IGNORED

Taking cables of Carburetor rack for removal

Loosen the adjuster at the throttle grip. Underneath switch housing there is a thumb screw on 1 cable, run it in closer to grip.

Also run adjuster all the way in on the carb body adjuster, this one is a 10mm wrench adjust.

This will allow slack in cables at carb end & allow cables to be removed.

Gary

The best way I've found is to leave the cables connected until the carbs are removed and hanging off the left side of the bike. Then you can get to the cables without much of a hassle. Same thing when installing. Hook 'm up and then slip the carbs back in. Getting those cable barrels slipped in properly is a PITA without room to work...

I just removed my carbs on my '84 this weekend for the first time. PITA is right. Thankfully, I found the 2x2 + prybar recommendation to get the carbs out of the intake boots before tackling the project.

Cleaning them went well. It hasn't been ridden (or run) in ~2.5yrs due to moving all over the place. I decided a thorough carb clean was mandatory at this point. Two of the carbs were plugged up pretty badly. One of them has had zero fuel flow for some time (probably before I bought it in '05), based on the amount of sludge in the main jet. It was completely compacted. I'm anxious to get this thing running, tuned, and synced... and running on ALL 4 cylinders :D Thankfully all diaphragms were/are in tact.

I also had a really crummy time with the screws on the bowl and diaphragm covers. Stripped the crap out of about 20% of them. My impact driver disappeared somehow in the last move (GRRRR). And I was unable to find any of the JIS screwdrivers locally. So, with some supernatural grace, a hammer, and a big 'ole Vicegrips, I was fortunate enough to break them all loose. It (my sanity) was touch and go for a while. I replaced them all with some zinc-coated steel M5 hex heads and slit/lock washers. I wish they would have used those "safety" Torx heads on all of the screws in the first place...!

Btw, I also did Condors method on the throttle cables. I'm not looking forward to trying to get the darn things back on... :mad: And its certainly going to be an adventure to get the carbs back in the boots...

Thanks got both cables off one cable used Garys method and other took off after getting carbs to outside of frame. Again thanks for all the help. Just bought this bike 83 for a parts bike but after going over it think i will make this bike my rider. Might have more questions later Dave

Btw, I also did Condors method on the throttle cables. I'm not looking forward to trying to get the darn things back on... :mad: And its certainly going to be an adventure to get the carbs back in the boots...

Getting carbs out of the boots just takes a little 'forcefull' rocking side to side and lifting. When putting them back in the boots I use a bit of Deep Creep... WD will work too... and coat the bottom of the carbs. A circular motion while pressing down seems to work best to get them back in the boots....

I guess I'm nuts but all the times I had pulled my carb rack off I just loosen up the adjustors and then disconnect the cables at the junction box. Seems to be the easiest and fastest way to me. I leave the carb side cables attached until it's on the bench.

Guess I'm odd. (no surprise there really) :crackup:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I'm nuts but all the times I had pulled my carb rack off I just loosen up the adjustors and then disconnect the cables at the junction box. Seems to be the easiest and fastest way to me. I leave the carb side cables attached until it's on the bench.

Guess I'm odd. (no surprise there really) :crackup:

Mike

Yeah what mike said...I just took the carbs off my bike today. Sorry it was really easy for me today??? Sorry I am jumping this post with a question. Is there such a thing as a carb rebuild kit (84) or just dive in and replace what is looking bad? I am not confident in rebuilding the carbs only because I feel if I take them apart it will take me another year to get it back together..2nd gear took a year, had more important things to do.. I am dropping the carbs off at the shop to have them tackle this monster. are floats still purchasable?

Thanks for any info,

Mike.

I am dropping the carbs off at the shop to have them tackle this monster. are floats still purchasable?

Thanks for any info,

Mike.

Not for the '84 model but I found the floats for the early model V-Max are the exact same. Replaced all four of mine due to problems. I think it was $125.00 for all four of them a few years ago.

I doubt that floats will be a big issue for ya. The PO did most the damage to the ones in mine. And 9 years of sitting didn't help.

Most that have problems with the floats absorbing fuel let them dry for few days in the sun then give them a coat of airplane dope to reseal them.

Mike