IGNORED

Rebuilding and Modding my 83

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on rebuilding my '83. It is in ok condition, but I think I paid too much for someone's put-back-together parts bike. It is a Royale, but someone removed all the Royale stuff (Class, radio, CB, etc) and hacked all the wires/connectors for them. Plus a lot of the plastic is cracked, missing tabs, randomly screwed together and zip-tied. It needs a lot of attention, and for a short moment I considered just trading it off and looking for a better bike. But I figured whoever got it would probably just part it off and one less 1st gen would be on the road. So here goes my tear-down and rebuild of my 1983 Venture Custom. It's going to be the way I want it.

Starting off, here are a few pics of it in late 2010 (pre-crash)

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2010_Closeup02.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2010_Closeup01.jpg

And here is what it looks like now:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2012_NakedBike01.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2012_NakedBike02.jpg

And all the plastic:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2012_NakedBike03.jpg

Now let the fun begin...

-Andrew

p.s. if the pics are too big or posted wrong, let me know and I'll fit it. Same if I should post it in another catagory.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So first off, my list of what needs to be fixed:

-2nd gear

-Misfire/ front left cyl. (exhaust takes longer to get hot)

-New tires

-Delink front brakes (reason for crash in 2010)

-Every piece of plastic cracked/missing tabs

-Misc leaks all over engine

-Cuts off while riding. Lights/electrical still on, just no spark/no juice to starter like someone threw the kill switch. Yes, switch is on.

-Progressive front springs

-I'm sure I'll find more

And here's the list of mods:

-Drivers floorboards. And moved forwards slightly. When my son sits on the passenger seat, his toes are touching the back of my legs with his heels against the saddlebags. And he's only 11...

-Redesign the fairing. That's all I'm saying til I get it done.

-Saddle bags from a MkII. Anyone got some for cheap?

-New handlebars. Mine are comfortable as how I put them, but the brake/clutch lines and wires don't run nicely. See pic.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/Handlebars02.jpg

-Modify seat - Needs a backrest

-Modify tank & side covers

-Modify rear trunk - put armrests on

-Update the electrics

-New Headlights

Those are just a few things I want to do. As I'm limited on funds, I don't know when I'll get this all done. I have a Yamaha Maxim XJ650 to ride while this is apart, but I do miss the power and comfort it has.

-Andrew

I've never seen it before, but your handlebars are on backwards! Did you do that?

Yup, look at the pics in my previous post. I prefer the handlebars coming out straight, perpendicular to me, feels more comfortable. I had to drill a clearance spot for the pin to do it, and switched the left bar to the right side & vice versa. Mine was also missing the decorative cover at the base of the bars.

-Andrew

Well, I've started on the fixing-up. I'm in Dingy's group buy for the TCI. Mine doesn't appear to be fried, but it is 29 years old and who knows how it's working. One less thing to worry about going wrong.

Next is scoping out tires. I know better than to ask "which ones". I got my mind set on some, just gotta find the best price. Where do you look online for the lowest price on good tires?

Also, what would be better for fixing my second gear issue? Replacing the engine with a 1300, or digging in and fixing just what's broken with ebay parts? I can use second if I don't accelerate, so it's not completely gone, and if I accelerate I usually just skip 2nd to avoid any problems. I have no problem cracking it open, and I have more time than $$, and a spare bike to ride, so fixing isn't a problem. I was just wondering if a "new" engine is cheaper in the long run (little costs could add up, since I don't actually know what will need fixing). I've read all the tech section stuff, just need to get the motor out and look, I guess.

Well, that where I stand now, and with my portion of my tax refund I can get a few things, and start working on it. More pics to follow.

-Andrew

Thats what im doing with my 2 first gens. Both have been neglected but im going to rebuild the one as close as a i can to its original glory days (Both bikes are blonde 83's one with 28k and the other with 68k, the one with less miles is going to be my pretty original rebuild), but the other one is going to get the vmax cams carbs etc get a crazy paint job, All sorts of lights, a 12 inch sub woofer in the back bag, a V-Max rear end, and who knows what else. I agree that both bikes should be kept running an on the road, because you really dont see enough of these today. You'll see plenty of 11 and 1200 gold wings, but hardly no ventures :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been busy the last few days. I've ordered some new tires, new diaphrams, I'm also in the group buy for the TCI, and I just grabbed an '88 partial engine.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/88_Engine01.jpg

It's not a complete engine, some of the electrics have been pulled off, but it hasn't been cracked open. So I now have the gears for the transmission to replace my second gear issue. As an added bonus, it still has the neutral switch still on it, so I can modify my '83 to have a gear indicator!

All I need now is the progressive springs and do the brake de-link. And the solid motor mounts. And I'm sure I'll find more stuff to throw money at.

-Andrew

Well, I've been busy the last few days. I've ordered some new tires, new diaphrams, I'm also in the group buy for the TCI, and I just grabbed an '88 partial engine.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/88_Engine01.jpg

It's not a complete engine, some of the electrics have been pulled off, but it hasn't been cracked open. So I now have the gears for the transmission to replace my second gear issue. As an added bonus, it still has the neutral switch still on it, so I can modify my '83 to have a gear indicator!

All I need now is the progressive springs and do the brake de-link. And the solid motor mounts. And I'm sure I'll find more stuff to throw money at.

-Andrew

The 88 should bolt right in without needing to do much to it.

This is what I used as the basis for my rebuild. First year I put it in I didn't split case.

I did pull heads & took bottom off & pulled pistons, honed cylinders. I put VMax heads on that year.

Last year I pulled motor again for performance enhancements & split case. Splitting the case is a much more involved process, but nothing to shy away from. Main reason I split case was so I could have the block/head surface milled .040" to boost compression.

2nd gear is not an issue with 86 & up motors.

Gary

Where I might see a problem is, it looks like your new motor doesn't have the universal & middle gear shaft on it.

It's not quite as easy as using your old one. There are shims in there to set the backlash on this beveled gear set.

Look in service manual about checking this if you are thinking of using this motor and don't have that shaft.

Gary

Where I might see a problem is, it looks like your new motor doesn't have the universal & middle gear shaft on it.

It's not quite as easy as using your old one. There are shims in there to set the backlash on this beveled gear set.

Look in service manual about checking this if you are thinking of using this motor and don't have that shaft.

Gary

Gary it sounds like he planning on using the tranny to fix second gear issues and neutral switch to add gear indicator on his 83 , not using the motor itself. I could be wrong though,its been known to happen.

David

Dingy, as much as I would like a direct swap for ease, this partial was in my budget, and local. It does have the middle gear & universal still attached, you can see a small bit of the u-joint in that pic at the very bottom. I do not know the condition of the engine, where as I know mine works. I'd hate to install it and find out it has a rod knock or something. It has also been sitting slightly disassembled for a period of time, not sure of the pistons & such. I did rotate the gearbox and it appeared they were still bathed in oil & spun freely. So it'll be more work, but I enjoy breaking, uh, taking apart stuff & putting it back together, more so if it still works after.

-Andrew

Dingy, as much as I would like a direct swap for ease, this partial was in my budget, and local. It does have the middle gear & universal still attached, you can see a small bit of the u-joint in that pic at the very bottom. I do not know the condition of the engine, where as I know mine works. I'd hate to install it and find out it has a rod knock or something. It has also been sitting slightly disassembled for a period of time, not sure of the pistons & such. I did rotate the gearbox and it appeared they were still bathed in oil & spun freely. So it'll be more work, but I enjoy breaking, uh, taking apart stuff & putting it back together, more so if it still works after.

-Andrew

This is a 1300 motor, at a minimum it's 100cc's more than your 83 1200cc.

These motors are close to bullet proof. If the oil filter is still on it, start by opening it up and seeing if there are metal shavings, also pull oil drain plug & check it.

It will have the diaphragm type clutch in it which is easier to stiffen up than the barnett style clutch in the 83. Along with this, the clutch cover from the 83 won't fit the 88, but the 88 will fit the 83. Clutch stack up is wider with diaphragm spring style.

Gary

Unfortunately, the clutch basket is gone. The side covers are missing from both sides, that was how I could see in and rotate the shaft to check out the tranny gears. I know there is still some oil in it, as it leaked as I was loading it into my van. So if the oil is metal-particle free, rotates, and can be cleaned up, could I use my '83 clutch & cover on it? What about the stator and middle gear covers? Could I re-use my '83 covers & internals? And as for the carbs, would mine work too? I was trying to keep costs down, I couldn't find local engines or gears (other than this one) and it seems like the price engines are going for on ebay the cost doubles with shipping.

-Andrew

Unfortunately, the clutch basket is gone. The side covers are missing from both sides, that was how I could see in and rotate the shaft to check out the tranny gears. I know there is still some oil in it, as it leaked as I was loading it into my van. So if the oil is metal-particle free, rotates, and can be cleaned up, could I use my '83 clutch & cover on it? What about the stator and middle gear covers? Could I re-use my '83 covers & internals? And as for the carbs, would mine work too? I was trying to keep costs down, I couldn't find local engines or gears (other than this one) and it seems like the price engines are going for on ebay the cost doubles with shipping.

-Andrew

Everything from the 83 will fit on it with exception of clutch cover. If you put the clutch from the 83 in it, then the 83 cover will also fit.

When you say 83 internals, as far as I know, only thing not usable would be the pistons & rods.

Your carbs will work, a newer set from an MKII at some point would be better, but I rode my 1300 with the carbs from the 83 for a year and it was fine. The MKII/VMax set were an improvement, but not required.

When I got my 88 donor bike from MiCarl, the block was about all I used from it, rest was either from the 83, or the VMax heads. I even used my side covers, except for the clutch due to the 83's were in better cosmetic shape.

Gary

Well, if everything on the motor looks good, maybe I'll just swap over the missing parts and see how it goes. I won't put the plastic back on til I've tested it, worse thing is I'd have to drop the engine out again and break it open, which I was expecting to do anyways.

Thanks for the tips, Dingy. You're not heading to Milwaukee anytime soon, are you...?

-Andrew

Well, if everything on the motor looks good, maybe I'll just swap over the missing parts and see how it goes. I won't put the plastic back on til I've tested it, worse thing is I'd have to drop the engine out again and break it open, which I was expecting to do anyways.

Thanks for the tips, Dingy. You're not heading to Milwaukee anytime soon, are you...?

-Andrew

I don't plan on it.

Also, one of many tips I have for this project is, when you go to put motor back in frame, pull the swing arm off. It makes it soooo much easier to get in or out. One of many lessons I have learned the frustrating way.

Gary

Well, parts are starting to roll in. I now have a set of new tires and new diaphragms (for the carbs). Now I just need a free weekend to start replacing things. Got some tire irons too and I will see if I can swap them myself. Might order a set of 90° valve stems too. With the winter being so mild here in Milwaukee, I really am chomping at the bit to have the bike rolling again.

One thing, Dingy, one of the intakes on my parts engine looks like some water got in it and sat, it's a little corroded/rusty. Can I use my 1200 heads on the 1300? I know you used the V-Max heads, I was just wondering if it would be ok or just keep with my 1200 and do the tranny gear swap like I planned.

-Andrew

Thanks flyinfool, I don't think I'll need any parts, but I'll keep that in mind for the future. My '83 is complete but starting the 2nd gear issue, and I have an '88 parts motor that has the tranny gears I need but is missing a few other pieces. Dingy made a comment on using the '88 as it is a 1300 vs my 1200, but there are a few issues with the parts engine, like missing pieces, and I'm unaware of the overall condition of it. So I will most likely crack open the '88 as practice and get the gears out, then swap the gears into my '83. Should be easy, right?

-Andrew

Thanks flyinfool, I don't think I'll need any parts, but I'll keep that in mind for the future. My '83 is complete but starting the 2nd gear issue, and I have an '88 parts motor that has the tranny gears I need but is missing a few other pieces. Dingy made a comment on using the '88 as it is a 1300 vs my 1200, but there are a few issues with the parts engine, like missing pieces, and I'm unaware of the overall condition of it. So I will most likely crack open the '88 as practice and get the gears out, then swap the gears into my '83. Should be easy, right?

-Andrew

Famous last words.

Ranks right up there with "hold my beer............"

Since you are so close we really need to meet. I knew I couldn't be the only venture rider in Milwaukee county.

I was thinking of doing a M&E next month.

If you need a hand, or at least someone to harass you while working let me know. I can break anything.:big-grin-emoticon:

Just let me know where and when. Since my Venture is stripped down and being worked on, if the M&E is on bikes I'll be on my Maxim. I'm probably pulling it out of storage this weekend as I got a new battery for it and these nice days lately have been calling out for a bike ride.

-Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had much time to do anything with the bike, as my son just bridged to Boy Scouts and we had to complete some final projects. Next few weeks will be busy as we got to get his Pinewood Derby car done (mine too!). Then I can get started on the engine / 2nd gear issue.

I did have some progress, tho. Since I had the plastic in the house, I peeled off the "Venture Royale" banners that were on the saddle bags. They painted them, stuck on the stickers, then had clear-coated over them. Very annoying. Since I'm changing the color, off they came.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/Saddlebags01.jpg

The bags are in pretty good condition, but I want to remove the paint since it's chipped in places & I want to have it nice & smooth. Is there any chemical strippers I should use or watch out for? Or should it be plain old-fashion sanding? I want to remove the white PLUS the original color under it (Gold, from what I can see where it's chipped off). All the hardware is coming off, I'm not a fan of taping off what could be taken off. Much better finish that way.

-Andrew