IGNORED

83 antenna replacement

I am want to replace the antenna. It has a cb antenna on it(its big and white) and want to put one like on the goldwings. ive look at a goldwing today and it looks like i will have to change the mount and the cable. my bike does not have a cb. and it has a jvc cassett radio. i am wanting to replace it to. any pointers are leads would be great.

sounds like you have a fiberglass CB antenna. BUT the 1100/ 1200 goldwing antenna kit does not fit good on our 1300s because the assy. actually goes "low" and will scratch the saddlebag lid. For our 1200s it's not an issue. If you have standard antenna bracket to the under trunk bracket...then you just need an antenna. there is an aftermarket company that sells them gor GL1200 and 1100s. Need to look around on the internet. DO NOT get a Goldwing 1500 or 1800 antenna.

I dont know what the goldwings antennas look like, if you have a pic that might help. If you dont have a CB you probably find a regualr auto radio antenna cheaper. My 85 doesnt have CB and I wanted a shorter antenna, so I just went to a local version of Harbor freight and bought a 12 inch rubber coat antenna for about 10 buvks. My radio has a very slightly smaller range than before, but its really not noticeably worse than the 5ft high one that Yamaha had on there before.

Unless you plan on adding a CB radio to your bike, the antenna is not as critical.

Where the size of the antenna becomes most important is when transmitting with the CB. Find the antenna you want and the mount, and for AM/FM reception, it should work.

Dave