IGNORED

Winter Lights and Deer Whistle

Bobby G

Fall is upon us, and with it getting darker earlier and with our white tail friends getting ready to run amok, I added a few very inexpensive safety items that I picked up at Wally World today.

The LED lights are mounted on both right and left side saddle bag rails and can be solid or blinking for additional visibility from the sides at night. They take 2 AAA batteries each and will run for 400- 500 hours continuous before needing new batts. They cost $8.95 each. I took the bike out for a quick ride tonight, and man can you be seen!

The chrome deer whistle is mounted under the right side bag to catch the max amount of wind, and is barely visible, and is also removable by sliding it off the stick-on holder. They came 2 to a package for $7.95, so I mounted the other one under the right side foot pad on the wife's Harley. For that price, I'll probably get two more for the left side of each bike. Can't be too careful this time of year.

sorry to tell you but in every study I've read deer Whistles are nothing but a money grab. Deer are so unpredictable that even if they hear the sound who knows which they will run. Loud pipes help, lights are good but if a doe has a stag on her trail you'd better watch for two because they will come, whistle or not

If it is a buck on the trail of a hot doe, he is likely to intentionally attack anything that gets in his way.

My next door neighbor was on vacation up in the north woods and stopped so the kids could see the does grazing on the side of the road, The spot they happened to stop was between a buck and his harem. The buck attacked the car and punched many hole through the sheet metal before they sped off with the buck chasing them.

If you only got it once a year you would get the same way....:whistling:

sorry to tell you but in every study I've read deer Whistles are nothing but a money grab. Deer are so unpredictable that even if they hear the sound who knows which they will run. Loud pipes help, lights are good but if a doe has a stag on her trail you'd better watch for two because they will come, whistle or not

Well, they may not work for deer, but I know for a fact that they work for elephants. I had some on my 1500 Goldwing for 6 years, and NOT ONCE did an elephant run out in front of me!

So there!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

I don't know if deer whistles work or not but I have had them on my bikes for years

"just in case" but I will tell you they are suppose to be run in pairs because each one makes a different sound that when put together is suppose to keep deer from running out at you. They will not stop a running deer but are suppose to keep them standing still as you drive by.

The lights and the whistle work together, and they work as follows.

A deer, walking thru the woods on his way to where ever deer walk to, hears the whistle and like a dog when whistled to, goes to see who wants him. When he gets to the side of the road, he eyeballs the deer calling motorcycle, and see's the anti-deer LED lighting strapped to the side of the bike.

He falls down laughing at the spectacle, forgetting where it was that he was going, so weak with tears streaming down his snout he couldn't get up to go there, even if he remembers where, there was.

Three squirrels and a racoon show up, and as the deer tells the story of the strange vehicle, all are soon rolling on the forest floor with laughter.

By the time he recovers and gets on his merry deer way, the motorcycle, safety gizmo's and all, is safely beyond the danger zone, spreading joy and laughter to all of the forest creatures large and small. :crackup: :crackup: :stickpoke:

A deer, walking thru the woods on his way to where ever deer walk to, hears the whistle and like a dog when whistled to, goes to see who wants him. When he gets to the side of the road, he eyeballs the deer calling motorcycle, and see's the anti-deer LED lighting strapped to the side of the bike.

He falls down laughing at the spectacle, forgetting where it was that he was going, so weak with tears streaming down his snout he couldn't get up to go there, even if he remembers where, there was.

Three squirrels and a racoon show up, and as the deer tells the story of the strange vehicle, all are soon rolling on the forest floor with laughter.

By the time he recovers and gets on his merry deer way, the motorcycle, safety gizmo's and all, is safely beyond the danger zone, spreading joy and laughter to all of the forest creatures large and small. :crackup: :crackup: :stickpoke:

My strategy exactly! Why else would I put such rediculous crappola on my otherwise beautiful motorcycle??

:moon::moon::moon:

A lot of formal research has been conducted on Deer Whistles and the conclusive findings demonstrate that they do not work. For example:

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/deerw.html

What really bothers me, is the potential of items like this providing some people with a sense of false security. I am against anyone marketing any safety-related product while making false claims about it's effectiveness.

Many of us like to have all the bells and whistles on our rides. Just be aware that your bell probably scares more deer than your whistle.

Be Safe!

Pete.

I loved this part of the article:

The RMEJ article ends with a citation from the New York Times NATIONAL that describes an alternative and creative way to frighten deer and other animals off the road and out of the path of oncoming vehicles. The NYTN articles explained:

Before he discovered deer whistles, a supervisor for an Arkansas utility came up with his own plan to scare deer off the dark country roads. He taped the barking of his neighbor's dogs, rigged an amplified speaker to the front of his truck and then broadcast the tape as he cruised down highways.
But he abandoned the scheme, amid concern that the barking was not only scaring deer, but awakening residents of southern Arkansas.

:rudolf:

Loud Pipes and Passing lamps, But the most effective part is a pair of sharp eyes. Even with all of that here in Southern Missouri we still have a lot of vehicle / deer accidents. I have worked several with motorcycles. A good friend of mine hit a nice 8 pt. buck 2 yrs. ago. It broke his leg, and the bike suffered a lot of damage. I keep telling him that he needs to use his .308 it would be a lot better and easier on his body. Longer seasons are needed where the numbers are high. Missouri Conservation Commission is wanting to start Elk Restoration here in Southern Mo. Can you imagine hitting one of them on a bike?????:depressed::bobby:

To each their own..ANYTHING that makes a deer more jittery is not for me. Deer do not run away,they run any direction so if you spook them they are totally unpredictable.I live in HIGH deer population. The best thing to do is keep your eyes on them.. if possible to slow down before you get there without disturbing them the better off you are.Bottom line IF you like them and think it works,go for it. Ill be more defensive and pay closer attention and pray like crazy they dont hit me or I hit them.

All wise and sound suggestions. We have one stretch of I-575 north of Cherokee County GA (35 miles north of ATL) that is particularly dangerous in the Fall with deer, but we try like hell not to ever ride that route after dark. Otherwise, we're not too inundated with them in the ATL metro area. Just up in the north GA mountains.

I bought a bike with the exact same "deer whistles" on it. As an engineer, after careful analysis, I concluded that there is NO WAY such a stupid "snake oil" contraption will prevent you from hitting any deer parallel to your direction of travel nor directly in front of you.

The "whistle" as depicted in the photo, could (if it did) make sound AS THE AIR STREAMED THROUGH IT, which means any possible sound would come out BEHIND the back of the whistle.:detective:

Hardly a chance of scaring any deer in front of you, nor to any point forward of the parallel of it. And as far as it not emitting any "audible sound", does anyone have any evidence that frequencies beyond the human spectrum scare deer??

SNAKE OIL, nothing more, my friend. Not worth even the $7.50 for them!

Now rattling some antlers together WILL BRING CURIOUS DEER in the vicinity nearby, on occasion.

All wise and sound suggestions. We have one stretch of I-575 north of Cherokee County GA (35 miles north of ATL) that is particularly dangerous in the Fall with deer, but we try like hell not to ever ride that route after dark. Otherwise, we're not too inundated with them in the ATL metro area. Just up in the north GA mountains.

I live an hour west of you in Haralson County. I make it a point to try and not ride after dark around here. With the evenings getting cooler and the hunters in the woods, the deer burgers on the hoof are stiring around. I have demolished one car with deer. I don't even want to think about what they can do to me or my bike!

Maybe its just me, I've NEVER seen feeding deer on the side of the run up and run across the road when they were approached. All the times I've seen them running onto the road, they came out of the woods, field, etc in a full run as if from someone or something was chasing them.

Unlike cows and horses who to me are very unpredictable.

Maybe its just me, I've NEVER seen feeding deer on the side of the run up and run across the road when they were approached. All the times I've seen them running onto the road, they came out of the woods, field, etc in a full run as if from someone or something was chasing them.

Unlike cows and horses who to me are very unpredictable.

Last spring I was coming home from work and a deer was grazing on the side of the road just over a hilltop near where I live. He wouldn't have it any other way than to come across the road in from of me. I slammed on the brakes and got down to maybe 25 or 30 mph before running into the side of him. Messed up the from end of the bike a little. After getting the bike fixed I installed the deer whistles. I can't say they helped one bit! So I took them back off after reading some of the studies that have been referred to on this website. Oh, and as to the reference about loud pipes and running lights, I think deer will get use to those also but I still have both! The lights help more than anything else other than paying close attention to the sides of the road!! I missed a 6 pointer and a couple of buttheads just this morning by not more then 15 feet on the side of the road grazing!!

• 4 years later...

I have some weird questions regarding this post but it would mean a lot if you could answer them:

1.What is the deer's name?

2.When the deer was crying, did his tears drip off the tip of his nose as they streamed down his snout?

3.How salty would that deer's tears taste on my tongue if I licked them directly from his snout?

4.How warm were those tears streaming down the deer's snout?

A: Freezing ice cold

B: Cold

C: Warm

D: Hot

E: Scalding hot

5.Exactly how would that deer react if I licked the tears streaming down his snout with my tongue? Because every time I read this post, I fantasize licking every last tear streaming down the deer's snout.

PLEASE answer back!