IGNORED

My starter is getting tired I think I get a slow hot crank

Well, I think my starter is getting tired. I get a slow hot crank mostly and I sometimes get a slow cold crank, but def. slower when hot. I read somewhere that the ventures have a two brush starter and the vmax has a 4 brush starter. I guess I could take mine apart and clean it but it would probably just be easier go get another used one, tune it up and throw it in and keep spares.

Dingy,

That looks like the hot ticket. When did the starters go from 2 brush to 4 brush? I have an 89, I've looked up parts online for it and it looks like a two brush starter. Would it behoove me to purchase a starter rebuild kit, do a little light honing on the armature do the mod and call it done? Bike currently has almost 68,000 miles on her and close as to what I can tell it's the original starter.

One of the members, think it was Snaggletooth got a rebuild kit on Ebay and found the brushes were junk.

I think it was 93 the VMax's went to a 4 brush, but memory is hazy on that one.

Attached is a picture that shows way to tell a 2 from a 4 brush STOCK starter externally. The 2 brush starters have 4 screws around the mid-line of the main housing that hold coils in place. 4 brush units don't have these screws. Top starter is 2 brush, bottom case is 4 brush unit.

Gary

Dingy,

Thanks for the info. Do the components swap from the 2 brush to the 4 brush or does the 4 brush still have the same fitment as the 2 brush?

P.S. I got the chance to use your steering nut tool and it worked perfectly when I changed my top steering bearing. Thanks.

Yep it was me. I found the brushes and rebuild kits I found on eBay were very low quality carbon. I bought a set of two brushes for about $8.00. Kits of the same brand ran about $25.00 with brush plate, brushes, bushings and such.

It cost me a starter. It did work, and worked fine for about 1 season. Then the brushes wore down and shorted out destroying the starter. Crispy Critter destoyed!

So figure the OEM brushes lasted about 25 years and were only worn about 25%. The new cheepo brushes were gone in less than a full season. Quality product? D'oh!

So if you are looking at about $50.00 for a set of OEM brushes, I'd go ahead and spend the money on a used 4 brush starter.

Earl hooked me up with a 4 brush and it's been in since. Problem fixed.

:2cents:

Mike

DZ! I have an 88 VR and I suffered the same problem. Dingy alerted me to Snaggle's modification. I chose to buy a new starter from Dennis Kirk that was a 4 brush; just was simpler for me to do that than try to rebuild the old one. Anyway, once I installed the new one I've had no problem what-so-ever. You'll be surprised at how fast the starter turns after you replace it.

Good Luck!

All I did on my 88 was the brush plate ground mod (or at least my version of it).

I no longer have any starting issues cold or hot. I still want to do the 4AWG welding cable upgrade. When I had my starter out it was very clean inside and there was next to no wear at all on the com or the carbons. But then the bike only has 45K miles on it.