IGNORED

need help with slip ons

oldyellow

I want to get me some pipes for my RSTD (slip ons) but I don't want nothing loud like drag pipes or some high pitched sound,I'm looking something that is just a little louder than stock.I want some pipes that have a good deep throaty sound but not to loud when I'm going down the road so they don't get on my nerves when I'm on a long trip.From what I read I don't think I would want Barons,so any feed back would be great!! Thanks:confused24:

I have been casually looking for different pipes for my 2005 RSTD. I have pretty much the same requirements you have. So many are too loud for me. I have decided that when the checkbook will allow, I'll be looking for a set of Vance & Hines Monster Ovals (made for the Harley touring bikes). I've heard them on our V4 engine and like how they sound.

Good luck!

Pretty much any muffler made for the HD FLT bikes (street glide, Road King, electra glide etc) will fit. I just took of a pair of RK mufflers I had on mine. I have taken a couple of extended trips with them. I like the cruise speed sound, but dont care for the sound under power. Not terribly loud per-say but I dont car for the tone I guess it is. Sounds to I dunno hard to discribe "blappy". Dont get me wrong they sound alright, I just didnt care for it on long trips.

I have been casually looking for different pipes for my 2005 RSTD. I have pretty much the same requirements you have. So many are too loud for me. I have decided that when the checkbook will allow, I'll be looking for a set of Vance & Hines Monster Ovals (made for the Harley touring bikes). I've heard them on our V4 engine and like how they sound.

Good luck!

Just the ones I was going to suggest. Although I don't know how loud they are, comparatively, from what I've heard of them they have a beautiful deep growl to them that I love.

Some links for you to check out...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=574369&postcount=13

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=574042&postcount=4

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002009&id=285

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRN_hp_Bksc]Vance & Hines Monster Ovals on Yamaha (Star Royal Venture) - YouTube[/ame]

Monster Ovals probably would sound good, maybe just a tad loud per what you say. But list for $800.

I have Barons 4-2-2 on my RSTD, yeah loud. You don't want that,,, per what you say.

I tried a few things on my RSV to get it just above stock.

Chromewerks were way loud for me. Tried another set of Barons.

Like you, just looking for some deeper sound but no headache on a day ride.

I then picked up some older '95 (good shape) RK cans off this site. You will either need some mount adapters or some are using P-clamps now. And then some decent pipe clamps (ebay for $36) The whole setup was about $100.

Anyhow, the RK cans are good. Noticable, but not loud. But does get past the stock pipe sound of the engine. Did a 950 mile straight thru this month and ears are fine.

Mike G

I drilled out the stock pipes...too quiet still...

Then got some Road King pipes & drilled out...much better but still not what I wanted.

Then I got some Barons Bag Slash pipes...way too loud for me.

Then I got Khrome Werks pipes...right in the middle. They've got a good sound but not too loud...even my wife is ok with them!

I have LA Choppers on my rsv and they are loud and growly like a V8 race car. Again not what you are looking for i am sure but at 4:30a.m. through heavy deer country I see very few and they are usually going away from the road:) I was thinking about wrapping the baffles to see what they sound like.

so they don't make monster ovals for royal stars? the harley ones will fit ours? do they fit right up or do you have to modify them to fit?

If they only make them for Harley, they will fit at the pipe connection but you will probably have to fabricate a bracket similar to what is used for the Road King slash-cut pipes. I'm pretty sure that any muffler designed for the Harley baggers (Electra, Road Glide, Road King, etc) will fit to the Yamaha pipe.

Love the sound on the Monster Ovals but I think they might be too loud for long trips?? Thanks for this!!

so they don't make monster ovals for royal stars? the harley ones will fit ours? do they fit right up or do you have to modify them to fit?

The bike in the above video is an RSV so they definitely will fit on the Royal Star family. You will need a mounting bracket though.

I had Bubs on my RSV and I liked them very much they were just a little louder then stock but settled down nicely out on the road.Even my wife liked them:cool10:

+12, Bubs are juuuuust right!

As long as you can keep the packing in. I use a single rap of SS screen (26 mesh) to keep it in. :080402gudl_prv:

• 3 weeks later...

I had a set of the Bub's slip-ons on my other Venture, loved the sound with the packing removed, but HATED the peeling tips. I bought a set of Road King take-offs and used an 1-7/8" hole saw to gut the baffle plugs. They sounded better the more I rode as the packing burned out more, they were somewhere in sound between stock and the Bub's. If you use any type/brand of Harley-mount muffler you'll need to fab some brackets like those in the second link above. I'm looking at doing another H/D set this winter, along with some sort of air cleaner mod, probably the round K&N's.

I want to get me some pipes for my RSTD (slip ons) but I don't want nothing loud like drag pipes or some high pitched sound,I'm looking something that is just a little louder than stock.I want some pipes that have a good deep throaty sound but not to loud when I'm going down the road so they don't get on my nerves when I'm on a long trip.From what I read I don't think I would want Barons,so any feed back would be great!! Thanks:confused24:

I have the baron with the slash cut tips. They are loud enough for others to notice while riding, more so when accelerating... but not nearly as loud as my friend's Fat Boy... I decided I didn't like following her. Too obnoxious to follow. My bike has a comforting amount of noise when riding... nice to know when I accelerate that other drivers would hear me. Otherwise, I can still hear my radio with my half helmet or full helmet without face shield. I can hear radio and intercom just fine with my modular helmet and shield using my head set...

Good luck...