IGNORED

Question on front fairing rubber mounts

tomephil

It looks like my rubber mounts on my handle bars supporting my fairing is toast. The whole fairing and windshield has started moving too much on rough roads.

I think this may have been causing my windshield problems.

As i am on the road i need a road fix for these things.

Yesterday i cut some tie wraps and pushed them between the handle bars to use as spacers. This seems to help but here is my question.

Is this a good thing to do or am i creating more damage? I am going to try to find a better spacer that i can slip around the whole handle bar.

What do others do for this?

Thanks,

Tom

Are you sure the inner fairing is tight ? There are 4 nuts that hold it on.

You could slip some thin rubber shims between the rubbers and inner fairing. Or between the handlebars and the rubber.This may not be possible without either loosening the inner fairing or handlebars.

Are you sure the inner fairing is tight ? There are 4 nuts that hold it on.

You could slip some thin rubber shims between the rubbers and inner fairing. Or between the handlebars and the rubber.This may not be possible without either loosening the inner fairing or handlebars.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the advice.

I pulled the front of the fairing off but i cant get at the 2 nuts i can see. Everything seems tight when i tried to move the inner fairing. I picked up some plastic applicators. They are tapered and have some flex and i was able to push them between the rubber mount and the handle bars. It seems better for now. I'm in a windy campground with limited tools so that may be the best i can do. I am also going to try get a mechanic at a local dealership to look at it as... It is really starting to get to me....

I have no idea what is normal or abnormal with these 2nd gens.

Tom

You need an extension, swivel and 12mm socket to get at those nuts. Some of what you are hearing could be because the tabs that secure the ends of the windshield bracket are broken, there are several different ways to fix that, lots of info on the board for those repairs.

I hope your vacation is going well in spite of the annoyances.

You need an extension, swivel and 12mm socket to get at those nuts. Some of what you are hearing could be because the tabs that secure the ends of the windshield bracket are broken, there are several different ways to fix that, lots of info on the board for those repairs.

I hope your vacation is going well in spite of the annoyances.

Craig and i put in some supports for the broken end tabs. I am going to try taking to a yamie dealer mechanic as i have no idea what is normal on this bike. If this gives the 1st genners an opening, i can't argue too much...

As i write this i am having a carbonated beverage looking out on louisbourg harbour and that's cool.

Take care,

Hey, i don't see too many pontoon boats out there?

Do you have a set of the set back risers on it? If so the rubber bushings dont support anything. Mine rattled like crazy before a member here set me up with bumper supports for them.

I have no idea. I bought the bike last fall just before winter and seem to be fixing parts a lot. I am going to try to get to a mechenic tomorrow as i am a 1st genner who doesn't understand any logic on the 2nd gens. I hope the tech can tell me how what is normal or not on the 2nd gens.

Well I just posted the same question but Dion beat me to the draw, so I deleted the post. If the risers were installed beneath the handlebars and the rubber dampeners were not relocated then the fairing will shake like crazy. You may have to purchase some type of foam rubber to wedge in between the fairing and the handlebars to absorb the bouncing of the fairing, at least until you get back home. One other option is to remove the risers until you get back. All this is moot if you don't have the risers installed in the first place. Can you post a pic of the handlebar mounts??That way we can see if the risers are in there.

Well I just posted the same question but Dion beat me to the draw, so I deleted the post. If the risers were installed beneath the handlebars and the rubber dampeners were not relocated then the fairing will shake like crazy. You may have to purchase some type of foam rubber to wedge in between the fairing and the handlebars to absorb the bouncing of the fairing, at least until you get back home. One other option is to remove the risers until you get back. All this is moot if you don't have the risers installed in the first place. Can you post a pic of the handlebar mounts??That way we can see if the risers are in there.

If I remember correctly Tom does not have risers on his bike. I do and had to do THIS SEE POST #24

Tom

Go to canadian tire and buy a couple foam rubber hockey pucks and stuff them in there. That might help. They might be dense enough to do the job.

Also what are your front forks set at! It shouldnt be anything over 7 lbs. Use hand pump not air hose pump on those forks.

Sorry to say most of the dealers dont know much about these bikes either!

Go to the assistance page on the site and see if anyone is near your area that could lend a hand.

Tom

Go to canadian tire and buy a couple foam rubber hockey pucks and stuff them in there. That might help. They might be dense enough to do the job.

Also what are your front forks set at! It shouldnt be anything over 7 lbs. Use hand pump not air hose pump on those forks.

Sorry to say most of the dealers dont know much about these bikes either!

Go to the assistance page on the site and see if anyone is near your area that could lend a hand.

Hey Sarge,

I installed a rubber spacer between the handle bars and the rubber mounts. Didnt think of the hockey, sponngy puck. Very canadian eh!

It seems to work for now. I took my bike into a dealer in Sidney. Great people but not much experience with ventures. I picked up a HD shock hand pump for the front shocks so will adjust when i get a chance. We are on a Newfoundland farry heading to the rock right now and they wont let me get to my bike.