IGNORED

RSTD Slip-On Pipes

Hi ALL,

New to the site & just gettin' my feet wet. Maybe somebody has experience or knowledge - I'm sure it's been discusssed many times....

Somebackground, I have an 08 RSTD that I bought a year ago (only 6k on it) and have since put 4k on. Love this bike's build quality & ride!! I've owned muscle bikes, dual-sports, c-rockets, standards and I've finally come around to a keeper. No problems at all except the occasional gear whine (?) Not sure I first thought it might be wind noise whistling through the fairing or something. Not a bid deal to me- unless it's an issue for down the road and I ought to have it repaired while under warranty. Any thoughts?

About the pipes. I just installed a set of LA Chopper oval bagger slip-on pipes. Sound great!!! I'm getting some backfire on decel. with hard throttle- not so bad under smooth throttle. I've called some local shops & get mixed opinions- most want to install a jet kit (quoted over 600. ?!?) or do a carb air/fuel adjustment. I've even been told jet kits are not available by some shops. I researched and found a jet kit by "Factory Pro" (#CRB-y92-1.0) that is advertised as a drop-in stage 1 kit requiring no drilling of the slides. Sounds good to me....Anybody ever put one of these in or know of them? I ordered it today so I'm going to look for somebody to install. Also, installed K&N filters as well.

Any advice or opinions would be great!

Ridin' On:cool10:

RSTAR08

Installing those or any other aftermarket mufflers "may" throw the carb sync out. It doesn't take much to re-sync them. Get yourself a carb sync tool (under $100) and do it yourself (takes max 15 min) or hook up with a member here that has one.

Normally aftermarket mufflers don't require a re-jetting of the carbs.

Another thing you might want to try is plugging the AIS system. There is info/instructions here on the site for that.

I've had 2 of these bikes with a little backfiring, pluged or got rid of AIS and no more.

Heck drive to my place and I'll rejet it for free. Lynchburg, VA. Might be someone closer that could help though.

That carb kit is probably for the older Royal Stars, with the 28mm carbs instead of the newer 32mm carbs that your bike has on it.

The carbs come out of the factory no where near where the floats are supposed to be set. With the factory pipes, the backfires were muffled.

You do not need to rejet the carbs.

Plugging or bypassing the AIS does not cure the problem, it just covers up the symptoms.

SilvrT- It may be a good reason to go out and get the carb sync. tool. The manuf. only recomended air/fuel adjustments but I'll have to look into the AIS option.

Ace50- That's nice of you to offer, I'll try a few options and might just take you up on the offer. I noticed some slight "back popping" or occasional backfires prior to the pipe install so maybe that AIS is the first option I should try.

flb_78- I'll keep you posted on how that kit comes set up (28 vs 32mm)- It was a decent price so I figured as a worse case scenario I could use it in the future if I change the exhaust system out. So, what in your opinion is the remedy for the backfiring? A carb rebuild?

Thanks guys for your input, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!:detective:

So, what in your opinion is the remedy for the backfiring?

You might also want to check for a good seal at the joint where the muffler clamps to the pipe. If it's sucking any air, it could contribute to the backfiring.

FWIW, I noticed a lot more "popping" going on when I installed the Road King as well as the Khromewerks mufflers on a decel but put the stockers back on and it ain't as noticeable. And that's even after syncing the carbs and plugging the AIS so, unless it's a real bad back fire and not just some popping, there may not really be anything wrong.

Reshired- Yeah, it's all part of the experience I suppose. I guess that's what it's all about everyone enjoying their own experience.

All- To all you guys that tuned in I decided to have the jet kit installed ("Factoy Pro", stage 1, cbr-92y-1.0). After reading about how these bikes are lean from the factory I figured rejetting the carbs would be a good thing all around. I'm curious to see how it affects performance in general. Even if I go back to stock pipes at some point it should still be an improvement over the factory tuning.

I found a local shop to do the jet kit install (quoted around 200 bucks so I figured that was reasonable enough). I'll post an update on performance/results next week when it's done.

Ridin' On....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought an 2006 RSTD with under 7000 miles about three weeks ago. It has Bub slip-ons and the popping. I'm interested in the results of installation of the jet kit as well.

I would like to get rid of the popping if possible, but I can live with it as long as it doesn't hurt the bike or become full on back firing. The sound of the Bub's is perfect and I don't want to re-install the stock pipes.

• 2 weeks later...

I just added 32mm carbs from an 05 to my 98 RSTD.I have RK Muffs cut out in the center of the baffle and I had some popping on decel even after synching the carbs.I changed the primary jets from stock 15 to 17.5,still popped.I read somewhere to remove the brass caps under the carb on the float bowl to expose the primary adjustment screws,which I did..It's a known fact that these and most bikes are jetted on the lean side to protect the engine.You'll need a long phillips,(8" to get to them).I,with the help of a friend with a good ear and some carb knowledge,adjusted the screws out about 1/4 turn.I rode it the popping lessened quite a bit.It seemed to be now only popping on the right side so when I got home,I adjusted right side carbs out a touch more.Now the popping is nearly gone.I'm no engineer or tech.I'm just a tinkerer that likes my junk to run to it's potential and then some.Anyone that knows better,please correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe the main jet size affects this condition.I thought main jets are basically for accelerating and wide open...Popping is on deceleration.With the trial and error tuning I've been doing,my bike has never run better. I'm close but not quite tuned perfectly...Yet...I'm going to resynch carbs Sunday just to be sure I'm still on the mark.I hope this helps cause good pipes just sound better!! Doug

Edited by Douginflorida
add info

I have the same bike and put 2012 HD mufflers on and they do same even after carb sync. Its all normal and just need to go with it or not. On a soft decell it sounds cool. You dont need to rejet. Dont waste money unless you have a bunch and if you do send some my way. :rotf::rotf::rotf::whistling:

Joe