IGNORED

Riding southern UT.

sleadhed

Howdy to all.

I am asking for suggestions. I am planning a 2 week ride with my brother next September. We have been talking about riding southern UT. for a few years. We need some suggestions for roads, lodging, eateries.... We want to include Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand canyon north, Glen canyon, Canyonlands, Arches... We plan on having to do some camping along the way. we want to avoid dirt roads.

Thanks!!

Edited by sleadhed

Riding so. Utah is a great trip. We spent a week riding part of it in June and another few days in September in Arches.

I'm not sure how your getting to southern Utah but I would start in St. George. Lots of hotels to fit most price ranges. Only 8 miles south of the gateway (Hwy 9) to get to Zions and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (300 miles approx round trip). Lots of local and national eateries.

From the North Rim you could go through Tuba City and Kayenta into southeastern Utah (Blanding etc) up to Moab where you can visit Canyonlands, Arches and Dead Horse Point State Park (not covered by the National Park Pass). Hotels in Moab can be pricy in my opinion but camping is reasonable, we usually stay at the Arch View Campground. The road up to Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands is almost across the road from the campground. There are some great restaurants and shops in Moab.

Next I'd take I70, then south to Hanksville and on to Glen Canyon. This is the about the only way in or out. To bad you can't tow a boat with you.

Hotels and eateries are limited in Hanksville. Next you could make your way back to Bryce Canyon. You can stay at Ruby's Inn. Nice hotel or campground. This is a small "town". Bryce Canyon is not a very long stop. You can visit it in just a couple hours easily. You might consider visiting Bryce's as a side trip after Zions one day. That might be the most reasonable way rather than backtracking south from I70. Hwy 12, mentioned above is right past Bryce Canyon.

Alternative - St. George, Zions, Bryce Canyon, North Rim, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point, and Arches. Hope you have a great trip and stop by SLC if you get a chance.

Dave