IGNORED

F4Customs Windshield

I am the proud and humbled owner of a brand new F4Customs windshield. This is the largest shield available for the Venture that F4 makes at this time and it does have the integrated vent.

Model # F4-YRSV-19_5-W-VENT-C 19.5" Clear Wide

After talking with Don, he suggested that I start a thread here so I can add too it as I need to while giving a review of the shield. Once the review is done, we will make it a report and move it to the library.

My intentions are to bring both the good and the bad. In doing this, I am basically going to review this in the form of a Diary listing just about every ride, the things noticed about the shield, cleaning, wear, gas mileage changes and any thing else that may pop up related to the windshield.

Should you have any questions post them and I will answer to the best of my ability.

So, to get started:

I received the windshield nicely packed in a box and protected what I consider well enough to protect it under most shipping circumstances. Mine did come in with the box a little crushed. I was a little concerned until I was able to unpack it.

[ATTACH]64430[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]64431[/ATTACH]

As you can see the box was a little crushed

[ATTACH]64432[/ATTACH]

Shield out of box and out of packing material

[ATTACH]64433[/ATTACH] Unwrapped face down - [ATTACH]64434[/ATTACH] unwrapped face up

Notice that the shield also had a protective coating of plastic stuck to it.

Below are a few measurements.

[ATTACH]64435[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]64436[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]64437[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]64438[/ATTACH]

Now for a few comparison pics. I have my OEM in front of the F4. The black is on my original OEM, NOT the F4 and the F4 still has the sticky protective plastic on it.

[ATTACH]64440[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]64439[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]64441[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]64442[/ATTACH]

This should be enough to hold you for a few moments at least... I did take my first ride with it this past Tuesday. I will post some more shortly.

Edited by TDunc

Hey,,,, I see they blacked the bottom. ......

Mike, the black is actually off of the OEM sitting in front of the F4. I did that so you could see the difference side by side so to speak.

I have not had time to notice that particular view. But that is a good point.

Take a look at the last four pics in original post. My original OEM shield is in front of the F4. The F4 approximately 2 inches taller and 4 inches wider. The F4 is measured from the cut out at the bottom to the top. In one of the previous pics, you can see where I had a tape measure.

No, I did not consider going shorter because I sit very tall in the saddle. I sat looking right below the top of the window in my sight line. I was constantly tilting head to see over or ducking to have a clear view. With the F4, so far that is eliminated. I am totally behind the shield. Buffeting was hitting the top of my helmet with the OEM and now I have about three inches of free air above my helmet. That is the ride I was looking for. So far (one ride) I'm satisfied.

• 3 weeks later...

We are thinking about getting one of these shields. Not so much for me, but for my passenger. With the stock windshield, I am pretty much in the calm air bubble, but Susan gets slapped around pretty bad by the wind. We were thinking maybe a wider/taller version would enlarge the "bubble" to include her. She gets tired of the noise from buffeting, and it is colder in the wind.

Any thoughts or impressions from the back seat yet?

I don't want to hijack your thread, but to answer the question about the passenger, my passenger loved it when I went to a taller windshield 10 yrs ago. No more complaints of head buffetting or sore shoulders. I went with the Tulsa windshield at 1/2 the price of the F4. I just checked their web site http://www.allamericanprod.com/windshields.html#rs and the price is the same 10 trs later.

Ok, took a wet ride Saturday before last.

Temp was about 55 and it was very misty. I decided to do a short ride to see how the shield handled some water. I am still waiting for it to get warmer to do the full rain test.

I left the house and immediately saw the difference in how it handled water versus the OEM shield. If you have ever Rainexed your car shield, then you know the effect. Even though it was not raining hard, it did not take but a mile or so for enough water to accumulate to start running off. Speeds at this time were only 35 or so. Still in the residential area.

In just a few miles, I turned on the interstate to run over to Gastonia and was still amazed at how clear it stayed. I also rode with the shield up on my helmet to see if I would be getting any of the runoff as it left the shield and blew by. I only remember getting hit once by a glob that was dead center on the top as the wind blew it off. Yes I ducked...

At no time, even with the heavy mist, did the shield ever get to the point I could not see through it. This was the part that really pleased me. With the OEM I was constantly looking over the shield only to get pelted with the blow off and rain.

I am still convinced that this is a great shield. :thumbsup2:

Now, as I have no intentions of cleaning the shield for a while :big-grin-emoticon:to see how well it does clean up, I was surprised to find that the few bug things on the shield when I started this semi wet ride where no longer there after I got back home.

Total length of this ride... approx 30 miles round trip.

The report of the first all day ride two up coming up soon.......

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I still have not washed the shield. I am still waiting to see how well it does on cleaning. I think it is about time and here are some of the details.

I have ridden several around town and shorter rides and this weekend I went to the GA MD. On the way down I really skirted most of the weather. It was not until I was well off the interstate in GA that I actually got wet. Not wet enough to put on rain gear but it was enough to wash some of the pollen and bug juice off. (additional note - night highway driving with all the bug stuff was not a good thing. I did wish I had cleaned it before hitting the road last night. alot of reflection from the bugs)

Now enough of the dirt. Moving on to some more input about the way it feels on the road. I still am very pleased with the way it takes the buffeting away from the top of my helmet. I spent most of the time (3 Hours) checking out the air flow on the sides on this ride. I have tassels on the clutch and brake handles. I do notice that the wind now curves up a little more than normal. It is actually enough that it twist the tassels on the brake side into a knot. It does it mainly when at highway speeds and above....???? Not that I speed or anything. I also think I feel the wind more on my torso than normal. I will report more on that after I swap screens again and check out how much I get with the OEM.

As far as gas mileage, I am still checking and double checking based on speed. So far I am finding that there is little change at normal speeds but at higher speeds, 70+ I do feel a little more whole bike buffeting and a little drop in gas mileage. The worst I had this weekend was 38.66 MPG. Again, not enough to totally throw out the idea of a EXTRA LARGE SHIELD.

I have had many say something about not wanting to look through a shield especially when it is raining/drizzling. I will say this with strong conviction. THE RAIN SHEDS OFF THIS THING LIKE IT IS COVERED WITH RAINX. I have not had to stop or look over the top yet due to rain. I know this is different than my OEM because I had to look over/around whenever it got wet.

I will report on the cleaning job after I wash the bike today or tomorrow.

Here is a pic from outside Helen GA and the turn around point of this ride.

[ATTACH]65573[/ATTACH]

Edited by TDunc

What you say about the water shedding off is absolutely true! I cannot see over my F4 Windshield on my Wing,(I have the +2 model for the Wing) except when I lower it to the lowest position but I find no need to do that.Amazing. The fun part of having this shield is all the folks that come over and start telling me Im going to scratch it using paper towels. It is actually recommended by F4 and it DOES work better using paper towels.

Thanks for the update Dunc. And great to meet you on Saturday! I really like the look of that F4, and yes, I am one of the ones who really doesn't like looking thru the windscreen. As you saw, I have the 13" shorty-wide screen, and love it. But that vented option is very appealing for hot weather riding, and if it performs as you say, I might could get used to it. I'll keep looking for your updates.

Thanks!!

couldn't find what they charge to ship it. i did see that the f-4 19.5 is two inches taller than factory and wider where as the clear view is only one inch taller than factory and wider,i think three inches. clear view gets $39.95 to ship it to blk mt,NC which brings it to around $288.00 i think(tinted and with the vent). a little skeptical on the clear view however, i saw one take a hit on a saddle bag being drooped in a pull over and it didn't stand up at all to me. it had to be taken off so to get it home. i know these things weren't made to be indestructible but i sure did think it wasn't to strong at all. having said all this i guess i will have to ride down and see it for my self and make a decision than.

Yep, you are welcome to take a look see..... Only thing I will not allow is for you to take a hammer to it like in their Youtube video... Nope.. mine are not that big.:big-grin-emoticon:

I looked at a clearview this weekend and the only things that caught my eyes were that the clearview had alot of curves in it that caused a little paralax in the view through those areas. The second thing was that the clearview does have some sort of blackout down toward the bottom. I have heard a few people say they really liked that feature.

UPDATE - I just washed it for the first time. I really wanted to see how well it cleaned up. I only used windex and paper towels and it cleaned up really well. Even with a months worth of stuff on it. I'm impressed.

Edited by TDunc

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the excellent job reporting on the shield Tom! Haven't had time to check in much, but will be watching now that weather is getting better. We will be in Charleston, SC 4/25-28, then on to Thunder beach in Panama City. Ride safe!

• 3 weeks later...
What you say about the water shedding off is absolutely true! I cannot see over my F4 Windshield on my Wing,(I have the +2 model for the Wing) except when I lower it to the lowest position but I find no need to do that.Amazing. The fun part of having this shield is all the folks that come over and start telling me Im going to scratch it using paper towels. It is actually recommended by F4 and it DOES work better using paper towels.

I have the same 19" tall and wide windshield! I love this thing!!!

But,,, I do not see the same water shedding!!

My only complante is, In the rain, water will roll over the top of the wind shield

and run down the back, and come off and hit me in the face!!

I use "Plexus Plexiglass Cleaner", Could this be the issue??

What do you think F4???

Steve

Hi,

I need to replace my 2000 venture windshield and was hoping to ask some questions on the F4.

I normally like to be able to see over the top of the shield in the rain. I bought the bike last fall, still have my 84, first rain I almost had an accident. Light rain, 4 lane highway, left lane, highway turning into the setting sun, I couldn't see a thing. I was lucky to be able to pull over to the shoulder without getting pinged. The last person said he was having trouble seeing in the rain. Is there a difference between shields or is it the plexus he was using?

I found the difference between my 84 shield and the 2000 OEM shield is the 2000 shield allows water to collect on the inside of the shield, I guess because it does not have the top curve that the 84 shield has. Again, I have heard some conflicting reports and it looks like this shield does not have the top curve.

I have also heard that bugs come through the vent when open, has anyone been able to install some kind of screen on this or is it not something to worry about? Yes, I know bugs are protein.

How hard is it to cut the shield down if I feel I need to be able to see above the shield?

Lastly, clutch whine, I have read that some people have lessened the noise from clutch whine by changing to different windshields. Has anyone experienced this with the F4?

These are very cool shields and I like a lot of the features. I just want know more before I order. I live in Canada and shipping and duty costs can add up.

For the ones that bought these shields recently, how do you find them now?

Thanks very much,

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

i got mine at the thunder beach rally... and they say that i will not scrach.. when i was on my way home i noticed to long light scratchs at the bottom of it .. i think it was like that when i got it.... goint to call the company and see what they say about it ... i think they done it when they were cleaning it and maybe had a ring on or something.. realy not that noticble but i then for the money it should be right :mytruck:

Hey,,,, I see they blacked the bottom.

I got mine about a year ago,,, still happy. Not the first scratch!

But a complaint back then was that the bottom was not blacked out and you could see down into the fairing.

Good move F4.

• 2 months later...

Sooooooooo TD !! :confused24:

It has been seven months now .....

How has this been working out for you?

I am still leaning toward purchasing one in the future

my clearview is still going strong tho after 4 years tho.:)

Jeff

Sorry, have a new work schedule this summer and we have had a death in the family.

Short answer----- GO GET ONE.

With the riding I have done with this shield the only things I might change is the direction the vent opens and maybe some tinting at the bottom....(this has no effect on the quality of the shield.)

The vent opens from the top first and I think (oh crap, here I go thinking again) I would like it better if it opened down..This would also help with the bugs being forced down and not straight back into my face. But like I said before...Go get one. Great shield, and still a great shield.

Shield still is easily cleaned and looks just as good as when I first received it.

Sooooooooo TD !! :confused24:

It has been seven months now .....

How has this been working out for you?

I am still leaning toward purchasing one in the future

my clearview is still going strong tho after 4 years tho.:)

Jeff

I have both and can honestly say both are quite nice. The Clearview is a tall and wide version which I would mostly use when its cold up here for better wind protection but I did notice lower gas mileage due to how much frontage it has to high winds.. but in the summer time I use the F4 windshield which I had to cut down to 13" as the stock height was right in my line of vision.

Both windshields will take rainx nicely and I tend to clean them with Pledge, of all things.. it makes the bugs a lot easier to clean off each day.. very nice.

The one issue I do have with the tall & wide windshield though is when riding in the rain.. At highway speeds, the rain slicks right off and you can see clearly through the shield.. but at city speeds, there isn't enough wind to pull the water off and the type of rain we typically have up here is the thick misty drizzle and I found myself trying to sit higher in the seat to look over the Clearview (shoulda gotten a shorter one or cut it)..

The F4 is really scratch resistant as they claim.. I've had it for two seasons, and except for where a rather large rock hit it, the finish is still flawless. I thought the shield would crack or shatter from the force of impact (rock fell off an oncoming dump truck at highways speeds) but nothing more than a loud WHACK and a slight mar where it hit.. I'd say a lesser shield would have suffered damage.. I've taken a crow to the Clearview and except for the mess, no damage or marks on it either..

• 11 months later...

OK guys and gals,

You can see how long I have had this shield. Not much has changed and I still do stick to all I have said. FOR ME, this is still one of the best add on's to my bike.

I have been caught in everything but a sand/dust storm (we don't have those often here on the east coast) but I have had STUFF slung up at me while passing cars etc.

Rocks = yes they left a little ping place in the shield.

Mud = yep, just washed it off with no major problems.

I do not have any scratches except from the rock and from where my taller water bottle vibrated against the shield for about 600 miles. Still nothing to complain about.

Cleaning is still a breeze and even the gas station squeegee is my friend.

When the product IS as it is advertised, it is hard to change your thoughts unless something catastrophic happens.