IGNORED

CB for a first gen

BuddyRich

These first gens we ride range from 19 to almost 30 years old. Great bikes that have more than out lived their engineers most likely.

But. Why would any one pay $85 for a 20 to 30 year old radio that has far out lived it's expected use life. Replacing a 20 to 30 year old radio with a similar 20 to 30 year old radio and paying twice over what a new midland 40 channel cb with a warranty costs is ... well, stupid. The radios on ebay are $10 radios. Most of the parts we find out there for our 19 to 30 year old bikes are way over priced as well.

When these great old bikes shed too many things, become safety concerns or break stuff that is nice to have or just plain wear out beyond normal maintenance items such as brakes and fluids and such, it is time to put the poor old things down. The used part market for first gens is a major rip off.

I just don't understand it.

There still are lots of good parts out there even some old stock OEM. You are right about one thing, some people want way to much for old used parts, but I would rather my bike be factory original equip. than aftermarket. I would rather have my 83 than a new 2nd Gen.

These first gens we ride range from 19 to almost 30 years old. Great bikes that have more than out lived their engineers most likely.

But. Why would any one pay $85 for a 20 to 30 year old radio that has far out lived it's expected use life. Replacing a 20 to 30 year old radio with a similar 20 to 30 year old radio and paying twice over what a new midland 40 channel cb with a warranty costs is ... well, stupid. The radios on ebay are $10 radios. Most of the parts we find out there for our 19 to 30 year old bikes are way over priced as well.

When these great old bikes shed too many things, become safety concerns or break stuff that is nice to have or just plain wear out beyond normal maintenance items such as brakes and fluids and such, it is time to put the poor old things down. The used part market for first gens is a major rip off.

I just don't understand it.

I have only seen one like that before, and it was on the ugly bike that Muffin bought from a member here in Ga. I dont remember it working to well, I was thinking at the time that it was an aftermarket CB for the Venture.

That's kinda what I was afraid of. Heres a pic of one out of an 83 I found on ebay.

That is an aftermarket CB not the Yamaha unit.There was a good market for those back in the day as a CB was not standard until 87 or 88 and Yamaha was real proud of their unit.Not sure but I don't think there was any difference in the factory units from 83 to 93. I did put an 86 CB in my 83 and it worked ok.