IGNORED

LED Accent Lights '89 VR

gwashorn

I am wanting to add some LED accent lights to my '89 VR. I have read through the threads, online searches etc. What I am looking for is ideas of where to place them. I know I want under carriage ground effects but also how to best show of the lines of the VR around the engine and front etc. I plan on taking out my damaged side panel vents and replacing with clear lexan and the light the engine. My bike is the pearl white version and want to go with blue. What other areas do others highlight? I have not found many pictures of other VRs.

Also, recommendations on the LED types, wattage etc. Thanks.

Gary

LEDs take very little energy so you can add a million of them.

Also blue are reserved for cops so that may be a problem in your state, check with the locals or use red or purple or call the blue, purple when stopped :whistling:

placement is ..... try it and see how it looks......... everybody is different!

:missingtooth:

I put a set of these( http://www.plasmaled.com/motorcycle_LED_lights.html)in blue on my black '99 and it looks very good. I bought the basic kit and ordered 4 more of the 5 light pod. I put 1 of the 4 light pods on the bottom of each front turn signal bar so shines down the fork on to the side of front wheel and then a spot on the ground. I put 2 of the 5 light pods on inside of gas tank on both sides shining down on the heads, 2 of the 4 light pods on frame behind engine shining forward, the other 4 - 5 light pods on the fender behind bags each side and under trunk shining down on rear fender, i used some electrical sealer tape to mount mine but you could get some 3M double sided tape at Lowes or somewhere to do the same thing. You'll have to add some wire to lengthen them, i soldered and used heat shrink tubing and covered it all with wire loom to help protect it. I think counting lights and extra wire, ect, i have about 95 to 100 bucks in mine. There's a guy at a local resturaunt bike night that charges 300 to do about half of what i've done, my buddy about died when he saw mine, (his brother paid the 300), needless to say his Ultra is well lit now for about 75 dollars. These big v4 engines really light up well, more surface area of chrome. The best part is it lights up the ground around the bike, pretty much the whole lane of the road. Don't know about laws where you are, but no police in Ky. have bothered me for having blue on mine. There are some pics of mine in my profile, let me know if can be of any help, Mike.

Thanks and understand the Texas Laws here fine. Looking to just add some accent to stand out at night as I ride and to just look cool. Looking for pics of other VRs that have accents. I think I know where to put most of the ones I want. Just looking for confirmation I think. Hope to get this done next month so looking now for the ideas and good products that people here have used and like. thanks

Gary

• 5 months later...

OK, got the bike back last week with a new clutch and ready to start adding the Lizard Lights which I know I will have to add an additional pack. But before I do, I want to put the first set on to see what else to buy and add. I know I will need extra wires to reach to the back etc. Taking out the panel vents to show the engine. Anyone have pics of their 83-93 Ventures showing where they put their lights? Curious about the right way to do the front wheel. thanks

I have not seen a 1st gen that is well lit yet, so I am flying as blind as you are.

I have over 1,000 LEDs sitting in a box looking for a home.

I already have 168 LEDs on the back and I haven't even started yet.

The LEOs around here are real picky about lights, so I will have "mostly" red on the back half of the bike and "mostly" yellow on the front half.

Thanks a lot and I appreciate the photo with the lights. Mine is an '89 White. I am removing my black vent panels and vent frame to expose the engine more. I see mods done to yours exposing a lot more. I will keep all my fairing. I am using blue as the regular color to offset all the red I have. None shining out, just to accent the engine and highlight the bike edges etc. I am wanting to shine into the front wheel if I can. Not sure where to mount for those. I like the under rear trunk shining on the side bags. I assume two lights on each side for the engine. I have heard some accent the radiator but I have not looked at that yet to decide. I am using the Kuryakyn Lizards. Still have to get switch for it to to mount with others. Much appreciated for the ideas.

attachment.php?attachmentid=74445&stc=1&d=1362330482

• 2 weeks later...

Well, started to do the LED Kuryakyn Lizards today and darn it the controller does not work. Plug in the light and they come on fine full white and bright. Controller won't turn them off, change colors or from steady to flashing... NOTHING. So have to call them up and get another one. Hope it ain't a hassle. Was looking forward to posting some pics of it tonight. Maybe next weekend. Did get the windshield cut down though.

Well, talked to Kuryakyn and they said yes, they have had a few do that, LED lights and nothing else works. They said to go back to my supplier, Power Sport Superstore for replacement. Called them and got it OKed for return so waiting on RMA label, will send controller back and get a new one. then I can try again to put them on.

Less, I have become fond of the white color schemes. Had two of the gold ones on the 83 and 84, then the next one was the burgandy and now the white. I think the Blue will look nice on the white so long as I don't make it look like a police bike. Otherwise, I can change the colors. should reflect nice on the white too and since I have so much chrome it can setup a few lights there as well. right now highlighting the front wheel, engine and down light to the road on the back. Course, have to check it out in the dark and post pics here I assume to get opinions and changes. thanks.