IGNORED

Little bracket in front of fairing

Just reassembling my '86 VR and have a stupid question about the little bracket located beneath the front of the fairing. This bracket has a grommet on each end that appears to slide up over two pins protruding from the bottom of the headlight assembly. My problem is this: I hang the left side of the fairing on the bike, and all the mounting holes line up perfectly. All, that is, except this little bracket. Per the shop manual, there is a screw on each fairing half that secures to the fairing. It appears that the grommet on each side should slide up and over the headlight "pin". I have tried assembling it with and without the bracket attached to the fairing and either way, it doesn't fit. It's missing alignment with the headlight pins by almost 1/2"...maybe more like 3/8". Strange as it may seem, the fairing will not "stretch" enough to compensate for this. Does the headlight have to come off in order to get everything to align, and then reinstall the headlight bucket? Or am I somehow just assembling something in the wrong order? The bracket will only go on one way, unless I'm missing something. Has me baffled!:confused24:

Which way is it not aligning, front to back or side to side? The headlight bucket has a spring like action due to the headlight adjuster having a spring on it. If it is a front to back misalignment you may try to crank your adjuster CCW a few turns, but keep track of how many turns, or just press the headlight in to get the tabs to align...

it's the front to back alignment that i'm having problems with. i have pushed the bottom of the headlight back to attempt an alignment that way. maybe i just have to push it back further, which would mean pointing the headlight down with the adjuster, i think. the pins themselves seem to line up but it's as if the fairing (especially the left side) is mounted too far back. if i were able to move it forward, all the alignment on the other attaching points would be lost. it's a very tight fit as it is, and i'm concerned about breaking the outer shell of the fairing, which would be an even bigger problem.

The adjuster spring is fighting you.

Remove the headlamp assembly and install the fairing halves and the bracket. Set the tabs on the bottom of the headlamp assembly into the grommets and push the top of the headlamp back until you can reinstall the screws.

Jack,

The headlight assembly on your '86 is a rigid mount, meaning that the casing doesn't move, the reflector inside the housing is what is adjusted. There is no right to left adjustment, the housing is centered in the fairing. Sometimes it's a bit of a bear to get the pegs in the bottom and tweak the upper bolt ears behind the fairing and into place.

You have to push with a decent amount of force to seat the top posts as the spring inside the reflector is pushing against you. Now that this is clear as mud, do you have another question :confused24:

And I believe that procedure will work, except the left grommet is so deteriorated (almost in 2 pieces) that the "pin" pops out of it every time I tighten up the top screws. Strange that the right side grommet is still in pretty good shape. I'm gonna try to locate a grommet that will fit at a local hardware store, but it will more than likely have to be ordered from Yamaha, assuming it's even still available! Haven't checked Bike Bandit yet for availability.Thanks to everyone for the responses!! Now I just have to come up with the part!!!:fingers-crossed-emo