IGNORED

Hybrib RSV/1st Gen/Vmax project

dingy

Have made a little progress this week with winter project.

Made a stand that will be used to temporarily support frame during initial motor fitment and suspension work. It's not pretty but will only be used for this phase..

I have an old 1200 block setting in frame at this point to see where major obstacles will be in putting a 1st gen/VMax motor into the RSV frame. Motor fits the six mount points that the 1st gen uses in the 2003 RSV frame. The front head brackets will not be used. I have a set of VMax heads for this project that will be on a modified 1300 block.

I don't think a v-boost system will be possible with this setup due to the use of the RSV fuel tank & air intake components. I don't think the taller V-boost setup has a chance of fitting. Considering another option to use in place of the V-boost for that snap at about 6k rpm's.

Rear exhaust down tubes look to be usable with very little modification. Front down tubes are going to be a challenge. The front motor mount bracket will need some modification to allow the front tubes to pass bracket.

Seriously considering using a 1st gen MKII front end I have intsead of the RSV front end. The RSV unit is massive compared to a 1st gen unit. I don't have the wheels for the RSV, so I want to use a set of VMax wheels on this. The fork spread is over an inch wider than the 1st gen which would make the use of the VMax wheels improbable. I have tried the 1st gen triple tree in the RSV frame and it matches what is needed. I like the styling of the RSV fender more than the 1st gen, but It may not get used. I think I can mount the RSV handlebars & controls on the 1st gen upper tree bracket with minimal modification. I will have to set tank on frame to see if there will be a clearance issue with this change.

Bike will be a single seater with no fairing, saddle bags etc. Minimal instrumentation, no radio. Looking at a VMax instrument pod & speedometer. Have a VMax final drive for it.

Gary

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Few more pictures of parts setting on bike to help me get an idea what I have here.

Front end is from an 86 1st gen.

Wheels are from a 2005 VMax.

Major 2 hurdles are front exhaust tubes and an air cleaner setup that is a tad smaller than the RSV stock unit, shown setting on lift in couple of pictures.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

A few pictures showing RSV Hybrib project. Nothing major appearance wise has been done, just a lot of the minor, time consuming things that have to be done. Fair amount of McGyvering type things.

One of my major obstacles to getting the 1st gen motor in frame, has been addressed, at least partially. The front motor mount sub frame on the RSV is quite different than what is on a 1st gen. The 1st gen has the forward exhaust tubes down between the front wishbone structure on the frame, whereas the RSV sweeps them outboard near the upper motor mounts. There are 2 cross members on the RSV motor mount sub frame that were directly in the way of the exhaust tube path. I picked up a spare motor mount sub frame I could experiment on and ended up removing both cross tubes to get sub frame in place. Frame is setting on temporary stand a made to support bike and I can't put actual exhaust down tubes on it until I am at a point were I can remove the temporary stand. When I do get down tubes on I will weld in replacement cross bracing on sub frame. I also plan on using a couple of 1st gen mount components that will cross link wishbone more ridgedly.

I have the rear shock I got mounted on and the swing arm temporarily in place. This has brought to light another small issue. The V-Max final drive was an earlier version without the speed sensor boss on it. I won't be using speed sensor, but have found that this final drive is wider than an RSV version, so the rear axle does not protrude far enough through left side to get full engagement with nut. I have an RSV final drive coming that I will swap out gearing with to take care of this issue. Probably can sell this final drive with RSV gearing in it to one of the VMax guys.

I have all the wiring connectors identified and labeled. I won't need all the circuitry that is on the RSV, not putting cruise on for sure. The TCI wiring will need reconfigured to hook up to an Ignitech TCI. RSV has different connectors than 1st gens and additional inputs that I don't need. Clutch/neutral cutout looks like it will need to be reconfigured a little.

Motor is in cleaning up stage at this point. I am going to take upper case half to machine shop and have .040" milled off the head mounting surface to increase compression (same as Tweety).

Rear fender has had the tabs removed from it that were under the passenger seat, which will not be on this bike.

Not sure about front fender. Was going to use the RSV fender on the 1st gen forks, but that will require narrowing the RSV fender by almost 2". I can saw it down at work, and I have a friend checking with someone about re-welding it back together for me. I have the upper triple tree from the 1st gen modified to accept handlebar risers from the RSV.

Front wheel picture shows Vmax front wheel , 282mm disc that was on Tweety at one time and a 6 caliper YFZ 750 caliper in place. May do this the 1st year, then put radial brakes on like Tweety has next year.

I have an idea for the air intake system that will substantially reduce the complexity. The 1st gens are very touchy with the intakes being modified. When I put the VMax in Tweety, I found out that the airflow dynamics were much more tunable than a stock setup. My plan at this point is with the VMax configured motor going in this bike, to use two pod type filters coming out of the air box connections just above the carbs. It's a plan, and it may fail.

Even though this is a Venture, it is a very different bike than the 1st gen. Figuring out what I can adapt to this is really fun for me, something I like to do.

Oven in next to last picture is going to replace my smaller oven in garage that I use for powder coating. This is a full size, one I have now is a built in style and couple of inches narrower. With replacement unit, I can get motor block in oven and cure powder coating on block.

:mo money:

Gary

Edited by dingy
spelling

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress since last post and a couple of 'refinements'.

Biggest noticeable change is the use of a 97 Royal Star fuel tank & instrument cluster. Tank has a couple of moderate dents on right side, so I got it at a very reasonable price, also have an instrument cluster & bezel for it. Tank will be stripped and painted. Cap & petcock fit from RSV tank and I got a fuel level sender from pinwall. Mounting is similar to RSV, but will need some tweaking on front two mounts and a revised rear mount. Went this route due to my VMax instrument cluster idea was going to be fugly. I will need to relocate ignition switch due to tank change also.

I have a Royal Star final drive case, with needed sensor opening for the Royal Star instruments that I was going to put a VMax set of gears into that I have had for a while as a spare for Tweety. Turned out VMax gears had been swapped with Venture gears prior to my getting final drive. I have arranged a swap with a VMax re-builder for the needed gears.

Going to use a set of RSV valve covers instead of the VMax covers. The motor is going to be completely powder coated gloss black. With the RSV covers I can put on a set of chrome caps that will be a nice offset to the black. Pictures of covers show them with tape residue that where on them from shipping, haven't cleaned them up yet.

Swing arm has been blasted and painted with gloss epoxy spray paint. I was surprised that the swing arm would not fit in my powder coat oven due to 23" length, but the block halves will.

Upper block is at machine shop getting the head decks milled .040" to raise compression.

I have a single pick up coil & rotor that I am going to use in motor, instead of 4 pickup coil system that was in the 83-89 Ventures.

Planning on getting another Marks collector for this one, then having a short set of 2" dia. mufflers made for it with insert baffles to tone it down a little. Stock style mufflers are not going to look good on this bike due to length.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Gary,

Is the upper triple tree a First Gen part? I've been wondering if RSV style risers would bolt onto a First Gen. If it is possible, the RSV risers would allow for a much larger choice of handlebars for the First Gen.

1st gen front end is shown in pictures, but it is all or nothing as far as swapping out.

Bearings & triple tree shaft are the same, but not much else. Diameter of fork tubes is larger on 2nd gen as well as centerline spacing of tubes. 2nd gen is about 2" wider than 1st gen.

I removed the riser part from the upper tree on a 1st gen. Had to enlarge hole diameter to get 2nd gen risers to fit in upper tree.

Did this because I want a smaller, more agile front end on bike. The RSV front is probably 25 lbs heavier than 1st gen. Front tire is huge compared to a 1st gen. Works nicely on RSV, but I am after a more responsive lighter feel.

Gary

Great idea with the gas tank Gary!!! For the dent try sealing up the gas cap and run some air pressure into the tank thru the overflow along with using a pops-a-dent, it may work! It's looking good my friend!!

Really bad idea.

Very little air pressure will cause the bottom of the tank to flatten out - flairing the bottom of the sides out and putting a crease down the center of the top of the tank.

Do not ask how I know this.:whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

A small victory today. I have a rear brake configuration that will work.

Due to the RSV having a 320mm stock rear rotor, finding a suitable combination has been a challenge. I got an RSV rotor on ebay, then found out it has a very different center hole pattern than the VMax rim. Also due to the difference in the VMax rim construction, the offset wasn't close to lining up to the center of the RSV caliper setup.

I got a 1st gen MKII rotor, which is a 320mm also with a floating offset design. It is very close to being centered in caliper. Bad news is it is warped, but I am working on a refund from seller, then I will find another one.

Picture attached. Nothing bolted down yet, but this will work.

Motor is going to be stunning for a 1st gen unit. This is a teaser, more to follow.

Gary