IGNORED

Motorcycle Crash

emsrider

Well,

It finally happened. I was involved in a motorcycle wreck. Only major damage to me is I have no palms and no hide on my left side. The really bad thing is they consider the bike totalled. The question is do I keep the bike with lower payment from the insurance or turn it over and get a new one? I will post pics when I can.

I agree had a 2011 voyager when a ass in SUV pulled across my lane at less then 30 ft at 50 mph brake lock bike side ways off brake right before hitting passager quarter over the roof bounce off the road twice and stood up woman get out off car and said you hit my car I lost it with select words that I can not say one this site she was the passager he get out and said he did not see me but the woman in the car behind him did and 3. Other people around! did walk away with leg black blue back neck wrists really hurting put no broken bones I was luck and I hope all the years I been riding help but on good note have 2012 venture second yamaha other one was a 2004 roadstar

Edited by taz2002
Miss spelled

Man, not yet another of us! This is happening tooo often!

Glad you are relatively OK, would rather hear of an accident from the member rather than the obits! Heal fast and well!!

As far as keeping the bike or not, that will have to be your personal decision. There would most likely be a lot of work and money involved to repair it, more than it is probably worth. However, depending on what's salvageable, you could always part it out and make more money than what it costs to buy from the insurance company, but parting it out is also a lot of time and work...

First lets just say that I am glad you are OK.

With regards to trying to salvage your bike. Mine was written off too in 2007 and I bought back from the insurance company and restored it. So, here are a few pointers to consider.

1. don't accept the first settlement
  2. don't go for the 1st buy back price they give you mine dropped $1000 by the time I decided to buy it back
  3. make sure the main structure is not distorted (even a small amount can affect the tracking of the bike. (I had my bike taken to my house so I was able to completely check it out before deciding)
  4. If and when you do decide to buy back your bike be prepared to invest a lot of time (and beer ) into the project.
  5. Don't cut cornors when restoring, do it right and while you have it apart take the time to do little extras like wheel bearings diff seals and anything else you can think of so you won't have to touch it again for awhile
  6. If you plan to farm it out to get someone else to do the work it most likely is not worth it because the cost will probably exceed replacing it.
  7. Lastly before deciding to buy it back find out how much time you have to make up your mind so you don't have to rush your decision (my insurance co gave me a year, not that I needed it but it gave me the time to go on vacation for a month and decide when I got back.

Edited by saddlebum

Well,

Geico will give me $6900 if I keep it and $9700 if I turn it over. The front forks are bent a little from putting the front crash bar at a 90. What happened was is the lady I was following locked her brakes up after getting cut off at 50mph. She said she did not even know a bike was behind her until I was going through the crash due to the heavily banked curve.

Talking to my local mechanic and after looking at it myself, we believe the frame would be damaged. Also, the left back hard bag is cracked along with the passenger arm rest is cracked. The whole fairing by the radiator is cracked and broken from the frame.

Glad you were able to walk away from it, but man I bet that hurts, my hands hurt just from looking at the pics...........get rid of the bike, take the money and run see if they will bump it up to an even 10 grand. Hope you recovery is fast.

Edited by DragonRider

Glad to hear you are doing ok. Keep those wounds clean all the time. You want to prevent infection. As far as your bike is concerned, as stated before, weigh your options and see how much money and effort you will have to spend in order to get your Venture back in running condition.

Heal Well.