IGNORED

Gotta trailer a bike and have questions

Beau-Kat

Hey y'all.

I'm going to have to trailer a bike to PA. I'll drop the tow vehicle and the open uhaul trailer at my daughter's and ride the bike back to SC.

I do have my own enclosed 6X12 that I've used to take the bike camping occasionally. We remove the bike and camp in the trailer. Anyway, I can't use it becasue I can't leave it in PA.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows if I can trailer either my Millenium or my Royale in a 5X9 trailer with the ramp. I think the overall length of my MM is 104", but don't know if it would fit in the trailer due to the tall ramp sticking up and possible hitting the trunk.

I think the Royale may be a bit shorter and an easier fit for the 9' trailer, but haven't measured that bike and am not home right now to do that.

Uhaul does have an open 6X12 trailer and even an open motorcycle specific trailer with ramp and chock, but neither are available in my area.

I've thought about maybe loading the bike diagonally, but still think that tall ramp would possibly be a problem for the bike's trunk.

I need to leave here Monday, so don't have a lot of time to consider options.

O.K., please chime in with any ideas.

Thanks.

Rusty

Guest tx2sturgis

Could you rig up some kind of extensions so when the ramp is up its slightly leaning back but still locked?

Thats just in case there is a clearance issue between the ramp and the trunk.

Could you rig up some kind of extensions so when the ramp is up its slightly leaning back but still locked?

Thats just in case there is a clearance issue between the ramp and the trunk.

That's what I was thinking too, but I didn't know what to use. I got a garage full of stuff, so I should be able to find something that would hold the ramp in place for 800 miles.

Thanks.

Rusty

If you are talking about a U-Haul 5'x9' yes you can. The tail gate gas two different pin locations to lock it up and you will need to use the back one which allows the gate to lean back a little. I have hualed my MM RSV in them a couple of times.

Thanks Rick.

That sounds great! Just what kind of info I was looking for.

I guess the Uhaul guys really do have a little experience in hauling stuff (Ha!), so they designed the two ramp pin points for folks like us.

My RSV has only been on a trailer once that I know of. That was the day I bought it from a guy in NC and trailer it home.

That was in 2002 and my son was too young to ride or drive at the time. So we had to take the truck and trailer to pick up the bike.

Rusty

i brought my 84 venture home on a uhaul 5x9 with room to spare...

Thanks.

I guess that answers the part of my question concerning trailering my 1988 in the 5X9. I bought it in Indiana and brought it home in my 6X12 enclosed trailer.

I'll probably take that bike anyway, since it only has 19,000 miles on it and I need to stretch its legs on a trip.

Rusty

Guest Rev'n Ahead

@Red Rider... bought it, had no plates, no insurance, and it was the middle of winter - actually the middle of a snow storm... so I did have to trailer the Venture... yes, true that.

@Red Rider... bought it' date=' had no plates, no insurance, and it was the middle of winter - actually the middle of a snow storm... so I did have to trailer the Venture... yes, true that.[/quote']

You are forgiven - just this time. Put on the knobbies and power thru that snow in the future.:stickpoke:

RR