IGNORED

Need opinions on 1984 1200 venture

I'm new here so please bare with me... I'm looking at a 1984 venture 1200 .He is wanting 1100.00 for it.. Here is what he has told me : It has 33,000 miles on it , the air suspension is fully functional , has all body pieces except for passenger foot rests .. tires have less than 100 miles on them ... It needs a new front caliper and pads , clutch slave cylinder , carbs need to be cleaned/tuned to run properly... He said it hasn't ran since last November.

I have never worked on a motorcycle except for routine maintenance (2007 v-max)..

I have work on my own cars since I was 16 I'm 43 now. So I do have some mechanical ability..

So are these parts very expensive? Would they be hard to replace ? Is it something that can be done without specialty tools?

All opinion and responses welcome . Thanks chuck

Welcome Chuck,

The parts aren't "expensive" compared to other bikes. There are used parts available, in fact I might have a front caliper available this weekend if an 83 is the same one. The amount of information available here is more than you can find at a stealership. These bikes are pretty easy to work on. Check the tech section for specific "how to's" ..or in my case..how not to..

Oh yea.. and you might want to buy BigTom a banana split....:cool10:

Welcome to the site!!

The parts are still available. Caliper can probably be rebuilt and kits (either Yamaha or aftermarket) are readily available at a dealer or online.

Kits are also available to rebuild the clutch slave.

The passenger pegs come up on eBay all the time but someone here might have a set. I removed mine and put a set of floor boards from a MkII on mine. I think I already gave away the old pegs though.

Seafoam may do wonders for the carbs but worse case scenario is take them apart and clean them. Check the diaphrams for holes and then get them synched.

Over all that is very low miles for an 84 and if she is in good cosmetic shape then well worth putting some time into.

Mine is an 84 and I love the ride.

The only big issue that may come up at some future point is 2nd gear but there is not enough miles on it yet for that to be showing up.

Again welcome to the site.. Hang around for awhile I know you will like it here...

Sounds like a deal at $1100, if everything is true from previous owner. I bought my 83

two years ago. I paid $1500 for a complete bike, meaning all bags and plastic were there, no major damage, it needed tires, the second gear repair, and some oil leaks fixed. My bike ran

pretty good, but after I sync'd the carbs, it ran really good!!! I did the repairs myself, in my garage, with basic tools, some beer, some band-aids, some choice 4 letter words at times, and a couple extra hands, once in a while. If you've owned a VMAX, then you know the power this bike is capable of, and what fun it is. Now, imagine the same, almost, power with a nice ride, radio, (if it has one), wind cover, and a confortable seat for your favorite passenger. I say the bike your looking at, sounds like a decent deal. People on this site are unbelievably helpful and the knowledge base is incredible. There is not a single problem with these bikes that someone has not already run into, and conquered. Keep us posted on your bike, if you buy it.

Thanks for the replies ..

I'm going to investigate this bike a little more ...

wizard: I have only seen pictures of the bike the guy sent to me ... Cosmetic's of bike seems to be okay . Maybe some painting needed... but it is 28 years young so that should be expected . I do have accessed to a synchronize.. (but I have never used one ) ... In the picture that is what the mileage read on the odometer..???

I guess I'm Leary of is buying a non running bike and finding out there is major issue with engine ...

I'm hoping to go see it in a day or two .. Is there any thing that I should look for when I go see it in person ??????

OK for the most part these engines are bulletproof. There have been owners who have gotten over 200,000 miles on them. All tyhe brake parts are the same for '83 - '85, and the master cylinders can be replaced with '86 to '93 as well. The clutch slave cylinder is the same for all years, and is easy to replace except it can be tricky to get out as it has to be wiggled, turned, and twisted in a praticular order to get it to fall out. Rebuilding your carbs is going to be the most expensive and time consuming part. To do it properly plan on spending $300 or so when all is said and done. There is an excellent step by step video out there to do it properly. The biggest problem with them is pin holes in the diaphragms, asnd plugged jets in the idle circuit. There is a set procedure for syncing the carbs and you have to monitor all 4 vacuums at the same time. There are several members proficient at this procedure that will be gladto help you out.

If you can just plain get it running, you may want to use a product called seafoam on the carbs. You can buy seafoam at wally world or auto zone. You may want to flush and red cote your gas tank too. New plugs and wires are a good bet too, but do not instasll new plugs until you drown your carbs with seafoam and let them soak for a day and then restart it. The seafoam will loosen up a lot of gunk and foul out the plugs.

These bikes are terriffic to ride when running right, but with any used bike, require a little TLC to keep them happy. You will find a ton of technical information here as well as helpful members! Welcome aboard!

• Like 1