IGNORED

Ancient Photographer

Condor

In today’s world of digital photography, I miss the art of taking a good photograph. I miss the expectant wait for the developing process to see if what I think I saw is what I recorded on the film. I miss the rules that have been generated over years of trial and error that hold true today as well as they did 100 years ago, and don’t mean a thing in the electronic world... I guess I just miss the romance of shooting silver film. So I drag out the old Nikon F2, and fire the shutter a half dozen times, get my fix, put it back into it's camera bag, and slip my digital in my shirt pocket… :whistling:

In 1977, while in college, I went to work for a camera repair shop/photography studio and that was my first time being around quality cameras. I ultimately ended up with a Canon AE1 with a bunch of lenses that is now in the basement in the bag. I now have a digital Nikon L110 that is a nice camera, but I feel I have very little control with so many of the things like light control, depth of field, exposure length and other things that made those real special pictures. I know there are digital cameras that address these issues better than mine, but I do miss using my old film camers.

RandyA

The anxiety...waiting for slides from Kodak at Fairlawn,NJ.....did I get the lightning or not?....the sunny 16 rule......lenses mm/shutter reciprocal....."ANSEL ADAMS".......Kodachrome 25.....exposure bracketing notes........

"See What You Did Condor".........forced me to do a trip down

"MEMORY LANE"

would be great if everyone would share a favorite pic.

With the right camera I think the art and challenge to create a good photograph is still there. For about 15 years I shot film, 35mm and 2 1/4 on weddings and portraits. I hated the wait for the prints to come back from the lab. I love the immediate gratification that digital provides. If anything, I think digital is less forgiving and requires that you get the exposure just right to get a great print. Once I went to a full frame digital SLR it became more like shooting film again. These are the good old days.

Dennis

It took me awhile to decide to switch my Minolta 35mm to digital. I was lucky because When Sony bought Minolta they made the Sony a200 digital which was almost the same camera as my Maxxum. Same lenses and flash fit. Just bought the body and was ready to go. I gave up nothing except the wait for developing. I can still set the F stop, shutter speed, ASA, etc. The creativity is still there and the fun goes on.

I still have my old Yashika FX-3 with 70-210 zoom lense with Macro. Bought it in 1976 but haven't used it in maybe 10 years tho. Loved experimenting with that camera. Tried practically every imaginable kind of shot including a single head shot pic of me but looking in 2 different directions. Thought for a while I might try and get into developing my own film but never did. The little sony digital I have takes nice pics but like Condor, I miss the ability to experiment with the pic.

One day I will get a good SLR type digital that allows me to "play".

The little sony digital I have takes nice pics but like Condor, I miss the ability to experiment with the pic.

I experiment more now than with film. I sometimes experiment with the image capture and sometimes I experiment in Photoshop. I don't waste near as much paper now and I get immediate feedback if the experiment worked or not.

I will say I think I was a better photographer with film and I think that was because I shot slower and made certain that the shot was set up perfectly, or as near to perfect as I knew how to make it. Mainly because it was costing a buck a shot if it was a good shot or bad. Now I just blast away and know that I'll get a good shot every now and then. I used to do a portrait session and shoot 12 or 24, 2 1/4 images and hope I got a couple of great ones. Now I don't even flinch at shooting a 100 shots if that's what I think is necessary.

Dennis

But we must remember the many women who worked to support our military during that time.

My grandmother worked in a factory and I heard her tell of coworkers that would get the news of husbands killed in action while at work and continue to work their shift as the tears flowed and them saying they would do anything to end the war and not have theirs friends feel the hurt they were feeling.

The United States of America, many problems but still the greatest country on earth!

I experiment more now than with film. I sometimes experiment with the image capture and sometimes I experiment in Photoshop. I don't waste near as much paper now and I get immediate feedback if the experiment worked or not.

"experiment" .... with my old Yashika my experimenting included such things as ....

panning with a race car so the car is sharp but the rest of the scene is blurred.

having the scene sharp and the race car blurred as it goes by.

causing foreground and background of a specific object or person to be out of focus but not the object.

taking scene shots at night, especially with vehicles going by, people moving, etc and having a blurred image of motion.

taking shots with various lens filters.

etc, etc...

sure, you can do some of this with a inexpensive digital but imho, not as quickly or easilly as I could with that old Yashika once I got good at adjusting it's settings.

After 10 years, I've totally forgotten how to do most of what I knew LOL

As for now, with digital pics, yes, I do delve into playing with them using Corel Photopaint and/or other image editing apps. Lotsa Fun eh!

This thread has gotten me wanting to pull out the Argus C3! LoL Talk about ancient... but it still takes great pics!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Argus_C3.jpg

I would really love to have a top of the line digital SLR (and I may still) but as little as I photograph anymore it would be a waste.

Actually, I'm amazed at what my Android phone can do. I'm happier with the pics it takes than any of my digital compacts.

Edited by BigBoyinMS

This thread has gotten me wanting to pull out the Argus C3! LoL Talk about ancient... but it still takes great pics!

Bought one of those for my father in law a while back. Strictly nostalgia. He dropped his first one overboard while coming back from Guam on a troop ship. You'da thought he'd won the lottery when I gave it to him..... :)