPutt, if you have surface cracks in the boots make sure you check the rubber plug covers on the vacuum ports they seem to get the cracks and tend to leak after you take them off a couple of times. Big Lenny, PFM is an old military term used to explain the unexplainable has to do with a little magic, you get the rest. :whistling:

I'm pretty sure the cage with the bike in tow shouldn't count, should it? :think:

if it's a harley you can count them!LOL!! you should have unloaded it and ran around the parking lot so you could say you rode in the state!LOL!!

on another forum we do a "techron flush" by putting a 12oz bottle of techron with a full tank of gas and run it wide open for the tankfull, keeping the rpms up and staying out of 5th gear. 1 friend had about 30k on his when we did it and after about 60 miles his 96 royal was blowing out soot and sparks out the mufflers. it was ruinning a lot better after we got back.