Your supposed to check the oil level with the bike standing up on a level surface, correct? IE not sitting on the kick stand?

My bad but I'm checking the oil for the first time since buying the bike last week from the sealership. Either the stealership or the PO WAY overfilled the oil. I can't see the top oil level unless she's sitting on her kick stand!

I was nearly sure that's what the manual said. I wonder if she'll run any better after a oil change with the proper amount of oil in it ...

If it was THAT much over full, your air box under the fuel tank is probably "full" as well. :shock3:

If it was THAT much over full, your air box under the fuel tank is probably "full" as well.

It was over full enough to the point that the bike had to be on it's kick stand before I could see the oil level in the window. It's got the correct amount of oil in it now.

So what's the trick to getting the stupid "quick connect" off so I could get the cowling off so I can get at the air filter?

There's two ways, but I found it easier to take the lower fairing off to easily get access to the bolts that holds the filter cover on. Once you remove those bolts the filter assembly comes right off. You don't have to try to undo the clamps on the rear.

Half full in the sight glass, with these engines, is the rule if you don't want to get blow back into the air plenum. Yes, the engine deposits the oil in the plenum under the tank.

Overfill usually will manifest itself as oil deposits (first oil deposits then road grime sticks to the oil) on the back left cylinder between the V but usually it has to be overfilled for awhile before that shows up.

I usually just drain some oil out until it gets to the correct level. Lots of guys say you can't do that with the drain plug but I seem to be very adept at being able to drain just a little out. The other option... change the oil and only fill it half way up the sight glass. :Bunny:

For next time,,, go buy a mechanics mirror (mirror on a stick). Like $7.

That and maybe a flashlight will let you sit on it level and point the mirror and flashlight to see the window. Else get someone else to look while you hold it level.

Mirror is best,,, then YOU know.

That and maybe a flashlight will let you sit on it level and point the mirror and flashlight to see the window. Else get someone else to look while you hold it level.

That's how I do it! :thumbsup2:

It wasn't me that overfilled it, it was the PO. I know better. I usually have the wife hold the bike upright while I check the window. Then I hold the bike upright and have her check it, so she knows where it should be at.