IGNORED

i have clutch problems

the bike has 21000 mi. and after the bike set for 4 yrs i figured i would take the clutch apart and re soak them in oil i had a lot of trouble getting the disc apart looked them over quick glance and trew them in oil to soak for a couple days i put it back together and it sat for another year then i rode it around the block and sat for 2 more days i cranked it thismorning ready to go to work and reved it up full throttel and was bearlly moving any ideas i dont think i lined up the notches when i put it back together could that have something to do with it im thinking new skydoc replacement now and just cant afford that yet :confused24:

Hey Paul,

If you are talking about the Second Gen. bike, then you need the basic Second Gen. Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit I offer in the Classifieds. Even when not running, that single Clutch diaphragm Spring has been under tension for 14 years! Here's the link:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3763&title=second-genheavy-duty-clutch-spring-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

If you are talking about your First Gen. bike, then there are a set of 6 compression springs in that motor. They don't usually go bad from sitting. Aligning the "notches" on the friction discs is not mandatory. If the clutch lever pulls in, then you have the pressure plate clocked correctly. With either bike, if the clutch is slipping, then there is not enough spring tension on the steel clutch plates and clutch friction discs.

Earl

yes this is for the 2nd gen i was going to ride the RSTD to work today and never made it out of the neighborhood and im also thinking my brakes are stuck from sitting so long that when i took the first ride around the block the other day i pulled the lever and they felt like they did not want to release so i will be draining the fluid and disassembling the calipers for a closer inspection i have checked out all the stuff you sell and my wish list is very long but short on funds i will probably order the clutch spring kit at the end of this week to shorten my birthday Christ-mass anniversary gift list of i wants for the wife :whistling: :stirthepot: as for the 1st gen i rode it in today and it runs good except for the idle is to low and wants to die all the time but thats a sync thing :detective: i told my wife the more i buy the less she has to get me :confused24: i thought that would work :confused24: ill wait till shes finished being mad :225: at me before i ask though:whistling: :confused07: :rotf: :rotf:

Hey Paul,

When you get your funds right, I will be happy to help you with the Clutch Spring Upgrade.

I have attached a pic of the Idle Adjustment thumb screw on the First Gens.

With the left side cover removed, the adjustment screw is in between the two left side Carbs., facing down at a 30 degree angle. Rotate the screw clock wise to increase the idle speed. Set the RPM's to 1000 using the Tach in the dash. No tools required.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Thank you Earl for the pic i have had the left cover off once but never looked at or noticed the carb adjustment as for the funds im hoping to be able to order the clutch spring upgrade on Friday or Saturday so i can install it by Thursday of next week have a great day on your Birthday Day today :cool10::cool10::322:

• 2 weeks later...

Double check the alignment of the disks in the basket. Dollars to doughnuts one or more are not aligned correctly.

There are notches on the friction disks that need to be aligned with dots on the basket. Line them up correctly and you should be good to go.

RR

Paul,

There is also an alignment mark where the front pressure plate aligns with the clutch basket. You will see a deeper circle indent and there is a corresponding one on the tit of the retaining bolt support of the basket.

If these aren't lined up it will not work right, if you have any questions call me.

i called skydoc and spoke to him about the problem im having everything is lined up but the push rod is sticking out to far about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch so either i or a friend of mine squeezed the clutch lever while i had it apart now i have to take the clutch boss off and re align the push rod what fun i should have waited til today after work to do this with no one around oh well live and learn thanks for the advice its much appreciated and Squidley i did not get the job done untill today my daughter was looking forward to going on a road trip with me i told her we had an invitation to go out any time she smiled and said next weekend i laughed and told her the next 3 weeks is my on call weekends cant do it but i will get out there one day google maps says it 6 1/2 drive but google dont know me to well 5 hrs. its doable :whistling:

Squidley i did not get the job done until today my daughter was looking forward to going on a road trip with me i told her we had an invitation to go out any time she smiled and said next weekend i laughed and told her the next 3 weeks is my on call weekends cant do it but i will get out there one day google maps says it 6 1/2 drive but google dont know me to well 5 hrs. its doable :whistling:

The door is always open and we'll leave the lights on for y'all

:thumbsup2: